PrinceCuseCuse

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Red Guardian won't come with an alternate noggin?

There's not one in the packaged shots. You'd think if there was one, it be prominently displayed, not hidden behind something in the package. So no, I don't think he does. Probably holding that for a two pack of white suit Widow and masked RG

• 1 month later...

"Recent boxset sales have been poor" . I hope that I'm not taking that quote out of context .

If you look at a list of recent box-sets one stands out spectacularly ....the 'Brotherhood' set ( late 2017) which as far as I can recall the only out & out comic box-set we have had since late 2015 , Secret War Zombies .  I believe that the Brotherhood set was a success .

I consider anything 'recent' to be since late 2015 .

In that time we've had 5 Netflix box-sets , IMHO 5 of the drabbest sets of Marvel Minimates that I have ever seen. 

In that time every other box-set has been a movie box set . I'm not going to criticise those box-sets but it should be firmly borne in mind that most of those box-sets were available after the corresponding LCS/TRU/Walgreens 2 pack waves had come & gone . It should also be emphasised that the figures contained in those box-sets were far from being completely unique .

Recent Netflix & Movie box-sets have been poor ............I'll leave it there.

Edited by buttheadsmate

13 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

"Recent boxset sales have been poor" . I hope that I'm not taking that quote out of context .

If you look at a list of recent box-sets one stands out spectacularly ....the 'Brotherhood' set ( late 2017) which as far as I can recall the only out & out comic box-set we have had since late 2015 , Secret War Zombies .  I believe that the Brotherhood set was a success .

I consider anything 'recent' to be since late 2015 .

In that time we've had 5 Netflix box-sets , IMHO 5 of the drabbest sets of Marvel Minimates that I have ever seen. 

In that time every other box-set has been a movie box set . I'm not going to criticise those box-sets but it should be firmly borne in mind that most of those box-sets were available after the corresponding LCS/TRU/Walgreens 2 pack waves had come & gone . It should also be emphasised that the figures contained in those box-sets were far from being completely unique .

Recent Netflix & Movie box-sets have been poor ............I'll leave it there.

No lies detected. Well, thankfully Marvel Legends wants my money. I ordered the gray suit Widow in her Avengers jacket from Walmart. 

18 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Well, thankfully Marvel Legends wants my money.

I've been collecting Legends for a while, while also collecting Minimates, but I think it's time to move on to just one of these lines and it ain't Minimates.

I'm not sure why DST has to use silhouettes for these kinds of things, especially when we already know the design. Hasbro was able to put up images over a month ago?

I dunno, DST would really have to blow me away if they did Minimates for this movie, and aside from a white-suit Widow and Tasky 2-pack, I probably wouldn't be too interested. What I *am* interested in is the deluxe Legends set coming out: Customizable display stand, tons of effect parts, more hand options than usual

image.png.0d909aaeda860a91b9bda675f6fb212f.png

9 hours ago, PrinceCuseCuse said:

I've been collecting Legends for a while, while also collecting Minimates, but I think it's time to move on to just one of these lines and it ain't Minimates.

When I had space, I collected both but I dropped off after the Walmart exclusive Kitty Pryde Wave (2006?) I only started back up recently because their accessories are too great to pass up. Minimates is making it a lot easier to switch to Legends only since they aren’t releasing product often.

All I'd need from this movie is a 4 pack. Taskmaster, Red Guardian, Yelena, and Nat. Her white suit is dope and new, so probably that. But the black suit that I've seen for the movie is really cool too

15 hours ago, PrinceCuseCuse said:

All I'd need from this movie is a 4 pack. Taskmaster, Red Guardian, Yelena, and Nat. Her white suit is dope and new, so probably that. But the black suit that I've seen for the movie is really cool too

I’d be ok with that if they also gave us a female Red Guardian chest block too. Even if they made this four back though I’m sure it would release in August after the DVD on sale and then they would wonder why it didn’t sell well before saying no more MCU 4 packs. 

DST better have new plans for minimates if they don’t want to do boxset anymore since there’s no license they have or can get that can support waves of two packs.  Only SW & DC could and they aren’t happening.

If there are no new ideas that makes minimates Marvel only and with 2 waves of 7 and a few Walgreens releases per year interest will dwindle and minimates will die within 1-2 yrs. You can already see the disinterest on the board as releases have become less common and the amount of figs per release decrease. 

