UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

The hardest part is the green cleavage chest. You could try Polaris which is popular or if the exposure isn’t that big of a deal Marvel girl or Viper *could* work.

That’s what I’m thinking. Have to see what color green matches first, though. 

My initial thoughts of this wave are: how cool... it would be if these were them in their 1970’s costumes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....is-is that a Darkhawk? <insert Fry “take my money gif” here>. It’s more beautiful than I could ever imagine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freaqualizer said:

.....is-is that a Darkhawk? <insert Fry “take my money gif” here>. It’s more beautiful than I could ever imagine!

Same for me. Any New Warrior gets an automatic buy but VANCE is a must have. Hopefully we get him soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

.....is-is that a Darkhawk? <insert Fry “take my money gif” here>. It’s more beautiful than I could ever imagine!

You couldn't imagine a helmet instead of a print on a regular head? The list of people who want a Darkhawk minimate more than me is awfully short but DST cheaping out on one of the most important parts of the character's look has severely damaged my interest in the figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stack32 said:

You couldn't imagine a helmet instead of a print on a regular head? The list of people who want a Darkhawk minimate more than me is awfully short but DST cheaping out on one of the most important parts of the character's look has severely damaged my interest in the figure.

No, when I made my own custom I used a decal. I think a slip on helmet would make his head look too large. I’m happy with what I see. 🥰

Edited by Freaqualizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stack32 said:

You couldn't imagine a helmet instead of a print on a regular head? The list of people who want a Darkhawk minimate more than me is awfully short but DST cheaping out on one of the most important parts of the character's look has severely damaged my interest in the figure.

Dst doesnt adhere to the old adage of "something worth doing is worth doing right or not at all"

he wears a helmet with 3d projections on it not a slipover mask ala spiderman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a sculpted helmet for Darkhawk in Wave 79 would require a tooling budget, apparently Minimates budget has been redistributed to make more $40 PVC GameStop statues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I seriously the only one not pissed by this helmet gate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A cosmic wave! 
So freaking cool. I know a lot of people have been asking after this for a while. I'm excited to see it happen.
Does anyone have a clearer pic from the panel? I'd love to get a better look at that Ghost Rider and Gamora.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The curse of doing a modern comic set of toys is that the costumes are outdated by the time they hit retail in most cases.  Minimates seems to be the exception, but I don't know that Gamora will still be in that get-up and Moondragon already isn't if the pic above is accurate.  I'm okay with the assortment.  Not disappointed, not excited... just whelmed.

And I do not suffer from helmet-gate.  I don't personally think there needs to be much in the way of detail for Minimates.  I kind of love it when they're simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense intended to his fans, but I personally don't know or care enough about Darkhawk to be concerned by how his helmet is realized.

I'm not gonna lie here, Cosmic Marvel has really never been my favorite cup of tea, so I really only have a casual knowledge of the biggest headliners. I could write you an encyclopedia on Mutants, and at least provide a few reasonable notes about Avengers or the Spiderverse... but... Space Marvel is not my area of expertise.

THAT SAID... like any good comic nerd, I've been watching the MCU form in its entirity for the past 10 years, and like many, I'm a big fan of the Guardians movies. I'm also a giant Disney Parks fan, so the fact that they're currently the only Marvel Property with a Disney ride makes me love the movie team a little bit more.

SO... Not gonna lie. I was one of the many supporters saying for years, "We need a comic book Guardians wave!" ... but I admit, when I said that... I just meant I wanted a version of the movie team I could display alongside my other comic book minimates. So this Gamora works. Perhaps this Star-Lord. But the rest of this wave is... admittedly not what I'd hoped for. I'd have greatly preferred comic versions of Groot, Drax, Rocket & Mantis (maybe even Nebula) over 2/3 of this wave... ideally all 6 of them in the red & blue uniforms. 

Honestly, the Adam Warlock & Angela minimates we have already do me just fine for those two. I'm mildly aware of Moondragon & Darkhawk, but as I said... don't know enough about either to really get excited about them. I had no idea Cosmic Ghost Rider was even a thing before I started reading this thread here today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

PS. I'm mildly concerned at the fact only 7 figures are shown for this wave (and Ghost Rider potentially noted as a build a figure?)... instead of the 9 figure format of the past few waves (8 + Build a figure) Or even the 7 or 8ish format of old (7 + a duplicate, or 7 + an army builder, or even just 8...)

Is the line scaling back? Are we only getting 3 two-packs at specialty now? If so that makes me sad.

Or is pack #4 just not ready to show off yet?

Any insight at the panel?

Edited by Gillbob316

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

PS. I'm mildly concerned at the fact only 7 figures are shown for this wave (and Ghost Rider potentially noted as a build a figure?)... instead of the 9 figure format of the past few waves (8 + Build a figure) Or even the 7 or 8ish format of old (7 + a duplicate, or 7 + an army builder, or even just 8...)

Is the line scaling back? Are we only getting 3 two-packs at specialty now? If so that makes me sad.

Or is pack #4 just not ready to show off yet?

Any insight at the panel?

Luke confirmed earlier in this thread that there will only be 3 sets in this wave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mattallica said:

Dst doesnt adhere to the old adage of "something worth doing is worth doing right or not at all"

he wears a helmet with 3d projections on it not a slipover mask ala spiderman 

Right? It's a shame because great design that did even minor characters justice was a strength of the line, now it's the exception.

