UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rocketeer?! Maybe? Could it be possible?

So I just saw an update of DST's November solicitations, which includes this:

ROCKETEER-PREMIERE-STATUE.jpg

This is the first DST Rocketeer piece that I've ever seen. Is it even remotely possible that we might get a Rocketeer box set? I think I might faint dead away if we did.

If they can get the Disney parks and stores on board, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

Otherwise the challenge is to design the product so that it encourages multiple purchases. Load it with alternate looks with enough display value that collectors will say, “Golly, I’m gonna have to order at least two!”

17 hours ago, MisterPL said:

If they can get the Disney parks and stores on board, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

Otherwise the challenge is to design the product so that it encourages multiple purchases. Load it with alternate looks with enough display value that collectors will say, “Golly, I’m gonna have to order at least two!”

Agreed. My only two cents would be that it’s challenging to get the parks to carry anything. Last time I went I didn’t see any minimates on Disney property but I do remember they had them at Islands of Adventure but that was years ago.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Are there any other characters with anything approaching a costume in the movie?

Because otherwise $25 seems like a lot to ask for one figure people want and three civilians, and RoI for a single two pack doesn't seem like it'd be high enough unless it was promoting a larger line.

I mean, you could say the same thing for John Wick, or the Dark Tower, or any number of other movie sets. Personally, I think releasing more two packs like the Iron Giant would be the way to go, and I could even see them releasing just the Rocketeer as a single. Or why not a Minimate/Vinimate combo set?

As far as I remember, Dark Tower didn't do particularly well. People are already worried about John Wick being cancelled, and it definitely has more current media presence than the Rocketeer.

I hadn't thought about the Iron Giant example, though. That'd probably work, with a Rocketeer vinimate and a two pack of him and Jennifer Connelly or the villain.

2 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Are there any other characters with anything approaching a costume in the movie?

Because otherwise $25 seems like a lot to ask for one figure people want and three civilians, and RoI for a single two pack doesn't seem like it'd be high enough unless it was promoting a larger line.

Man...  Do you remember the days when we would all bitch about not having civilians?  I remember in the old message boards, the constant cry for someone that wasn't in a costume.  My how things have changed.  That's not to say I don't totally agree with you.  DST has totally overcompensated in recent years and I think have forgotten how much fun a colorful, toyetic figure is.  And I feel like, even though I have no basis in numbers, that those mainly civilian waves - like Dark Tower, some of the MCU stuff, Pulp Fiction, or the View Askew stuff - didn't quite have the sell through everyone wanted them to.

THAT said, I still think you could make a killer Rocketeer boxset.  Give me, like, a Cliff in his Rocketeer getup, a Movie Starlett Jenny Blake, a secret nazi Neville Sinclar (with either a reversible evil look or a second head), and a monsterous Lothar (like a Joe Fixit size mobster); toss in some tommy guns, a Mouser, and a sword and I think you have a contender.  Now that's a set I could totally see on the shelf; if it sells or not...  well, I would buy one at least.

6 hours ago, funkguerilla said:

Man...  Do you remember the days when we would all bitch about not having civilians?  I remember in the old message boards, the constant cry for someone that wasn't in a costume.  My how things have changed.  That's not to say I don't totally agree with you.  DST has totally overcompensated in recent years and I think have forgotten how much fun a colorful, toyetic figure is.  And I feel like, even though I have no basis in numbers, that those mainly civilian waves - like Dark Tower, some of the MCU stuff, Pulp Fiction, or the View Askew stuff - didn't quite have the sell through everyone wanted them to.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Those licenses aren’t toy friendly. I started laughing when I heard they were going to make Dark tower mates as it was pretty well known in entertainment circles that that movie was going to bomb. I was surprised about Pulp Fiction has a strong following but it had been years since View Askew did anything popular. 

I think Rocketeer though hits some key quadrants: it’s fun, nostalgic, timely and makes sense. I would be surprised if they made more than a 4 pack though. 

One problem a lot of these movie sets have is that they don't appeal to comic book shop buyers (meaning the people who place orders for their shops). The Rocketeer would at least in theory do much better with them than, say, Dark Tower or John Wick. Anecdotally, it seems to me that Rocketeer merchandise does pretty well, moreso than you'd expect for a 25 year old movie that wasn't a hit. Certainly the fact that the movie outfit is basically indistinguishable from the comics helps.

I would be surprised to see DST offer more than a 4-pack for The Rocketeer (despite having comic book/film crossover appeal) but I didn’t thing they’d go as deep as they did with Alien either. I’d have no problem coming up with an entire assortment. 

Both The Rocketeer and Captain America were directed by Joe Johnston and the characters demand to share shelf space!

You could always make the evil Nazi Rocketmen that appeared in the animated film segment.

Would love a Rocketeer, Lothar, Jenny and Dalton.

I'd make sure it got solicited cause I'd order a ton myself! Rocketeer merch has increased in recent years, but it's still relatively rare in the grand scheme of things.

• 3 weeks later...