UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2019

Mattallica

I’m not surprised there’s no minimates for any other DST lines because they don’t have any other licenses, except Castlevania, that could make even one boxset that has a chance of being produced. Rocketeer? Black Hole? No chance too niche.

After TMNT, Bruce Lee, Kingdom Hearts and Sonic all died I’m sure they are reluctant to try anything else. Although I believe the Sonic set didn’t do well due to really bad designs (except Robotnik they were ugly) Horrible character selection, along w an ugly Mickey design and the numerous quality issues w Wave 1 doomed Kingdom Hearts. 

The only positive is Walgreens is still getting new product (that’s a lot of sales) though the animated waves have become weaker (10 & 11) and since they are based on shows which aren’t very popular I wonder how much longer they will last.

The lack of product worries me because people will move on without a steady stream. If we are down to 3-4 waves (only 6 plus a BAF) and a couple Walgreens waves per yr how many people will loose interest and what are the chances of bringing in new customers?

There’s a Scorpion and Sub-zero bust in the DST display so they have MK in some manner but I wouldn’t bet on minimates being made. Although I’d sure like to be wrong.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, funkguerilla said:

For the record, I would much rather a line of life support during this down period than giving it a definite ending.

This. Absolutely this.
DST have *just* given us the much requested, but still exceptionally niche X-Factor wave. Luke got a Multiple Man exclusive. The line is going strong with Marvel. I love that people want more and have passion for the figures, but forecasting and calling for the end of days when we're still getting great stuff is a bit much.

Another positive thing to add - Marvel Series 76 sold out quickly at Diamond and my other suppliers. Now perhaps DST produced less, but a fast sell-out is still a good thing for the health of the line, and also the perceived health of the line by other retailers.

Unrelated to minimates, but:

Damn! The cell shading looks so bloody cool on these

image.png.74f8cd1953c2e37ab0cf519d3fe8c960.png

Jean's not *quite* right (can't put my finger on it. Maybe the hard black lines don't suit her face as much?). But the others look freaking cool.
Link: https://news.toyark.com/2019/07/18/sdcc-2019-diamond-select-toys-marvel-354015

Edited by Nessex

It's nice that Marvel Minimates at least appear to be stable, if not exactly what I would call healthy (for example, it's been years now since we saw a comics-themed box set), but that has little to do with the status of Minimates overall. In the past few years DST has been unable to sustain would-be popular properties beyond a series or two; has failed to garner enough orders to deliver on announced sets multiple times; and stopped even displaying prototypes for Minimates among their new products. It's just clear that Minimates isn't a priority anymore.

I don't believe that Minimates will ever fully go away, at least not while Chuck is there, because DST owns it and have invested a lot into them. But I think we are definitely at the point that DST needs to start fresh. And we've already talked about this a ton and we all already know this, but it does suck that, at the biggest show of the year, we've seen one new wave of (frankly underwhelming) Marvel animated Minimates. And hey, maybe DST does have a strategy and will announce some new figures at the DST panel, and Zach will follow up by putting out prototypes for Pennywise and Westworld and (oh please oh please oh please) the Rocketeer. I'd love to be provel wrong.

Also, it's just downright annoying to see other companies doing cool things with their (IMHO) inferior products. Like, Mezco is making 5 POA figures from the Fleischer Superman cartoon! That's so cool! I'll buy those even though I don't like that style of figure! I miss the days that Minimates was one of those toy lines.

Oh, and I have to say that Mattel's WWE/Ghostbusters and Masters of the Universe toys are the dumbest things I've seen in a long, long time.

Brotherhood box set November of last year, so about 9 months ago, and before that the last comic box set was... the Villain Zombies 3 set in October of 2015. Thinking about it now, this is kinda disappointing considering we got 6 comic box sets between December of 2013 and December of 2014. That's 6 in one year, while we've gotten 1 comic box set in the past 3.5 years

I wasn't that impressed with the Marvel Legends reveals from Wed/Thurs (though it is nice to see a company realize Endgame was a big deal) but yesterday was really impressive. I think that line has become my primary Marvel collecting focus, I just can't count on minimates anymore.

The Mega Construx MOTU stuff is also awesome. I'm going to have to come up with a way to fit it all in a display.

So DST has Avatar now and we aren’t getting minimates. Booooo!

This is torture! DST now have some of my favs Castlevania, Mortal Kombat, Avatar and we aren’t getting squat!

Maybe they can get Hellboy next and not make minimates just to drive me over the edge. ?

17 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Saying that we aren't getting Minimates for licenses we literally just announced is a little premature, but we are certainly looking at new licenses that will work for Minimates.

Oh good! I do hope you find a good fit. I’d like to see something slot into that Turtles/Ghostbusters/Aliens kind of area. 

Also Zach who’s the BAF of that Guardians series? (Pleasedontsayghostrider)

On 7/22/2019 at 11:13 PM, DSTZach said:

Saying that we aren't getting Minimates for licenses we literally just announced is a little premature, but we are certainly looking at new licenses that will work for Minimates.

I hope this is true, and that we're just being pessimistic. But it would be unusual for a new license to be announced without Minimates as part of the first wave of products, only for them to show up later. Did Muppets do this, maybe? I can't think of any other recent examples, but no doubt someone will jump in.

Star-Lord + Warlock

Gamora + Darkhawk

Ghost Rider + Angela

BAF Moondragon

The license I was thinking about has not been announced. But I believe we announced a few WIck products before showing Minimates. 

Not 100% sure we'll look at MM for OTHER announced licenses like IT, Tron, Black Hole, but if other products do well, maybe. 

Edited by DSTZach