UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

2.5 Thanos and other tall characters.

9 hours ago, PHuds460 said:

I was looking through the minimates and noticed that Ares is the other character with a 2.5 inch form. Why is that? Characters like Thanos, Hulk, Darkseid and others should be tallee than the regular minimate.

The license that DST has with Marvel limits them to only using the 2" base body. They can make it a little bit larger by adding bulked-up parts, but they can't use a 2.5" body. The former DC license didn't have that restriction, and DC requested that certain characters be larger.

When Minimates started they were actually at that size, and you can still find some of those early big figures around. It wasn't until the Lord of the Rings line that they developed the now-familiar 2" body. I'm not sure why exactly they moved to that one, other than just liking the aesthetics better.

1 hour ago, hellpop said:

When Minimates started they were actually at that size, and you can still find some of those early big figures around. It wasn't until the Lord of the Rings line that they developed the now-familiar 2" body. I'm not sure why exactly they moved to that one, other than just liking the aesthetics better.

Marvel was where they developed it actually. Marvel Series 1 was around a year before LOTR.

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, Trekker 42 said:

And the first time Darkseid was made they didn’t think of it. So yeah. It was cool while it lasted but it wasn’t a long term thing. 

I don't know who created the Recipe but I did love the look of the Darkseid head and cap on a Blastarr body.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, luke314pi said:

The license that DST has with Marvel limits them to only using the 2" base body. They can make it a little bit larger by adding bulked-up parts, but they can't use a 2.5" body. The former DC license didn't have that restriction, and DC requested that certain characters be larger.

Darkseid was part of the C3 line, which was a DC license under the purview of Chuck at DST, who notoriously objects to using multiple body sizes.

Ares, Bane, Brainiac 13, et al were manufactured by DST as a third party for DC Direct. Technically there was no license agreement between the companies so DC Direct got what they asked for. I'm pretty certain that if the DCD line had continued to include Darkseid, we'd have gotten him on a 2.5" body.