UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-Man: Far From Home

bofox

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm no licensing expert but what i understood from what he said its that they buy a license for a movie to make products and it includes the characters in that movie. the problem is they don't see themselves making enough products out of spider-man.  infinity war 2 (or endgame i guess) will allow them to make products from all of those characters (including spider-man).  therefore endgame is just better value.  Endgame isn't out yet but we can assume everyone who didn't get a minimate in infinity war will get one now plus any new character costumes (thanos in armor), new characters in general and and surprises -- and not just minimates, but action figures and cookie jars and piggy banks and all the other cool stuff dst makes (no sarcasm intended, i love their stuff).  sucks for us OCD minimate collectors............i think its time for luke to step up and figure out a custom sticker to make mysterio seem more movie-like.

that said i do plan on flooding their inbox with whiny complaints.  i buy all the marvel comic stuff but i LOVE all the marvel movie stuff.  it has become my favorite collection to collect (and i collect a lot of stuff).

Edited by nandoninny

5 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Secondly, I agree it's disappointing but it is a reality of the situation due to distribution. They aren't in Target/Walmart/Big Box and there is only so much product LCS/Luke and Walgreens can hold. A Classic Comic wave in the Spirit of Far from Home does have the best mass potential as it taps in to multiple animated series, Into the Spider-Verse, the comics, nostalgia fans, and movie audiences.

Did you just argue that a wave with Prowler, Hydro-Man, and Molten Man has the best mass market potential? ?

Also, I think people are making assumptions here that may not be correct. Zach's comments in the 'Best Of' thread make it sound like DST didn't even bother to license the movie period. That means no Select figures or Gallery Statues either. Unless I'm mistaken, they couldn't even have been turned down by retailers because they never shopped them product to begin with. I still don't think that was the issue, especially when they can find a was to justify doing a boxset for something like Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Just now, stack32 said:

Did you just argue that a wave with Prowler, Hydro-Man, and Molten Man has the best mass market potential? ?

Also, I think people are making assumptions here that may not be correct. Zach's comments in the 'Best Of' thread make it sound like DST didn't even bother to license the movie period. That means no Select figures or Gallery Statues either. Unless I'm mistaken, they couldn't even have been turned down by retailers because they never shopped them product to begin with. I still don't think that was the issue, especially when they can find a was to justify doing a boxset for something like Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Yes, I did. Excluding Molten Man who had some appeal to be the ToyFare kick off exclusive both characters have been featured in animated series (with Hydro-Man even being a part of the Universal Studios Ride) and have been seen in toy form before. 

Prowler:

theprowler.jpg

Hydro man:

fdfb15c6-fd46-4a8d-8096-115bbc47ff39.jpg

Well if we wanted to make a quick custom of movie mysterio, from a quick look at the database, either the gold ultron or red king would have the most accurate torso, only problem being that the older tru mysterio has a much more accurate color scheme, but the 77 one has better boot detailing, also the 77 ones dome/cape sculp is more accurate, and it would cover up the red bits on the torso better, but the tru one again has a closer color scheme, can anyone here throw together the tru one with the red king torso to see how it works?

13 minutes ago, thereasonsy said:

Yes, I did. Excluding Molten Man who had some appeal to be the ToyFare kick off exclusive both characters have been featured in animated series (with Hydro-Man even being a part of the Universal Studios Ride) and have been seen in toy form before.

Only a toy collector could argue that appearances in a cartoon and toy line 30 years ago equals more exposure than a current movie that will be seen by millions, including practically everyone who collects minimates.

59 minutes ago, FightTheDead118 said:

Thanes torso would also work decent for mysterio 

Not so bad, though I feel there is another gold armored print that could do better. I've seen people customizing legos for Mysterio with the Atlantan's chest piece from Aquaman. Looks pretty accurate. 

I'm just in disbelief that we won't be seeing anything for Far From Home. Of all the MCU movies to skip I just cannot wrap my head around it. I've collected all things MCU since the first Iron Man and while I love looking forward to and hunting new mates, the collection has been getting robust. This my be the impetus for me to drop Minimates. As sad as that is for me to think about. 

2 hours ago, stack32 said:

Only a toy collector could argue that appearances in a cartoon and toy line 30 years ago equals more exposure than a current movie that will be seen by millions, including practically everyone who collects minimates.

