UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-Man: Far From Home

bofox

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to what people think of this flick. Personally, I'm frustrated I had to sit there and watch Peter Parker go through the same character arc again. I thought it was neat to see Mysterio. He really warrants himself well to motion pictures, seeing that he's a special effects wizard. 

4 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

I'm curious as to what people think of this flick. Personally, I'm frustrated I had to sit there and watch Peter Parker go through the same character arc again. I thought it was neat to see Mysterio. He really warrants himself well to motion pictures, seeing that he's a special effects wizard. 

Mysterio was so damn cool he made up for some of the lacking other stuff and weird pacing. 

11 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

The more I sit on it, the more I disliked the movie.

I don't like Peter being forced in the the Iron Man Jr roll and I don't like the global scale.  It felt like they wrote a movie about Spider-Man in Europe and then were told they needed to service all this 'blip' nonsense, which made for an unsatisfying combination.  You know what would have been nice?  Seeing a street level view on how people were reacting to 'The Blip'.  That first movie was all about Peter finding his place in the world, so why not see how the world has changed since the blip?  Maybe focus on him being an inspiration to the community while the community is all focused on this new mysterio person.  I dunno.  It seems like a real wasted opportunity to not delve into the real personal effects of 'the blip' and instead make it a big handwave-y joke.

That said, I really really loved Mysterio.  Loved the reveal, loved the take, loved the actor.  He really elevated the movie and I wish there was more of him in it.

Also, I really liked Zendaya whom I'm still bummed is called MJ.  Not because MJ can't be black or anything, but because she's nothing like that character.  She's creating a wonderful, well-defined character of her own that I wish was just Michelle or Meesh or Shelly or whatever.  Like the MCU Spider-Man, she's operating in a shadow she shouldn't be; let her break free!

Lastly, I think that last credit stinger is setting up

Spoiler

the Kree Skrull War for phase four

and I'm all about it.

After watching the movie I’m actually hard pressed to see 9 figures that I would want/buy from this movie. This could have been a two pack or maybe a four if I stretch. I mean besides the new suit, the black suit, and Mysterio I don’t have a “need” for any of the other characters.

18 hours ago, Trekker 42 said:

Mysterio was so damn cool he made up for some of the lacking other stuff and weird pacing. 

I agree that he was super cool, but I don't think he made up for the rest of the film's issues. I, personally, walked into the theater expecting him to be as cool as he was. I mean, the dude's whole gimmick is that he makes visual effects for movies. I would've been concerned if he wasn't cool. 

6 hours ago, bilbofett said:

A 4-pack would've been perfect. 2 Spideys, Mysterio, and MJ(or Peter Billingsley's character)

Add Ned to that 4-pack and it would make it better. Hell, if Age of Ultron could get a 5-pack, why can’t FFH?

Edited by ABC123

2 hours ago, ABC123 said:

Add Ned to that 4-pack and it would make it better. Hell, if Age of Ultron could get a 5-pack, why can’t FFH?

Because FFH is a separate license and therefore costs more? Am I just missing something and people are actually craving more civilians? After seeing the movie I’m actually impressed that DST skipped this and saved their pennies. 

I could go for more civilians, I think the idea that they should be skipped in the MCU is kind of dumb.

There would have been plenty of possibilities for a full wave, however many figures that is now: Iron Spider redo (add gauntlets), Night Monkey, upgraded Spider-Man, Peter Parker, Mysterio, alt look Mysterio, Ned, MJ, Happy (preferably with a giant check), Stark drones, Aunt May. It wouldn't have been hard to find an assortment in there that would be palatable to most fans.

1 hour ago, stack32 said:

I could go for more civilians, I think the idea that they should be skipped in the MCU is kind of dumb.

There would have been plenty of possibilities for a full wave, however many figures that is now: Iron Spider redo (add gauntlets), Night Monkey, upgraded Spider-Man, Peter Parker, Mysterio, alt look Mysterio, Ned, MJ, Happy (preferably with a giant check), Stark drones, Aunt May. It wouldn't have been hard to find an assortment in there that would be palatable to most fans.

I'd switch a couple of those out for Elementals maybe, but throw in some great accessories with civilian 'mates and that's a done deal. My best case scenario would be a retconned boxset with Mysterio, stealth suit, upgraded suit, and MJ. Ned isn't a necessity for me, though I certainly wouldn't mind him!

2 hours ago, stack32 said:

Well, I guess I’m not most fans since Mysterio and Upgraded Spider-man are the only two I would want to purchase and I pretty much buy them all. 

2 hours ago, stack32 said:

Agreed.  This movie could have easily filled a wave.  Spidey had four different costumed looks.  Mysterio obviously.  Final battle Mysterio and Stark drones would have been a super cool set.  Happy and May.  Peter, MJ, Ned.  Fury and Maria Hill with alternate heads would be cool too.  Oh, Molten Man, Hydro Man, Sandman, and Cyclone too.  The idea that an MCU movie just introduced versions of 5 comic villains and we got zero of them is disappointing.  I didn't buy any Endgame Minimates and don't feel like I missed out, but leaving this movie and not able to get anything?  Bummer.  

• 2 weeks later...

9VxoncC.jpgAlright, far from perfect but here's my start on a custom MCU Mysterio. Biggest part is going to be trimming up the cape aaaaaand learning Illustrator to make a decent decal for the chest piece. Thinking I'll switch out arms and legs for the TRU version once I can afford it. Need green hands too!

2 hours ago, Dave said:

The reason we probably didn't get a line for this movie, is it was put out by Sony, and Marvel probably limited what they could sell because of it.

That could be. But Marvel and Disney make the money from the merch. Not Sony.

15 hours ago, Dave said:

The reason we probably didn't get a line for this movie, is it was put out by Sony, and Marvel probably limited what they could sell because of it.

Marvel has merchandising rights to Spider-Man movies, not Sony.

Every Marvel movie requires a separate license which costs more money. Licensees have to wager if the property will get a return on the investment. (Licensors don’t just get a cut of the profits, they get an annual guarantee for a certain amount of money.)

In this case, DST is already having trouble placing Marvel Minimates due to TRU’s absence. Walgreens is set. DST already has a guarantee to meet with the Marvel Comics agreement so it made sense to do a comic-based assortment that ties into the last two Spidey flicks instead of adding two different Spider-Man licenses in such a short period of time.

Also, putting out two Spider-Man flicks so close together, especially when the character also appears in other Marvel movies, tends to saturate the market and contribute to franchise fatigue.

All things considered, as much as I wanted Minimates from this movie (and “Into the Spider-verse”), I’m not sure it’s a risk I’d have taken.

We went to see this today and I've gotta agree, I wasn't impressed. It felt even more like "Iron Man presents Spider-Man" than the last one did; even Mysterio was basically a Tony Stark villain who just happened to be up against Spider-Man because of circumstances. He was the best part though. The teen romance stuff really dragged after awhile too. It just hit too many of the beats of the last one without bringing enough new to the table. And I agree that MJ should have a different name. I like the character, and the actress, a lot; why saddle her with that name? Frankly, same goes for Ned and Flash. Just make them original characters.

• 3 months later...