UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Diamond Select Toys purchases Gentle Giant

youbastards

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/12/steve-geppi-gentle-giant-diamond-select-toys/

Diamond Select Toys, part of Steve Geppi‘s great Diamond comics, collectables and games producing and distributing empire, has bought one of the major producers of collectable statues, Gentle Giant.

Specifically, Diamond Select Toys is purchasing what they describe as ‘select assets of Gentle Giant, taking over manufacturing and distribution of many of the company’s key lines.’

There has always been some inherent conflict of interest, as Diamond distributes Diamond Select Toys items alongside items from other producers, this move is likely to exacerbate that.

At the beginning of the month, Diamond Select Toys and Collectibles assumed operations for all of Gentle Giant’s existing licenses, and previously developed and newly created busts, statues and scaled-up vintage action figures. And stating that ‘any in-progress and future products will be offered to retailers through the Previews catalog, published by DST’s sister company Diamond Comic Distributors.’

However Gentle Giant Studios is not part of the acquisition, and they will continue creating products and designs. That won’t be confusing at all, will it?

Diamond states that Gentle Giant’s collector club, the Premier Guild, ‘will continue to operate, with exclusive items for members and reserved access to certain products. DST has pledged to fulfill any outstanding exclusives and rewards to current members, and to expand on the club’s scope going forward.’

• Will DST take over Gentle Giant’s licenses? Including Star Wars?
Yes, DST will take over the majority of the Gentle Giant Ltd licenses and will continue the existing lines that Gentle Giant has started, releasing already-developed items and developing new items. Each license will be reviewed and discussed, and we will update you as soon as possible on their status.

Edited by youbastards

Gentle Giant was doomed once they took on the "rock star" persona.  The fanbase was not there for the staff, it was there for the product. Some of it was great, some of it not so much.  I have quite a bit of GG stuff and absolutely love most of what I have.  I hope this creates new avenues for everyone involved.

5 hours ago, Onyx_6 said:

So, there’s a difference between GG and Gentle Giant Studios?

Yes, Gentle Giant Ltd. makes and sells statues and toys. Gentle Giant Studios does sculpting and scanning work for other companies (including DST). THEY are still owned by 3D Systems. 

Edited by DSTZach

Obviously the big question around these parts will be if this could lead to Star Wars Minimates. I tend to think that it won’t, as we know the Star Wars people have always rebuffed the idea because Minimates (in their mind) are too close to Lego. But I guess we’ll see. Surely Minimates needs a shot in the arm, which a license like Star Wars would provide. 

So, in theory, DST could release very large, retro-styled GI Joes now?

I'm sure that's the furthest thing from anyone's priority over there, but it kills me that we never got any of the classic '84 or '85 figures done in that line, like Storm Shadow, Firefly, Zartan, Flint, and '85 Snake Eyes.