 

17 hours ago, youbastards said:

Getting a sculpted helmet for Darkhawk in Wave 79 would require a tooling budget, apparently Minimates budget has been redistributed to make more $40 PVC GameStop statues.

It certainly looks like avoiding tooling was a priority for this wave. Even Cosmic Ghost Rider (who I'd be totally pumped for if I wasn't so disappointed in Darkhawk) doesn't get his guns.

 

12 hours ago, Chooch said:

The curse of doing a modern comic set of toys is that the costumes are outdated by the time they hit retail in most cases.  Minimates seems to be the exception, but I don't know that Gamora will still be in that get-up and Moondragon already isn't if the pic above is accurate.

Pretty sure that look for Gamora is already outdated.

 

8 hours ago, Gillbob316 said:

No offense intended to his fans, but I personally don't know or care enough about Darkhawk to be concerned by how his helmet is realized.

Cool, which of your favorite minor characters would you like to see done poorly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, stack32 said:

Even Cosmic Ghost Riderdoesn't get his guns

He's got a gun laying right next to him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very happy to see it's a cosmic wave. It's really hard to tell about the execution of these figures from that slide, but the only one that I'm really disappointed about is Adam Warlock, mainly because I don't like that cape in general. I also would have liked Star-Lord to be in his Annihilation-era outfit, but I'll take what I can get. Darkhawk is definitely a long-overdue character and I'm sure he will look great once he's in hand, even with a tampo instead of a removable helmet. The only real headscratcher to me is Angela, since nothing about the character suggests that she deserves a second Minimate, and I would have rather seen that spot go to another unmade character like Quasar or Phyla-Vell (or many, many other characters).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, stack32 said:

You couldn't imagine a helmet instead of a print on a regular head? The list of people who want a Darkhawk minimate more than me is awfully short but DST cheaping out on one of the most important parts of the character's look has severely damaged my interest in the figure.

So, I can see where you're coming from and I understand your frustration, but I totally disagree.  While I like slipovers when it comes to straight masks (like Captain America), the bigger bulkier stuff looks weird when it's sculpted.

More to the point, I'm just really excited to see Darkhawk.  It's so rare that we get figures of the off-the-beaten path characters, not to mention ones that are on my wishlist, that I'll take what I can get.  I'd rather have a darkhawk than worry about having the PERFECT darkhawk.  

Now bring on a Deathlok!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This line-up really suffers from the missing two-pack. A Groot, Beta Ray, or Gladiator really would have tipped the scales in this wave’s favor, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hellpop said:

It's really hard to tell about the execution of these figures from that slide,

Yes, it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand why they didn’t just do the Bendis/Gatchaman/Mass Effect GotG and be done with it. Angela is pretty much the same, and Gamora is from that era. Why mix it with the new version? Why even make this horrendous Adam Warlock (talking about the costume here; the mate seems faithful enough), and poorly cobble together a Darkhawk? I haven’t bought mates in years, but I’d have bought that GotG version simply to put them next to “Godkiller” (not really its name, but you get the point) Iron Man, the Angela we have, then I’d buy Space Knight Venom, and bam, there’s the team (Carl Manvers appeared sometimes, but eh, whatever).

They’d have been easier to make, and we’d complete a version of the team, instead of this mishmash that is now. We’re not getting the 2008 versions, fine, whatever. But why this hideous Warlock? If you’re gonna make a mash-up, at least go with the 2008 Warlock with an extra Magus head, who had a great design. Why redo Angela? If you want a woman from the current run, go with the AU Phylla-Vell. Why even do Darkhawk if you’re going to butcher him? Should’ve gone with Gladiator or hell, even Starfox or Nebula if they needed a character from the current run.

Anyway, I saw pics over at IG, and it reminded of me asking for a GotG wave back in... 2014? 2015? So I figured I’d share. It’s not like I have a stake in anymore, but, like I said, I’d have bought a NOW! Era Version just for completion’s sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like even when DST does something right, they still do something wrong. I'm completely fine with this wave! I'm excited actually. I've been keeping up with the current Guardians run so it's exciting to get figures from it!

2 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

This line-up really suffers from the missing two-pack. A Groot, Beta Ray, or Gladiator really would have tipped the scales in this wave’s favor, in my opinion.

This would be my only complaint though. Obviously they cut the assortment down to 3 2-packs, but the current Mohawk Groot, Beta Ray Bill, and/or Gladiator (who is one of the main antagonists to Quill in both this and Old Man Quill) would've really put this wave over the top for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Lobsterman said:

Yes, it is. 

In my experience every single figure looks better in hand than through these promo shots, particularly on a blurry slide. So I think we're jumping the gun here on criticizing the execution of Darkhawk in particular when we don't really have a good idea about how he looks.

And it's good to see you on here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hellpop said:

In my experience every single figure looks better in hand than through these promo shots, particularly on a blurry slide. So I think we're jumping the gun here on criticizing the execution of Darkhawk in particular when we don't really have a good idea about how he looks.

And it's good to see you on here!

Everything I have ever seen in my time as  a minimate-lover looks better in hand .:yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over in the SDCC thread Zach revealed Moondragon is the BAF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pairings that would make the most sense to me would be:

Star Lord/Adam Warlock

Cosmic Ghost Rider/Darkhawk

Gamora/Angela

& BAF Moondragon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...