UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

In the post yesterday......

On 4/8/2019 at 5:55 AM, Lurch77 said:

Very nice! I'd love to get the stl files to print one out myself.

Ditto, I started to build one, got as far as the head/chest/crotch before realizing the leg/knee joints were beyond my modelling skills. 

T.

34 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Are the balls rubber? 

I'm trying to figure out how the ball sockets are articulated. In order to hold in place, there needs to be some amount of surface tension inside that joint. 

No, the mechanics are exactly like a typical 2" minimate.  Friction baby.

It’s my understanding that the rigid plastic used on action figure bodies is ABS. The more flexible plastic used on arms, legs, and heads is PVC. 

If this Maximate is only made of one rigid material, I’m wondering how the ball joints fit into the sockets. 

55 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

It’s my understanding that the rigid plastic used on action figure bodies is ABS. The more flexible plastic used on arms, legs, and heads is PVC. 

If this Maximate is only made of one rigid material, I’m wondering how the ball joints fit into the sockets. 

Not sure what material was used for this but as CylonChaney says it's probably ABS or PLA.

I've done some regular sized minimate joint printing with PLA and it's pretty flexible, definitely flexible enough to 'pop' arms or head sockets onto ball joints that hold with friction. Also if it were an issue you could actually just print the ball joint inside the socket as you're not limited as you would be using some sort of mold.

T.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...