UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 80 for Marvel's 80th? Anyone? Anyone?

elhonez

As with Marvel Minimates MAX statues, any Marvel Vinimates offerings would have to include Marvel’s most popular characters. So a Fin Fang Foom would have to be offered with an Iron Man. A Giant Man would have to be paired with someone like Captain America. A sentinel would have to be offered with a Wolverine. 

Which would be fine with me. 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, MisterPL said:

As with Marvel Minimates MAX statues, any Marvel Vinimates offerings would have to include Marvel’s most popular characters. So a Fin Fang Foom would have to be offered with an Iron Man. A Giant Man would have to be paired with someone like Captain America. A sentinel would have to be offered with a Wolverine. 

Bit confused but willing to be put on the right path........did any minimate MAX statues include 'other' characters??

RANT WARNING:

I collect Vinimates .......... despite the fact that they are perhaps the most infuriating, nonsensical, larger , frozen renditions of a great,iconic, articulated 2" toy action figure . A line of toys that lampoon  'licensing'.

"Oooh I love my Vinimates collection & let's meet up for a beer "  ............isn't something that I'm likely to respond to in my last few precious years ....& TBQFH I can't see anyone else getting a similar PM....................... ever.          

Edited by buttheadsmate

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Yup - this would wok just fine for me.

52 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

Bit confused but willing to be put on the right path........did any minimate MAX statues include 'other' characters??

Only 2 Max statues ever made it to retail; the Sentinel & Galactus. Prototypes existed of Spider-Man & Wolverine... and I think some lucky bugger here might actually have them! 
But no - they did not come with a Minimate figure. I am pretty sure they were licensed under a different agreement as ceramic statues. I wouldn't be surprised if the licensing had prohibited the statues and figures from being sold together.

Maybe as a looking back at marvel history they could do some first appearance versions of characters we haven't gotten that look for before with the watcher as the builder figure.

Human Torch and Namor for a begining of marvel thing

for the other figures any of the following

Captain Britain

Meggan

She-Hulk

Black Widow

Hawkeye

Captain Marvel

Daredevil

Nebula

Star Lord

Mantis

Wonder Man

Medusa

Rogue

and probably a bunch of other cool FA looks I haven't thought of.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:10 PM, Nessex said:

Only 2 Max statues ever made it to retail; the Sentinel & Galactus. Prototypes existed of Spider-Man & Wolverine... and I think some lucky bugger here might actually have them! 

Entertainment Earth suggests that Spider-Man was never manufactured but Wolverine was “sold out.”

Either they’re mistaken or there’s a nominal quantity of Wolverine Max statues out there. 

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/marvel-minimates-max-wolverine-statue/dc71862

All of the Spiderman and Wolverine Max statues that exist were never bought at retail.  Only Sentinel and Galactus were sold at retail and they were a little on the expensive side, IMO.  I think that and the shock of no articulation turned all but the most die-hard collectors off to buying these.  They quickly went to the bargain bin, then dried up, then soared to a premium on the collectors market.  (feel free to correct me if I am mistaken)

11 hours ago, Shanester said:

All of the Spiderman and Wolverine Max statues that exist were never bought at retail.  Only Sentinel and Galactus were sold at retail and they were a little on the expensive side, IMO.  I think that and the shock of no articulation turned all but the most die-hard collectors off to buying these.  They quickly went to the bargain bin, then dried up, then soared to a premium on the collectors market.  (feel free to correct me if I am mistaken)

This I feel is correct. I however was in college and poor and couldn’t even buy them at bargain! 

I'd think 8 characters, one representing each decade, would seem like an obvious way to implement the idea.

If we're discussing things that are basically impossible a set of minimates on individual vintage-styled cards would be a great way to celebrate the anniversary.

It depends on how many sets retailers sell. 

My LCS typically sells two full sets from the one case they order. The other set lingers on the pegs until it sells. If they’re getting another set that may collect dust, it may not be worth it to order a full case if the LCS can only move half of it instead of 2/3. 

I guess we’ll see. 

Thinking more about this: it doesn't need to land this year, necessarily. Just brand the wave "80 Years of Marvel" and "Wave 80!!"

Marvel Legends will soon pass up Minis, but right now no other Marvel toyline has gone this many waves before. It feels like something that should be celebrated.

6 hours ago, elhonez said:

Thinking more about this: it doesn't need to land this year, necessarily. Just brand the wave "80 Years of Marvel" and "Wave 80!!"

Marvel Legends will soon pass up Minis, but right now no other Marvel toyline has gone this many waves before. It feels like something that should be celebrated.

How many waves is ML up to now? 

Counting BAF waves, both existing and announced, and including exclusive BAFs (Wal-Mart Giant-Man wave, Fin Fang Foom wave, etc.), you get 68 BAFs.

Plus 9 non-BAF TB waves, plus the Epic Heroes non-BAF wave, you get 78.

...If you include the Vintage waves, ML will be up to 81 once all of the announced stuff hits the market (spring of next year).

22 hours ago, youbastards said:

If you include all the Best Of/Greatest Hits/TRU/Walgreens waves, Marvel Minimates are around 150 "waves" without counting any boxsets or convention exclusives.

That seems like something a business would want to try and capitalize on, especially when confidence in the brand is at a low.

I think it depends on how you are defining confidence. We have to remember that we are a small niche community and there are other Minimate collectors that don’t engage with us and may actually be happy and not have any worries. 

I plan to do make a big deal of Series 80, but I do wonder if hearing a toy line is at 80 series would make people more or less interested in starting a collection. Availability and all that. Celebrating the 80th Birthday of a universe or character is different. Comics have omnibuses.

thoughts?