Also, I’d make the argument that it’s what’s been in the boxsets that’s causing the low sales look at the last few releases:

John Wick: The only pull from John Wick is him and a dog. There was no dog in the pack and the others characters aren’t enough to get people to buy a boxset. Wick should have been a two pack not a boxset. Asking people to pay $25 when only one fig is desirable was a mistake.

Bruce Lee: There’s been other Bruce Lee DST products cancelled. It looks like demand for Bruce Lee merch is less than expected.

Sonic: These were really ugly. Same design style on the head as Muppets and they were ugly too. Characters like this need a fully sculpted head. Just look at the Mickey from KH wave 1 to wave 2. The sculpted head is way better. No surprise these didn’t sell well enough to get more.

Endgame: A boxset of inaccurate Quantum suits. This boxset was boring and the quantum suits weren’t important or very interesting. DST got burned by inaccurate concept art. 

Captain Marvel: Captain Marvel merch didn’t sell well not just for minimates. You could see it in stores everywhere. Also, this was released way late.

I’m guessing DST will make Widow for Walgreens if not they surely won’t make Eternals and why would a store want to hold space but not have any new merch for over 1.5 yrs especially with a new buyer. 

Unless DST has some pleasant surprises in store for Toy Fair I’m not expecting anything but Wave 80 & Widow. Also, I find myself not caring about any of their current licenses or potential new ones because we won’t get any minimates from them.

Edited by fwoosheyman

After watching the trailer, I can’t help but imagine DST releasing an entire wave of Black Widow bodies with interchangeable heads à la quantum suits or Kree soldiers.

But I am genuinely excited for some updated Black Widows, Taskmaster, Red Guardian, and maybe even some army builder henchmen or something.

Hasbro is knocking it out of the park on product for this movie. That deluxe Widow with the extra accessories is killer. It does really highlight DST’s accessory shortcomings lately though.

Edited by Swarm198

54 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Endgame: A boxset of inaccurate Quantum suits. This boxset was boring and the quantum suits weren’t important or very interesting. DST got burned by inaccurate concept art. 

I bought 4 sets... but I love uniforms. 

55 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Captain Marvel: Captain Marvel merch didn’t sell well not just for minimates. You could see it in stores everywhere. Also, this was released way late.

It may be regional. In NYC I couldn’t find Carol merch. But how late it was to the party was unacceptable. 

56 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

I’m guessing DST will make Widow for Walgreens if not they surely won’t make Eternals and why would a store want to hold space but not have any new merch for over 1.5 yrs especially with a new buyer

Not in this climate. Walgreens buyers are cut throat... but with a smile. 

57 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Unless DST has some pleasant surprises in store for Toy Fair I’m not expecting anything but Wave 80 & Widow. Also, I find myself not caring about any of their current licenses or potential new ones because we won’t get any minimates from them

And here is the salt in the wound. The product is great the licenses aren’t. The good ones they do have they mismanage and are burning their canvases. They have had Buffy for decades. No Minimaates. StarTrek. A strong focus on the original with a blatant disregard for TNG, DS9, Voyager et al even though they have strong fan bases. Gotham was box sets of civilians (not all the buzzy characters) and the sets stopped once the show got costumes. Arrowverse completely ignored.   TMNT, Kingdom Hearts, The list goes on and on. 

4 minutes ago, Swarm198 said:

Hasbro is knocking it out of the park on product for this movie. That deluxe Widow with the extra accessories is killer. It does really highlight DST’s accessory shortcomings lately though.

Hasbro is KILLING IT on every level from the PR to the Marketing to the distribution to the actual product. 

14 hours ago, fwoosheyman said:

John Wick: The only pull from John Wick is him and a dog. There was no dog in the pack and the others characters aren’t enough to get people to buy a boxset. Wick should have been a two pack not a boxset. Asking people to pay $25 when only one fig is desirable was a mistake.

John Wick, his dog, and his '69 Mustang would have been a good first offering to test the waters. Assuming DST could get vehicle rights, of course.

5 hours ago, MisterPL said:

John Wick, his dog, and his '69 Mustang would have been a good first offering to test the waters. Assuming DST could get vehicle rights, of course.

This is one time I’d actually believe DST if they said they tried and couldn’t get it. Mustang is a hard brand to work with.