UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 79

Dave

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Lot of stuff going on in the world. Hope everyone's all right.

Okay, what did I miss? Did Britney shave her head again? Does Michael Jackson have a new album? Is that why everyone's wearing a mask? I'm a little behind...

My PA shop said they ordered them back in March but they didn't show up and aren't on next week's invoice either. This is a shop that's managed to stay in business during quarantine so it's a little frustrating that, now that restrictions are being eased, they still can't get what they ordered from Diamond.

So I am liking this wave even more than I thought I would but now I feel like I need the rest of the Guardians to match with these. Can someone tell me which Rocket, Drax & Groot match up with this Star Lord and Gamora? Any help would be appreciated. Right now the movie ones are acting as place holders.

Gamora and Quill are from two different versions of the team.

Gamora's from the Bendis run, so she goes with Nova, Captain Marvel, Agent Venom and Godkiller Iron Man, but we don't have any of the other four movie Guardians from that era.

Star-Lord (and the rest of the wave) are from Donny Cates' run, which is missing Groot, Beta Ray Bill, and Phyla-Vell.

Thanks for the info. Honestly Guardians is one of the Marvel teams I know every little about. Outside of the movie versions or when they may cross over to the other titles. Plus most of that knowledge is from the 90s so I am way out of touch.

The lack of consistent costumes for the Guardians across Minimates, Marvel Legends, and even the Marvel Universe line remains a frustration.  I think that's why we see such a positive reaction to things like the X-Factor wave and the X-Men training uniforms.

You are probably right. Since I do have a lot more experience with the X-Men through the different ages from the beginning to modern times I am more more familiar with the uniforms and I tend to display them in their time era or team specific groupings.

16 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Gamora and Quill are from two different versions of the team.

Gamora's from the Bendis run, so she goes with Nova, Captain Marvel, Agent Venom and Godkiller Iron Man, but we don't have any of the other four movie Guardians from that era.

Star-Lord (and the rest of the wave) are from Donny Cates' run, which is missing Groot, Beta Ray Bill, and Phyla-Vell.

image.thumb.jpeg.a420c329f983cb8fd678a8d159c0847b.jpeg

I think this was the comic that inspired the wave, replacing Phyla-Vell with Gamora in my opinion, maybe a marketing strat as they are afraid people will not buy the pack if no one recognises any of the 2 packed together.... which is sad for fans like us :(

I miss times when the wave is not complete, we have TRU wave to fall back to complete the set...

I haven't read any of Cates' run on GotG, but on some covers Gamora is wearing this costume.  I still think this is a kind of weird, deeply unsatisfying wave, but, man, Ghost Rider looks like a damn cool minimate.  It's a cool design well executed, and I always love that, even if I have no particular attachment to the source.  

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

..................even if I have no particular attachment to the source.  

I've been on the sauce for years :rolleyes: ........... 

.......&.......after all these years....... it's still fascinating to see the reactions to a new wave.  

Angela ....why ?  I am obviously missing something here but 'those in the know ' will ...I am sure bring me up to speed.  

Having seen that GoG comic cover ...... no Surfer ?  :ohmy:

My initial reaction to......"No Groot".......was we've had 'too many' but then I realised we've had just 2 (+1) ..... who knew ?

No Beta :( ..........'tooling' obviously defeated the guy which is sad ,very sad.

-nonewbetacosoftheheadsmate

3 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I've been on the sauce for years :rolleyes: ........... 

.......&.......after all these years....... it's still fascinating to see the reactions to a new wave.  

Angela ....why ?  I am obviously missing something here but 'those in the know ' will ...I am sure bring me up to speed.  

Having seen that GoG comic cover ...... no Surfer ?  :ohmy:

My initial reaction to......"No Groot".......was we've had 'too many' but then I realised we've had just 2 (+1) ..... who knew ?

No Beta :( ..........'tooling' obviously defeated the guy which is sad ,very sad.

-nonewbetacosoftheheadsmate

I would definitely be more upset if black silver surfer was thrown in this assortment 

I have no dog in this fight, but best I can tell, we're getting 5 people from that cover in this wave Gladiator is coming next wave and that Beta-ray and Nova aren't too awfully different than previous versions of them we've gotten. So in that regard I'd say it's not too bad, overall.

While I like Guardians, the selling main selling point for me was Cosmic Ghost Rider. We need more Spirits of Vengeance & related characters in mate form. Also, how can you not like a powerhouse that not only has the Spirit of Vengeance powers topped off with the Power Cosmic? Plus learning his origin & who is behind that flaming skull makes it even better. Definitely recommend that people check up on his books.

Now that I realise that there is a Silver Surfer 'Black' I really  want one .  

I can't agree with the notion that the Bill in the picture isn't too 'different'  from what we have ........... moulded heads incorporating wings  .

Don't get me wrong because I like what I am seeing but I can't help feeling that an opportunity has been missed .............a .sleek Beta Ray & a Silver Surfer Black 2 pack sounds like a winner to me.