UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2019

Mattallica

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

That's been the convention standard for a few years now I believe.

Up until now, they’ve always had a general DST panel and a separate Minimates panel. I never went to the general panel, but the Minimates ones never had GREAT turnout, so I suppose combining them makes sense. 

On 6/29/2019 at 9:59 PM, CBMM1 said:

@DSTZach Are you guys going to limiting the quantity of the Concept Sandtrooper sold per day or is it going to be sold through first come first served? I’m trying to figure out if I need to swing by first thing on preview night. 

Sometimes we do a cutoff each day based on sales, but mainly its first come first served.

“Maximum Venom” is what the lil card says. 

What a cool box set though. I recognize Cap and Hulk venomized. Then there’s some sort of Spider-Man and a different Venom. Does anyone recognize them? They look so cool

I looked it up, looks as though it is based on the 3rd and upcoming season of the current Spider-Man cartoon which releases in 2020. Impressed that DST has their hands on designs this early for characters not being seen on TV for a while. Though I am a lil' dissapointed it's not based on any comics (say the upcoming Absolute Carnage), those designs are really unique and definitely stand out among symbiotes!

Toyark has DST galleries up. They include products for the Rocketeer, Westworld, the Black Hole, It, and Castlevania, plus holdovers like Sonic, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Godzilla.

Know what all those have in common? No Minimates.

I wish that Chuck would just come out and say that they're not planning to make Minimates for any new licenses anymore, and that it's basically just a Marvel exclusive toy line at this point. They don't have the John Wick Minimates on display, which sure isn't a good sign.

I still find it hard to believe that Minimates aren't useful to them. They were always relatively cheap to make and just helped them spread their licenses out to be more robust. It seems like that would still be the case. I guess I don't know what has changed. 

They just don't have any buyers without TRU around. The comic shop market basically dried up, with most of us moving to buying from a few online retailers and shops dropping Minimates (opinions certainly vary as to what order that happened).

9 minutes ago, hellpop said:

They just don't have any buyers without TRU around. The comic shop market basically dried up, with most of us moving to buying from a few online retailers and shops dropping Minimates (opinions certainly vary as to what order that happened).

Agreed, I don't think it's been a lack of demand, but a lack of distribution channels to fill demand

For the record, I would much rather a line of life support during this down period than giving it a definite ending.  I am very pro 3-4 waves a year and the occasional movie (MCU or not) boxset.  It's just like the old days when the line was just beginning.

Anyway, also, I didn't realize those were two different sets on display.  I'm super down for that Arana and maybe that Doc Ock.  And that Venomized boxset isn't quite my cup of tea, but I can't deny that I'm intrigued by those designs.  Color me excited!