UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"Avengers: Endgame" Minimates - SPOILERS INSIDE

MisterPL

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Mattallica said:

remember when we were brainstorming wave 100 and how DST should commemorate it? now it seems questionable that we might even see wave 80 ?

Don't say this! ??

4 minutes ago, youbastards said:

Lack of licensing would be a very specific reason.

I think it was the licensing. I remember seeing it in a thread before and basically if I remember it right, DST has the rights to make that sized vinyl figure with no articulation, and for only certain licenses, and Marvel was never one of them. Because if they did, I’m sure they would hop on with characters like Galactus, Sentinels, Goliath, Antman, etc. 

40 minutes ago, hellpop said:

1. Okay, a diorama scene. First, this assumes that such a scene would be allowed under the Marvel license. Second, this will require a new mold, more plastic, and new packaging, all of which pushes the price point up. Would you pay an extra $5 or $10 for such a piece? I wouldn't. There's a reason dioramas disappeared from Marvel Legends after like two waves.

2. How is this any different than DST making a wave of a team? It's the same number of figures, just a difference in packaging. And now the price point has gone up. Maybe I don't want to pay $30 for one set; maybe I want to pay $10 spread out over a couple of weeks. More to the point, maybe I'm a retailer that doesn't want to invest the money in a set at that price point. DST has tried big sets like this before, and I'm sure there's a reason they don't do them more often.

3. You assume that DST had the rights to make Minimates from the Spider-Man video game, or that they didn't try to get it.

4. Vinimates are very obviously an attempt to reach the vinyl figure market. Considering that they've managed to get figures made for licensees that are obviously not interested in Minimates, it's at least a partial success. I agree, every time I see a DC Vinimate it makes me sad. But we are a very small part of the overall market, and frankly DST caters to us more than they probably should.

1) yea not the best idea of a pack-in piece. I’m thinking of something that’s like Funko Pop’s Scenes series but for minimates.

2) The last large pack was the 2013 SDCC Hall of Armor that was not a good set and came in that ridiculously designed long package ?.

The other large sets were from Art Asylum and they were repacked mates that were still available in others packs on the same shelf. 

I know my shops dropped minimates cause they don’t want to be stuck w leftover 2packs anymore and others have said the same. Why not try a larger set and see if there’s a market?

3) Do I know if they tried? Nope, but if they didn’t it was a missed opportunity and they are making statues from it so they must still believe there’s a market for items based on the game. 

I’m sticking to my belief DST needs to go beyond their basic 2-pack/4pack and offer minimates in different formats. 

Honestly, if I were them I’d try blind boxes. That’s what I see in all kinds of stores in various cardboard displays. Blind bags don’t seem as prevalent as before but maybe offering them again as a mass market item would get them in stores.

12 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Not exactly a diorama, but this ASM 39 homage is probably my favorite minimate set.  Not my favorite characters, not my favorite minimates, but the set works perfectly.  I would love to see more sets like that.

Yes, that’s a really good example of thinking outside the box and doing something creative within the limits of the packaging format. 

5 hours ago, Minimate said:

Okay, I've been misunderstood. I am talking about a hypothetical scenario where Cap and Thor were not chosen to be in Quantum suits.

I'm saying if they were done in their individual costumes, both parties would be appeased. Because then it would just be simple headswaps (and two more box sets) to get Cap and Thor in Quantum gear.

This actually makes the most sense. Do Cap and Thor in their individual costumes, that's a sale. Then people who want them in the Quantum suits as well have to buy that two pack and another box set.

While I agree the colorful suits are eye catching, Minimates being in Walgreens are supposed to appeal to the general audience. If Rocket were the only character at Walgreens in the quantum suit, that wouldn’t make sense to the casual buyer. Having at least a couple quantum suit characters, which is the primary look from Endgame most people will recognize, seems like a given for the only mass retailer on board. 

Honestly, the only other alternative would have been to give us the quantum suit characters at Walgreens and put the colorful characters in the box set. But this would mean we would end up having to track down at least 2 Walgreens sets, which many of us struggle finding one. It would also mean that Walgreens would have multiple versions of the same characters in one wave.

8 hours ago, ampirius said:

You’re saying that you’ve seen them?! Where and how?! Give us more details sir, please. Haha

Zach had them the last day of C2E2. He was going to take some photos and he let me see them after the show. I can’t for the life of me remember the 8th character at Walgreens. I remember 11 of them, and being pleasantly surprised by them.

1 hour ago, Onyx_6 said:

Zach had them the last day of C2E2. He was going to take some photos and he let me see them after the show. I can’t for the life of me remember the 8th character at Walgreens. I remember 11 of them, and being pleasantly surprised by them.

This man is holding out on us guys! Direct all questions to him! Haha we need the info!

I'm really not bothered by Cap being in the Quantum Suit. Sure it would have been easy to do a QC, but really is the new suit that different than 100 other RW&B Caps? The same goes for Thor as long as he has a new Stormbreaker. Really as long as the last unknown characters are Quantum Suit Rocket and Armored Thanos with his sword I'm going to be happy with the wave even sight unseen.

7 minutes ago, FightTheDead118 said:

I know it’ll never happen, but what if they just gave us a torso piece of caps new scale suit that we could just plop onto the civil war body, since his new suit pretty much unchanged other than that

That's fine for everyone who already has that figure but pretty disappointing to the new collector. 

I am really wanting all the Endgame minimates but since all of the Walgreens in my area never got Captain Marvel minimates, I don't think we will see Endgame mates here.

I live in Central, IL (Bloomington/Normal area).  There is more to Illinois that Chicago and that is what sucks because we still have the first and second wave of Walgreens minimates on pegs at a couple of my local stores and it is not right because Walgreens uses the same UPC for all the minimates.  So Chicago can move them and we are sitting on them here.