You asked for mainstream. Millions of people a year ride the Spider-man ride (Hydro-man) and Prowler is in the Into the spider-verse movie. I’m just saying that they aren’t as d-list as one would think. I’m not denying that the new movie will (hopefully for my stock portfolio) be popular but I don’t think that having a classic wave was as poor a choice as you think. It’s a gamble either way.

1 hour ago, bofox said:

I'm just in disbelief that we won't be seeing anything for Far From Home. Of all the MCU movies to skip I just cannot wrap my head around it. I've collected all things MCU since the first Iron Man and while I love looking forward to and hunting new mates, the collection has been getting robust. This my be the impetus for me to drop Minimates. As sad as that is for me to think about. 

It won’t push me to drop Minimates, but I have a LOT of MCU ‘mates still in the package, and some waves I bought more to support the line than because I needed another Black Widow, if the MCU is going to start having gaps in it I’m not sure I need any of them. 

4 hours ago, FightTheDead118 said:

Well if we wanted to make a quick custom of movie mysterio, from a quick look at the database, either the gold ultron or red king would have the most accurate torso, only problem being that the older tru mysterio has a much more accurate color scheme, but the 77 one has better boot detailing, also the 77 ones dome/cape sculp is more accurate, and it would cover up the red bits on the torso better, but the tru one again has a closer color scheme, can anyone here throw together the tru one with the red king torso to see how it works?

Looks decent, I'm trying to find a way to post the pic 

Edit: I posted it on my Instagram story. My name is heinousfigures if you wanna see. Sorry I don't know any good hosting sites 

Edited by Heinous

34 minutes ago, Heinous said:

Edit: I posted it on my Instagram story. My name is heinousfigures if you wanna see. Sorry I don't know any good hosting sites 

Yeah that looks decent, especially since the new cape sculpt on the upcoming mysterio should cover up the little bit of red

36 minutes ago, Heinous said:

Yeah you can't share stories unto websites sadly. If it was a regular post you could share.  Either way he looks great.

13 minutes ago, minimatestopmotion said:

I know this is a bit unrelated but whatever happened to MCU waves at comic shops, like after Homecoming they just started having a boxset at comic shops and an assortment at Walgreens

Probably because the overlap with tru waves made the specialty waves sell shitty, so they got boxsets so they’d only have to sell one set instead of 4, you would think that now tru is closed, it’d be a good time to bring them back, but I guess not

12 hours ago, Valo487 said:

It won’t push me to drop Minimates, but I have a LOT of MCU ‘mates still in the package, and some waves I bought more to support the line than because I needed another Black Widow, if the MCU is going to start having gaps in it I’m not sure I need any of them. 

Knowing there's going to be at least one gap (and probably more, because if they'll skip Spider-Man what won't they skip?) devalues the whole MCU collection to me and I'm only missing a handful of MCU minimates. Add that to the frustration of dealing with Walgreens distribution to find new stuff anyway and it's going to be hard to muster the enthusiasm to put forth the effort.

18 hours ago, stack32 said:

Did you just argue that a wave with Prowler, Hydro-Man, and Molten Man has the best mass market potential?

I'd make the same argument if the Minimates looked anything like their cinematic counterparts. As is, they're pretty obscure.

Far From Home isn't just another MCU flick. It represents the beginning of a new phase – maybe an entirely new era – of the Marvel film franchise. As such, it's a jumping off point for licensees who've noticed that not every Marvel movie is worth the price. Spider-Man films have been trending downward at the box office, sadly.

It's just troubling that a self-professed Spider-fan like DST President Chuck is now skipping TWO Spider-Man movies in a row.

3 hours ago, stack32 said:

Knowing there's going to be at least one gap (and probably more, because if they'll skip Spider-Man what won't they skip?) devalues the whole MCU collection to me and I'm only missing a handful of MCU minimates. Add that to the frustration of dealing with Walgreens distribution to find new stuff anyway and it's going to be hard to muster the enthusiasm to put forth the effort.

Agreed, this does remind me of the 1701 TNG fiasco from playmates.

Just keep flooding their inbox with complaints. That's really the only way I can see getting anything for this movie, which I certainly hope happens. But sadly, probably won't.

11 minutes ago, PrinceCuseCuse said:

Just keep flooding their inbox with complaints. That's really the only way I can see getting anything for this movie, which I certainly hope happens. But sadly, probably won't.

I'm sure it's too late but I've definitely sent something to Ask DST. It will be interesting to see the response.