UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 80 for Marvel's 80th? Anyone? Anyone?

elhonez

We can re-title this thread when DST is ready to start dropping hints, but I'm starting this to suggest that it would be swell if DST were able to release a comic-based Wave 80 in time for Marvel's 80th anniversary. Zac, any remote chance of a Wave 80 landing in 2019, or are we already in 2020 territory?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at the legends releases for 80th I would take a Hulk with ripped shirt, I would have said an updated Iron Man Classic in shiny candy red and gold but the latest Holo Iron Man basicly covers that already.

Everything one can be still picked up from the best of range except for FA Wolverine and Thor.

It would have been a nice coincidence for this to happen wave 80 on the 80th anniversary an all.

33 minutes ago, hellpop said:

Yeah, this would have been a really good idea to give some juice to the line.

I'm surprised DST doesn't jump into these things. Like the Marvel Studios 10th Anniversary and now the 80th. It seems like a good way to get some attention.

If I remember, DST didn't participate in the 10th anniversary thing because they would need to reopen the licenses to all those past movies; I don't know if that would have been worth the hassle. But for the 80th, yeah, they'd just have to brand a wave. And with them being so close to the 80th Minimate wave it seems like a perfect idea. Even if they do it now when they solicit the 80th wave they've already missed Comic Con, where they'd have the biggest possible audience of both fans and media.

2 hours ago, hellpop said:

If I remember, DST didn't participate in the 10th anniversary thing because they would need to reopen the licenses to all those past movies; I don't know if that would have been worth the hassle. But for the 80th, yeah, they'd just have to brand a wave. And with them being so close to the 80th Minimate wave it seems like a perfect idea. Even if they do it now when they solicit the 80th wave they've already missed Comic Con, where they'd have the biggest possible audience of both fans and media.

Lest we forget we do have NYCC still on the docket so maybe they will have something for that because I would seriously be gobsmacked if they didn’t do this. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I'm not really sure what would make an 80th anniversary minimates assortment different from a regular wave. It's not like ML where a lot of the biggest characters were in desperate need of redos, so we'd probably just get a bunch of rehashed versions of things we already have several times over.

Well the Legends gave us quite a few characters we didn't have. Korg, Grandmaster, Skurge, Peggy, Ghost, Luis. And then the classic versions of others. Obviously, DST can't offer most of these but could definitely do Korg and Miek, Luis, and... I don't know! I haven't thought of anything else!

I’d greatly appreciate a Fantastic Four that looks like Jack-Kirby-Fantastic-Four.jpg?ssl=1

But made with modern Minimate sensibilities and accessories. 

But if we were doing the 80th anniversary of Marvel comics in general then it’d have to be 1930s pulp heroes or ones who appeared within a year of October 1939. 

The Human Torch and Black Widow (Claire Voyant)

Angel and Arakus the Vision (yes he’s a month off. I don’t really care because I like his design)

Dorma and Namor

BAF hell if I know. Phineas Horton? Unflamed Human Torch? That guy from the Marvels miniseries? The original Ka-Zar maybe. I kinda got to the bottom of the barrel for the 1939-1940 heroes. 

It's SUPER tenuous, but I'd kinda love a bunch of MCU characters in their unmade 616 looks.
It doesn't really have a lot to do with the Marvel 80th, but a wave that paired any of the 616 versions of Mantis, Iron Monger, Whiplash, Malekith, Heimdall, Batroc, Nebula, Agent 13, Yondu, Ayesha, Shuri, M'Baku, Killmonger, etc... with big name classics would be kinda cool.

Edited by Nessex

It definitely wouldn't be popular around here, but I think an "80 for the 80th" wave that featured new versions of some of the big guns would be a cool idea. Maybe try to do a two-pack each for the Golden, Silver, Bronze, and Modern Ages. You could do something like:

Sub-Mariner/Human Torch
Steve Ditko Spider-Man/First Appearance Doc Ock
Daredevil/Bullseye
Iron Man/Black Panther (or some of the several new characters that have been introduced in the last decade)

That's off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are better ideas. But it would be a cool way to get a little attention.

3 hours ago, hellpop said:

It definitely wouldn't be popular around here, but I think an "80 for the 80th" wave that featured new versions of some of the big guns would be a cool idea. Maybe try to do a two-pack each for the Golden, Silver, Bronze, and Modern Ages. You could do something like:

Sub-Mariner/Human Torch
Steve Ditko Spider-Man/First Appearance Doc Ock
Daredevil/Bullseye
Iron Man/Black Panther (or some of the several new characters that have been introduced in the last decade)

That's off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are better ideas. But it would be a cool way to get a little attention.

I feel like the Bronze Age offering would need to be a redo of Infinity Gauntlet Thanos and either a Wolverine or Ghost Rider. 

Modern Age should be Kamala Khan Ms Marvel or Miles Morales Spider Man and The Maker. I say the Maker because he’d rep both a villain made in the modern age and the Ultimate Universe.  

I suppose as a BAF one should do some kind of Captain America as he’s the one guy who has remained continually relevant for every age of Marvel.

Edited by Trekker 42

If only we could have Marvel Vinimates, we could do some cool 80th anniversary packs. Large characters like the Watcher, Ultimo, Fin Fang Foom and Galactus packed in with some other minimates. 

Maybe a classic Avengers set with a Giant-Man Vinimate. A Thor set with Ymir or a Frost Giant. All wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, RedTiger95 said:

If only we could have Marvel Vinimates, we could do some cool 80th anniversary packs. Large characters like the Watcher, Ultimo, Fin Fang Foom and Galactus packed in with some other minimates. 

Maybe a classic Avengers set with a Giant-Man Vinimate. A Thor set with Ymir or a Frost Giant. All wishful thinking.

The DREAM!

17 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

I’d really want the BAF to be the Watcher. Remember when Toybiz did this? We got some great figures.

That's such a good idea! Four two-packs covering 80 years of Marvel history with the Watcher as a BAF. I love it!

On 7/31/2019 at 6:14 PM, RedTiger95 said:

That sound hella rad!