UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

OvenproofBug6

Movie stuff is the bane of my existence. I’m glad others like it... and I like the movies themselves... but all I ever see is Minimate movie stuff hanging around. And that’s not just Walgreens. Same with all the TRU’s and Hastings I used to frequent. 

Edited by Mystery Man

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

How long have Black Panther and Infinity War assortments lingered on their shelves? And movie waves are supposed to generate the most sell-through.

Although I'd be more concerned about the Animated line. However, I think I recall Zach saying there was another series of that on the way. 

Series 10 doesn't even have a release date yet 

2 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

Movie stuff is the bane of my existence. I’m glad others like it... and I like the movies themselves... but all I ever see is Minimate movie stuff hanging around. And that’s not just Walgreens. Same with all the TRU’s and Hastings I used to frequent. 

Same on all counts.  Hell, my comic store still has minimates for Civil War hanging on the shelf.

In my experience, it's the big colorful waves that sell through the fastest (barring a few outliers like the Old Man Logan/Maestro set at TRU or Ms Marvel/Kang at Walgreens) and the movie waves that just linger FOREVER.  

3 hours ago, fwoosheyman said:

This comes off more as minimates are done at Walgreens and being dropped during a reset later this yr.

It does feel that way. It can't be good news if Walgreens isn't interested in minimates from the most anticipated Marvel movie ever.

Given how old some of the animated minimates at my local Walgreens are they linger MUCH worse than movie stuff. Whatever the regional differences are the movie waves certainly aren't awful on that score overall, a quick look online suggests it's not exactly easy to complete your movie minimate collection if you didn't buy them when they came out. I'd also be curious what the difference in production numbers is too.

I’ve lived between San Antonio and Austin for 5 years now.  Since then I’ve had 5 TRU’s, 4 Hastings and at least 6 Walgreens (and that’s only within 20 miles of my home). Much more access than I used to for Minimates.

Regarding comic shops, they seem to be carried by stores that are either 1) larger and can take the risk of peg-warming or 2) as a special order item that “die hard fans“ who have collected for awhile. Since moving to Texas I’ve seen 1 store in Austin carry them and that’s it. Places know what I’m talking about when I go in but don’t carry them because their store “is too small”. It’s because of this that I use Luke. My old shop in Arkansas became a hassle for many reasons, so so I went to DCBS online and have never looked back. 

Regarding Walgreens movie stuff... it’s interesting to me is that movie stuff hangs around awhile, even when it’s a big Avengers flick. That is IF it gets distributed. The second Walgreens “Infinity” set took awhile to trickle in. Otherwise, it stays and stays. The movie stuff at TRU/Hastings was just about the same way, minus variants. Comic stuff seemed to be that Secret Wars tie-in wave minus Dazzler/Howard the Duck staying around forever. 

As for Walgreens animated stuff, it’s just about the same. The stuff that doesn’t linger is the stuff with characters that haven’t been made before. Man-Thing, Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel, the Squadron Supreme.

I hate to be the old “told you so” person, but I swear to gosh it truly seems like the new character stuff and updates on older figures gets eaten up and the rest just lingers. 

2 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

I’ve lived between San Antonio and Austin for 5 years now.  Since then I’ve had 5 TRU’s, 4 Hastings and at least 6 Walgreens (and that’s only within 20 miles of my home). Much more access than I used to for Minimates.

Regarding comic shops, they seem to be carried by stores that are either 1) larger and can take the risk of peg-warming or 2) as a special order item that “die hard fans“ who have collected for awhile. Since moving to Texas I’ve seen 1 store in Austin carry them and that’s it. Places know what I’m talking about when I go in but don’t carry them because their store “is too small”. It’s because of this that I use Luke. My old shop in Arkansas became a hassle for many reasons, so so I went to DCBS online and have never looked back. 

