UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 79

Dave

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty indifferent to this series. I probably would have picked it up eventually. At this point, I'm more worried about the line as a whole than this particular series. It just seemed like a hodge-podge of cosmic characters built around Cosmic Ghost Rider with no real cohesion. I get that it incorporates new GotG members, but considering what characters got left out, I highly doubt we'd be getting the rest of the current line-up anytime soon.

Hopefully this just makes DST rethink the three packs and a BAF idea. I can't help but feel like this wave would have sold better with a full line-up like:

Cosmic Ghost Rider and Adam Warlock

Starlord and Phyla-Vell

Beta Ray Bill and Moondragon

Guardian and Darkhawk

mohawk Groot BAF

I think I've mentioned this before, but the main draw to minimates for me is getting an entire team for around $40.

10 minutes ago, Swarm198 said:

I was pretty indifferent to this series. I probably would have picked it up eventually. At this point, I'm more worried about the line as a whole than this particular series.

Unfortunately given the state of the line, all Minimates enthusiasts need to treat every release as vital to the continuation of the line and pre-order at your retailer of choice at the time of solicitation.

The days of picking and choosing are over.  Preorder or expect it to not get produced at all.

Looking at that list of canceled DST solicitations, it's clear that DST needs to clean house as the current leadership is no longer effective.

Edited by youbastards

I wouldn’t be surprised given the way things have been going. It was a really weak wave and the move to 3 packs per wave didn’t make any sense. 

I echo what Swarm said this would have been better as some kind of full GOTG team w a BAF Cosmic Ghost Rider not a random assortment of cosmic characters. 

Also I agree w YB that DST’s thinking w minimates for the past year or more has been garbage. They say boxset are easier sells so where the @$&! are some marvel boxsets?

DSTChuck says they couldn’t make more Endgame sets cause of “the schedule” yet a year later they are still making all kinds of endgame products and so are other companies. Make a damn Endgame boxset w final battle cap, Thor, iron man w gauntlet and Cap Marvel. That will sell. 

Why they haven’t tried blind boxes/bags again I have no idea. They can’t get into stores w their current way so try it with something that stores actually buy.  Also, there’s no attempt to try anything “Kickstarter-like” or more modern ways.

And who knows what’s next w Walgreens. They have a new buyer and he’s inherited an animated series that consists of the last scraps of characters from some unpopular animated shows and a movie series that doesn’t have enough movies per year now to support year round releases.  Both of these series need to be revamped/replaced can DST actually offer him something good?

Minimates is in desperate need of some kind of revamp/reintroduction w some new ways for them to be released and I don’t think DST current leadership has it in them to come up w anything. 

Edited by fwoosheyman

9 hours ago, AugieWargo said:

Marvel Minimates Series 79 was canceled?? Was this wave just canceled? if so, damn.

https://www.previewsworld.com/support/previews_docs/orderforms/JAN20_Cancel.txt

I don't get what I'm missing in this list. Is the entire list canceled items? Because I see wave 79 on it but I don't see any "canceled" or anything like that around it 

3 hours ago, youbastards said:

Unfortunately given the state of the line, all Minimates enthusiasts need to treat every release as vital to the continuation of the line and pre-order at your retailer of choice at the time of solicitation.

The days of picking and choosing are over.  Preorder or expect it to not get produced at all.

Looking at that list of canceled DST solicitations, it's clear that DST needs to clean house as the current leadership is no longer effective.

Minimates enthusiasts do not need to treat every release as vital to the continuation of the line. That is 100% DST's job.

My whole point is that their product is just meh and has been for awhile.

Endgame was a HUGE letdown, the other movie lines are littered with "guy in suit minimates" or minimates that are near identical to one another (Endgame, Captain Marvel), wave 76 was almost entirely rereleases, wave 77 had four rereleases and that WTF-no one wants this Miles Morales figure, wave 78 had terrible packing decisions (which personally turned me off), 79 was a weird line-up that would just add holes to completionist collections, I haven't ever seen several of the animated packs I want, and they still haven't released a line-up for series 80 to look forward to.

1 hour ago, Swarm198 said:

wave 78 had terrible packing decisions (which personally turned me off).

Funny enough I thought that was their first smart decision. Either way I think it’s safe to say this cancellation announcement has really put a lot of fans on alert. I’ve been disappointed with a lot of the decisions. Hopefully it is going to be resolicited but even then the wave isn’t strong. DST need to take a look in the mirror and see if they really know what’s going on with their business and see if they are going to be able to survive 2020.

The thing that drives me mental about all of this is knowing that they could have gotten ahead of this and let their loyal supporters know what is going on but instead it’s buried. This is an unnecessary self inflicted wound that is the norm for them. 

Edited by thereasonsy

Not to shine any hope on everyone's doom and gloom, but are we sure it's cancelled forever?

Like, that list, if I'm reading it right, seems to have a lot from dst on it.  Maybe there was some weird other crisis that made them cancel all the existing preorders, or something.  I don't know, it just seems weird that SO much DST product is getting cancelled.  Unless the company is going under (which, in this economy is always a possibility), I wonder if there's something deeper going on.

Regardless, fingers crossed that things work out and I can get that dang Darkhawk.

It is the cancellation list from Previews site. Everything listed is supposedly cancelled. It list Marvel Minimates Series 79 asst.  the number 4 that follows indicates it was cancelled by the publisher.  They have numbers assigned to indicate reason for cancellation.

but with DSTZach saying there are things on the list that aren't cancelled fingers crossed it is a mistake.

Edited by AugieWargo

If it's true that this wave is cancelled and won't be resolicited, then that's it. This has basically become a Marvel exclusive line for the past few years, and if even Marvel Minimates can't draw enough interest, then they are well and truly done. I sincerely hope that DST tries to rethink and relaunch them; they are, after all, owned by DST so it behooves them to try to reestablish the figure in some way.

This would be a grand time for another toy company to make DST an offer for Minimates.

I'd be much more concerned about cancellation if this assortment had been bristling with A-list characters in iconic costumes. Even comic shop owners who know the names might not be familiar with these looks, especially in such a stylized format.

1 minute ago, MisterPL said:

I'd be much more concerned about cancellation if this assortment had been bristling with A-list characters in iconic costumes.

That's a very valid point. This wave was a pretty big miss for me. Only reason why I would've gotten all three sets was the promise of another 70s Avenger.

28 minutes ago, luke314pi said:

I just got word from my Diamond rep - Series 79 is NOT cancelled. They had to change item codes due to an internal code error, so the old code shows up on the cancellation list. But it has a new code and is on track for production!

God bless you, Luke. You’re doing the lord’s work. Now Darkhawk can come home to my collection, where he belongs.!

1 hour ago, luke314pi said:

I just got word from my Diamond rep - Series 79 is NOT cancelled. They had to change item codes due to an internal code error, so the old code shows up on the cancellation list. But it has a new code and is on track for production!

Thank goodness and thanks for the update, Luke.