UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The end is nigh? Talk amongst yourselves.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Yes, with the exception of Marvel and the Hasbro licenses, there's nothing to look forward to. 

If Transformers and GI Joe go the way of Rocky III and John Wyck, I'd say the line is done.

I don't think that's going to happen personally, and hope these licenses will help minimates regain some market share.

But it also concerns me that they don't seem concerned with maintaining a web presence for product lines other than what's for sale right now. We'll see how things shake out. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, cylonchaney said:

If Transformers and GI Joe go the way of Rocky III and John Wyck, I'd say the line is done.

I don't think that's going to happen personally, and hope these licenses will help minimates regain some market share.

But it also concerns me that they don't seem concerned with maintaining a web presence for product lines other than what's for sale right now. We'll see how things shake out. Fingers crossed.

I tend to agree. If DST has finally dedicated some human resources to their web store then I expect it to be updated accordingly. It'd be great if a "GI Joe Minimates" Google search led to a placeholder on their site that read "COMING SOON!"

But, yeah, it's all about the pre-orders. Hopefully if folks decide against Transformers that don't transform and the assortment gets canceled, it won't stop DST from soliciting other lines like Power Rangers and Micronauts.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Turtle said:

So Diamond Distributors just lost Marvel.  I realize that isn't DST, but it is a massive hit for the Geppi group.  Who knows what, if any, effect this will have on minimates long term.  

I'm not sure which is more profitable for Diamond, the comics or the merchandise. I've been waiting for someone to snatch up DST for a while now.

I'd no idea who Mr.Geppi was until that wonderful Minimate promo arrived on the scene but I took the opportunity (then) to read 'his' wiki page . I am long enough in the tooth to not absorb & believe everything I read on a wiki page but it is worth reading .  

Penguin ,the new distributor, is also an interesting company to read up on but I'm guessing that by the time you've got your head around Geppi then you'll be less interested in Penguin.

My personal conclusion is that on the face of it nothing much will change with the actual distribution of the merchandise.

BTW you might also want to read up on the Sherman Antitrust Act which the US congress passed in 1890 which has no bearing at all on the distribution of comics.

No sarcasm was used in my post .:whistling:

Edited by buttheadsmate

I hate to admit it, but I've definitely lost a lot of passion for the line.  Some if it has been due to limited product releases (as a result of the loss of TRU and fewer waves per year).  I was pleasantly surprised to see a new GI Joe wave, and may even have to track down that set.  

The thing that set Minimates apart from other products for me was the ability to produce newer costumes for established characters quicker than most other toy lines, while also showcasing the lesser known characters that may have never seen a toy release before.  We've seen less of that lately, but that may be the best way to bring the line to the forefront.  For example, Spider-Man has a new suit that has zero product as of right now.  The X-Men are seeing a push with recent story lines, resulting in new suits and alliances.  I think DST has a good relationship with Marvel, but seeing their big events and future plans would help them plan waves that are more topical - allowing them to reach a larger audience or be the first company to feature something "new".  I also wouldn't mind seeing a partnership with Kre-O or another block company - possibly providing the featured figure and creating C3 like playsets that would engage an entirely different market that hasn't seen Minimates before.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is a quick fix, but the more eyes they can get on the product, the better. 

On 3/31/2021 at 11:44 PM, jjwspider said:

I hate to admit it, but I've definitely lost a lot of passion for the line.  Some if it has been due to limited product releases (as a result of the loss of TRU and fewer waves per year).  I was pleasantly surprised to see a new GI Joe wave, and may even have to track down that set.  

The thing that set Minimates apart from other products for me was the ability to produce newer costumes for established characters quicker than most other toy lines, while also showcasing the lesser known characters that may have never seen a toy release before.  We've seen less of that lately, but that may be the best way to bring the line to the forefront.  For example, Spider-Man has a new suit that has zero product as of right now.  The X-Men are seeing a push with recent story lines, resulting in new suits and alliances.  I think DST has a good relationship with Marvel, but seeing their big events and future plans would help them plan waves that are more topical - allowing them to reach a larger audience or be the first company to feature something "new".  I also wouldn't mind seeing a partnership with Kre-O or another block company - possibly providing the featured figure and creating C3 like playsets that would engage an entirely different market that hasn't seen Minimates before.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is a quick fix, but the more eyes they can get on the product, the better. 

Yeah, it tough right because you have to have kid support to be in retail and succeed. Comics aren’t dead but they aren’t as big with kids as they were. So that leaves us with LCS and that industry is also not doing that great.

I would imagine that Covid impacted shipping things but apparently not. I don’t think there is a quick fix either and at best Q421-Q422 is going to be bumpy but there is a path between Marvel, Transformers, GiJoe and ?!?! That we have the potential to have monthly releases— if they can make it till then.