Regarding Walgreens movie stuff... it’s interesting to me is that movie stuff hangs around awhile, even when it’s a big Avengers flick. That is IF it gets distributed. The second Walgreens “Infinity” set took awhile to trickle in. Otherwise, it stays and stays. The movie stuff at TRU/Hastings was just about the same way, minus variants. Comic stuff seemed to be that Secret Wars tie-in wave minus Dazzler/Howard the Duck staying around forever. 

As for Walgreens animated stuff, it’s just about the same. The stuff that doesn’t linger is the stuff with characters that haven’t been made before. Man-Thing, Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel, the Squadron Supreme.

I hate to be the old “told you so” person, but I swear to gosh it truly seems like the new character stuff and updates on older figures gets eaten up and the rest just lingers. 

I would have to say it's a distribution thing. In Manhattan i have access to over 30 different Walgreens stores. The store s that still have mates are wave 8 (wasp) related. I have only seen one set of Captain Marvel figures. Just saw a second wave of Infinity War and I feel like they were held back for End Game. 

I am not a professional analyst but I won't be far out ( in any sense) in my observations ....if you feel that I am, let's engage .

There have been 19 Walgreen Minimate waves in 3 & 1/2 years .

On any given day there are on average 12-13,000 'minimate' listings on US ebay.

There are currently less than 700 Walgreen minimate related listings on US ebay. The majority of those WG listings are from 'usualsuspects' minimate resellers who feel that $14+  is the 'right' price for a BIN.

There has only ever been 3 (Walgreen aka TRU 26)  Minimate 2-packs available for sale online , they are available right now @ $5.99 & if you were to buy 2 sets of each you would get all of them shipped for an inclusive price of $36.   There is no listing on ebay whereby you can buy a 2 pack for less than $6.

Certain WG Minimates are rarely seen on ebay.com at all ...but are they actually rare 'in the wild' ?  

My point ?  I'm not sure:unsure:

Edited by buttheadsmate
sp.

Walgreens needs to discount older product, but since they reuse the same SKU, the most we can hope for is a buy-one-get-one sale.  Some of these older packs lingering should be $2 - $3 by now

This is how most retailers make room for new product, not sure why Walgreens is so hesitant to do this. 

Here in Denver I've seen Minimates from all over the time spectrum.  I was able to belated find all of the Squadron Supreme with a little searching last year.  One store had the Kraven/Hobgoblin animated - never saw them anywhere else.  I've yet to see Captain Marvel movie mates, but Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok Mates remain mixed in the Infinity War ones.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

@DSTZach do we have any idea yet as to whom is packed with whom? I’m trying to do my math for how many packs I need to order from Luke. 

Cyclops and Havok

Jean Grey and Polaris

Beast and Wolfsbane

Archangel and Multiple Man

Also other comic wave with

Deathlok, Speedball, Night Thrasher.. soon. hopefully

Edited by Minimate

3 hours ago, Minimate said:

Cyclops and Havok

Jean Grey and Polaris

Beast and Wolfsbane

Archangel and Multiple Man

Also other comic wave with

Deathlok, Speedball, Night Thrasher.. soon. hopefully

Is this your guess or is this confirmed?

@Mystery Man I was in Austin last summer and made a trip to Austin Books and Comics, and that is without a doubt the best comic book store I've ever visited. If you're ever down in Texas look it up.

It's very easy for us all to make assumptions based on our observations, but we must remember that it's all anecdotal. I mean, I've long believed that basing toy lines around movies is a bit of a fool's game, because you never know what the interest in a film will be and they almost always have a relatively short shelf life, but I don't work in the toy industry so what do I know? Presumably these things must be profitable or they wouldn't be doing them year after year.

As far as movie Minimates specifically go, I agree that the biggest problem they have is sell-though. Sets do tend to linger, particularly ones that pack a minor villain with a secondary hero or something like that. But, again, all anecdotal. And DST is certainly concerned with appealing to industry buyers as much as they are to the end customer, as they should be, and those people are more likely to order toys based on an upcoming movie. We probably shouldn't underestimate just how important being a part of the new products launch to each Marvel movie is to DST's overall strategy and relationship with Marvel/Disney.

