UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Godzilla Vinimates

DSTZach

Remembered I had access to a BAM store and went there, found the exclusive and the mecha Godzilla and got my first G vinimates. I had ordered the HCF exclusives a while back from a local shop here and this thread reminded me to check on the status. Well it turns out that even though I filled out the previews form to order them (first time ever by the way after years of Zach saying it), they didn't order them. They apparently do not take previews orders unless you subscribe there (even though they handed me the paper and watched me fill it out), and the guy who orders all their previews stuff said he never saw a form or ordered anything for HCF and can't now they are all gone.

Like I know we say it all the time but why is it so hard to buy DST products? I can find select figures and now the pvc statues but everything else is covered in cooties for these friggin shops.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The effort that must go into producing just 250 vinimates each time .......for a total return of perhaps  $3000 is beyond (my) ken .

Also .......I'm almost hoping that DST has lost the rights for further Godzilla Minimates because if they do & they're not interested in producing them then I really "give up" .

That is a short production #; I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled. I've been on the fence with Vinimates. I've given quite a few as gifts (mostly NBX and a few DC ones) but don't have many in my own collection. To me the Godzilla line translates well to Vinimates; keep the variations and kaiju coming!

On 11/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, buttheadsmate said:

The effort that must go into producing just 250 vinimates each time .......for a total return of perhaps  $3000 is beyond (my) ken .

We try to make it as easy as possible. Most (not all) are tacked onto the production run of the figure it's a variant for. We made Shadow and Glow MechaGodzilla when we made regular Mechagodilla. Sometimes we use the regular version's packaging for the small-run figures. And while it may not seem like a lot of money, it's an affordable product that gets fans to the booth, puts their eyes on our other products, and it adds up if we have a few different pieces for them to grab. Plus, as the price creeps up, it gets harder to sell 250 of anything at a highly competitive show. 

On 11/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, buttheadsmate said:

Also .......I'm almost hoping that DST has lost the rights for further Godzilla Minimates because if they do & they're not interested in producing them then I really "give up" .

I don't know if we still have the rights. Not sure what the sales were like on the last set. You could ask Chuck in Ask DST?

On 11/26/2019 at 2:32 PM, Lurch77 said:

To me the Godzilla line translates well to Vinimates; keep the variations and kaiju coming!

In terms of a larger scale I tend to agree but in terms of style they're like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. There are so many sculpted elements hiding the body that the fact that it's based on Minimates at all is lost. They're just another super-deformed vinyl figure.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know that we need to support things in order for more to be made later, but frankly I’m not getting burned again. When Ghidorah is announced I’ll go back and get the rest of them. 

I used to be far more optimistic than this. Now I'm to the point where I can't even get excited about new property announcements (even when they specifically mention Minimates), see product prototypes, or preorder want I want well in advance.

I was jazzed about Pacific Rim Minimates and they never reached the concept stage. I preordered John Wick 2 Minimates before I saw any of the movies only to have them canceled a year later. So if Ghidorah is a dealbreaker, I totally get it. 

Now, who wants a DELUXE Godzilla vs. Ghidorah 2-pack with a package that would allow for a decently scaled Ghidorah Vinimate?

10 hours ago, MisterPL said:

I used to be far more optimistic than this. Now I'm to the point where I can't even get excited about new property announcements (even when they specifically mention Minimates), see product prototypes, or preorder want I want well in advance.

I was jazzed about Pacific Rim Minimates and they never reached the concept stage. I preordered John Wick 2 Minimates before I saw any of the movies only to have them canceled a year later. So if Ghidorah is a dealbreaker, I totally get it. 

Now, who wants a DELUXE Godzilla vs. Ghidorah 2-pack with a package that would allow for a decently scaled Ghidorah Vinimate?

Took me a second to guess that is I think Mothra in the middle of those two. My mind first went to someones cats pooped in the picture.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...