UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 79

Dave

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, hellpop said:

-The Moondragon cape looks like a reuse of the old Red Tornado one, which is an odd choice since DST has made other, better collared capes since then.

It's not. That cape is more straight up and down on the collar. This one has a bit of a wrap around the head and comes to a clean point by the face. 

I gotta figure out how to make a classic Moondragon with this head and cape. The closest torso would be Polaris but not quite. Damn... this is one of those “so close but so far” figures for me. 

Darkhawk is 100% choice but it’s a classic Moondragon and lightning bolt chest Adam Warlock I’d have picked. *sigh* Being a classic comic collector can really be sad sometimes. 

Edited by Mystery Man

1 hour ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I'm also trying to make a classic Moondragon from this figure. The head, cape, and Polaris' torso seem pretty obviously the closest we're going to get, but I'm not as sure about the arms and legs, specifically the gloves and boots.

I was thinking animated Enchantress has a good boots and gloves for an allllmost there look (once you add in different hands) But haven’t checked the greens yet. 

42 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4b38d2d4f975953151976cdbfb591a91.jpeg

This is the version of Moondragon I'm trying to make, so those boots and sleeves would be a bit longer than I'd like.

It doesn't seem like there are a lot of options, though. I wish we could have just gotten the classic version in the first place.

Yeah without painting I don’t know of a triangle pointed green boot or gloves that aren’t Enchantress 

11 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

The thing that I’ve gotta figure out most is how to cover up the skull on the Polaris torso. I wish the cape came down a little in the front to block it but so far as I can recall, there’s not one like that in green. 

I actually like the skull as it reminds me of Thanos and why she received the infinity gem. But I thankfully got a Luke version. Couldn’t you use a paint remover to gently remove the skull?

Couple thoughts:

-These are almost definitely prototypes/paint masters, as that's usually what we see in the solicitation photos.

Hellpop gets it. 

-I can't tell if Ghost Rider is a tampo on a dome headcap, or if it's a skull head under a translucent cap. I think the latter is what the final figure is supposed to be, right? 

I believe it is the latter. Translucent skull under translucent dome. Take off the dome and you can put on a flaming hairpiece. Is the plan, anyway. 

• 1 month later...

An assortment with no heavy hitters. Go figure.

I'm only a casual Marvel fan and, honestly, I'm only familiar with two of these characters. Even a couple of the ones I should know are unrecognizable to me. I'm seeing some pretty obscure variants here.

That and there are only three 2-packs. For shops like mine that struggle to unload all three full sets of four 2-packs in a case, increasing it to four sets of three 2-packs means they'd only be able to sell half the case instead of a third. (Did I math that right?)

This is where the BAF concept works against retailers. Sure, it encourages completists to "collect them all" to get that BAF but completists are buying them all anyway. The trick is to make that BAF such a must-have that every collector orders a set.

Back to the drawing board.

I'm more sad to find that I don't really care much that it's canceled. That's not about the lineup, even though the two I really wanted looked kind of mediocre, I've just given up on minimates as a whole and started thinking of them as something I used to collect.

So does that make Ghost Rider some  sort of jinx for Marvel waves as I can only think of the movie GR set being the other Marvel wave cancelled.

Sucks either way as it may not have been star heavy I was up for the wave even though Darkhawk and CGR where the only ones that stood out for me.