UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

When are we getting a Stan Lee minimate?

Swarm198

I actually was just thinking about this. I'm surprised we haven't gotten them yet. Put him with a few other influential Marvel creators. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and... Brian Michael Bendis comes to mind. He's someone that has had a huge influence on current day Marvel's direction

4 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

I want one.  Who would you put in a Stan Lee box set?

I'm all for this happenin! I'd go with the Astronaut Stan Lee, 1970's Stan Lee. Maybe the 1990's Mr. Marvel Stan Lee from the 90's card set. And Hulk hands Stan Lee with alternate Spiderman mask and thwip hands.

An MCU through the Ages, natch:  General Lee (From Winter Soldier), Watcher Fan (From GotG2), "Hugh" Lee (From Iron Man), and Cranky Old Neighbor Lee (Spider-Man: Homecoming).  There are some fun, toyetic costumes AND they'd fit in with the MCU stuff people already have.  It's Win-Win!

However, we all know that would never happen.  Instead, what about a Marvel Through the Ages: Top-Hat-ed Flashback Stan (from the Flashback issues), Wedding Guest Stan (From Reed and Sue's Wedding), A young Editor-in-cheif (you know as the head of 616 marvel comics), and I dunno, Spidey's bestie (from that issue where Stan and Spidey meet, but when he was older).  Tied with continuity for fans, without the licensing headaches involved in the MCU, AND they'd fit in with any era of marvel stuff.  It's also a Win-Win!

Double however, it would never sell.  Who wants a four pack of an old man in a top hat with some comics?

In the end, it should just be a single pack, sold as a con exclusive.  I'd totally buy one.

It was my understanding that likenesses aren’t legally an issue since the portraits are noseless caricatures protected by parody law. Technically, DST could offer a box of “comic book creators” that just happen to look like Stan and Jack and Joe and Jerry. They simply wouldn’t be able to use their names. 

That said, any attempt to circumvent a proper license to produce anything based on Stan “The Man” Lee (or any other beloved comic book creator) would likely be met with litigation from more than one corner. It simply wouldn’t be worth the effort. 

Get the license. Tie it to a charity. DST can write it off and those of us who want one can get an official Stan Lee Minimate. 

3 hours ago, MisterPL said:

It was my understanding that likenesses aren’t legally an issue since the portraits are noseless caricatures protected by parody law. Technically, DST could offer a box of “comic book creators” that just happen to look like Stan and Jack and Joe and Jerry. They simply wouldn’t be able to use their names. 

That said, any attempt to circumvent a proper license to produce anything based on Stan “The Man” Lee (or any other beloved comic book creator) would likely be met with litigation from more than one corner. It simply wouldn’t be worth the effort. 

Get the license. Tie it to a charity. DST can write it off and those of us who want one can get an official Stan Lee Minimate. 

Even if legally allowed and litigation avoided, I'm sure Marvel would be pissed off enough to pull all contracts. Legality is not always the litmus test of good business relations. One should also consider the politics of the relationship.

That being said, IMHO, as much as I appreciate Stan Lee, I am not exactly clamoring for a minimate.

So what i'm hearing from you is that they do this when they know the line is gonna end anyway. Like the final wave would be:

Stan Lee and Spider -Man

Jack Kirby and Doctor Doom (Picked him because I didn't want to do just one of the FF and I felt for Kirby at Marvel it had to be an FF creation and frankly Doom can hold his own)

Steve Ditko and Doctor Strange

Joe Simon and Captain America

Yes, all Marvel product has to be approved by Marvel Licensing. But Marvel doesn’t have the rights to Stan Lee. His estate does.

Ironically, a Minimate offering wouldn’t have anything to do with Marvel. No Marvel logos, characters, or trade dress. It’d just be a Stan Lee Minimate.

13 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

You guys must be great at parties.

Almost as much fun as posting wish lists in the wish list thread.

14 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Yes, all Marvel product has to be approved by Marvel Licensing. But Marvel doesn’t have the rights to Stan Lee. His estate does.

Ironically, a Minimate offering wouldn’t have anything to do with Marvel. No Marvel logos, characters, or trade dress. It’d just be a Stan Lee Minimate.

I think most people have something like the ML Stan Lee in mind, or the recently canceled BAF, or of course the MCU appearances. But obviously there's been lots of Stan Lee product that wasn't related to Marvel, like Standor or all of those Pops.

If DST was interested in this (and I doubt they are) it unfortunately seems a little late now that Stan is gone. A few years ago was the perfect time, now it might come across like trying to cash in.

23 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

So what i'm hearing from you is that they do this when they know the line is gonna end anyway. Like the final wave would be:

Stan Lee and Spider -Man

Jack Kirby and Doctor Doom (Picked him because I didn't want to do just one of the FF and I felt for Kirby at Marvel it had to be an FF creation and frankly Doom can hold his own)

Steve Ditko and Doctor Strange

Joe Simon and Captain America

I'd buy em all.