One thing that surprises me is that DST hasn't made more figures for all of the new characters Marvel has introduced or boosted in the last few years. Marvel's made a concerted effort to promote these characters, and it would make sense to me to get a Minimate wave out there with characters like Amadeus Cho, America Chavez, Kate Bishop, ect. We've gotten more new characters in the animated line than we have in the comics line, which just seems strange to me. Instead we're getting a wave of a minor X-team full of second stringers from two decades ago. Which I know everyone HERE is excited for, but hardly seems like an exciting choice for casual fans and buyers.

52 minutes ago, hellpop said:

@Mystery Man I was in Austin last summer and made a trip to Austin Books and Comics, and that is without a doubt the best comic book store I've ever visited. If you're ever down in Texas look it up.

Austin Books and Comics IS nice! I go by almost every time I’m in town. I used to live half an hour from Austin and now live about an hour or so away. 

Edited by Mystery Man

That’s how I feel about Acme Comics and cards. If you are in the central Florida area ever it is worth a trip. If you collect a toyline, they have it.  http://www.acme-superstore.com/.

21 hours ago, hellpop said:

@Mystery Man One thing that surprises me is that DST hasn't made more figures for all of the new characters Marvel has introduced or boosted in the last few years. Marvel's made a concerted effort to promote these characters, and it would make sense to me to get a Minimate wave out there with characters like Amadeus Cho, America Chavez, Kate Bishop, ect. We've gotten more new characters in the animated line than we have in the comics line, which just seems strange to me. Instead we're getting a wave of a minor X-team full of second stringers from two decades ago. Which I know everyone HERE is excited for, but hardly seems like an exciting choice for casual fans and buyers.

I can see what you mean but for the most part I think it’s because comics themselves aren’t selling at huge numbers.  They have done a better job at a story lines though but I doubt they get that much of a heads up. I’m shocked that we don’t have a Ms Marvel but then again we have 3 Spider-Gwens and a Gwenpool. I am more surprised that Amadeus as Hulk hasn’t been made as the other replacements have: Riri, Jane Thor, Sam Cap, and Laura as Wolverine. 

1 hour ago, thereasonsy said:

That’s how I feel about Acme Comics and cards. If you are in the central Florida area ever it is worth a trip. If you collect a toyline, they have it.  http://www.acme-superstore.com/.

I can see what you mean but for the most part I think it’s because comics themselves aren’t selling at huge numbers.  They have done a better job at a story lines though but I doubt they get that much of a heads up. I’m shocked that we don’t have a Ms Marvel but then again we have 3 Spider-Gwens and a Gwenpool. I am more surprised that Amadeus as Hulk hasn’t been made as the other replacements have: Riri, Jane Thor, Sam Cap, and Laura as Wolverine. 

Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl in particular are glaring; it's nuts that it took the animated line to get them made. I tend to doubt that sales of individual titles play much into their decisions, but I do think that DST is more comfortable going the nostalgia route than they are keeping up with current comics. And hey, if that works for them it's probably what they should do. I dunno, it's hard to say how much of an impact all the new characters Marvel is pushing are having. I personally like some of them (Kate), don't like others (Cho), and think they tend to go to the "precocious genius" well far too often. They've diversified their backgrounds (which is good!) but not so much their personalities (which is not so good!).

3 hours ago, hellpop said:

I personally like some of them (Kate), don't like others (Cho), and think they tend to go to the "precocious genius" well far too often. They've diversified their backgrounds (which is good!) but not so much their personalities (which is not so good!).

I don’t have enough exposure to Cho except for Champions so ??‍♂️. I do agree though there are too many geniuses in the MCU. Either way it would have been nice to get say a Champion set or even Young Avengers which I also can’t believe hasn’t happened.