UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So, I don't know how many others there are like me but I love pro wrestling! And I love Minimates! I was trying to find out how many pro wrestlers have Minimates and there's only two I know of. Stone Cold and Jesse Ventura. (Hulk Hogan almost had one but it got cancelled.) Looking into that got me thinking about how much I'd enjoy some wrestling Minimates. There's so many options out there too. If they did WWE, you could do current stuff and classics, rivals or tag team partners, famous matches, etc. There's many options just for the WWE. And I know WWE had a partnership with C3, who are the people that did the DC Minimates, but those things are ugly. There's also All Elite Wrestling with Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks, who have their own POP Funko deal, merch with Hot Topic, and are apparently getting LJNs. Considering that the Nightmare Before Christmas mates were released at Hot Topic, that seems like it could work out. Do the blind bags again? Not to mention New Japan, Ring of Honor, and AAA or CMLL. I feel like wrestling would be a good fit for Minimates and I'm surprised nothing has been done about it yet!

Edited by PrinceCuseCuse

I would love for minimates to take on a wrestling license. Luke's custom WWF figures have all been great, and make me want them even more. I'm not sure WWE would be willing to try another block style figure sheet C3, I'm also not sure how well they sold either. It would offer up a lot of options for figures, but it could be a frustrating line, trying to understand why one wrestler got mad and not anther and the ever present multiples of top talents. 

With New Japan trying to make a bigger splash in America, you'd think they'd be open and welcoming to a toy company trying to work with them. That could even allow for Ring of Honor with their willingness to work together. 

All Elite is another great idea. With a smaller roster starting out, it would be almost all to easy to get everyone and not have complaints of why one wrestler was chosen over the other.

Edited by Tribble_WC

I did get Luke's Bret Hart and while it's great, I'm not much of a classic wrestler guy. There's some guys that stand the test of time Hart is one, I wish I would've gotten his Macho Man, and if he does Rick Rude, I'd probably pick that up, but I have no interest in most of those guys. Give me Johnny Gargano, AJ Styles, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Velveteen Dream, I think there's a lot they could do. But I agree, All Elite seems to make the most sense.

Oh there's no end to what they could do if they got a license. They could easily do multiples of wrestlers due to ever changing attires. Use the boring business suit figures for announcers and authority figures. And while I know it would never happen, a ring with guard rails and an entrance ramp would be amazing to have in minimate form. 

I understand not being a fan of all the "classic" wrestlers, and to each they're own. I'm a big fan of the current group of preformers in the wrestling world. The classic wrestlers, like Luke is making, just hold a special place for me. As a kid it's what I watched with my dad and have a lot of very fond memories of.

That being said, whether it's classic, current or a mixture, I would be all over a wrestling minimates line. 

I think New Japan would be more likely to go with Kubricks, or even a MUSCLE-type gashapon line.  But something like All Elite could get some real traction out of Minimates.  I don't think WWE would go that route.  Profit potential isn't great frankly, and they've carved out a nice niche for themselves with the 6 inch toys.  But just for getting the word out, and providing something to fans, a burgeoning independent outfit would make a lot of sense.

I'm getting all the figures from Luke's subscription.  I've been fantasizing about custom wrestling Minimates for years, and even asked Luke to do a custom Hart for me prior to his taking on his current project.  It's frankly the only Minimate line I'm interested in at the moment, and if we got something official, I would probably be interested, though I'm more into the classic characters than newer ones.