UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"Avengers: Endgame" Minimates - SPOILERS INSIDE

MisterPL

I was going to talk about distribution, and had even started to type a response, but Fwoosheyman's last statement made my head explode (which is not an emoji, apparently). I imagine if we HADN'T finished the suited team, then we would ALSO have been accused of not trying? Unless he likes those releases and simply wanted more info than what I gave, in which case I JUST said I would be announcing the lineup soon. Telling you guys before they are even on shelves is not going to tip the scales. I'm actually waiting for one of you to find them before I tell the world, because they'll be out any day now. 

Anyway, the distribution we have is what we are able to get. We can't simply make distribution happen, we have the customers we have and we are always looking for new customers. We've had MM in Hot Topic, GameStop, Kmart, Sears, Target (once upon a time)... Minimates have been everywhere except Walmart, and have never been able to hang on long, not sure if us pushing them harder online or in print ads would have moved the needle. Having them on Walgreens.com was a big boon for TRU 26, but maybe it needed (needs) a bigger online marketing push to sell out. Curious how they would have done in stores.  

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

If DST was making any sort of attempt to evolve minimates or be creative I’d be more understanding but things like@DSTZach just confirming that 2 of the 8 Walgreens mates are just Quantum suit Cap & Thor shows that DST isn’t even trying. 

We always hear people bitch about completing teams and now they are and people are bitching. I get it, the QR suits are stupid when the same character have much better alt costumes in the same movie, but I get why they are doing it. It's something new and fresh 

12 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

If DST was making any sort of attempt to evolve minimates or be creative I’d be more understanding but things like@DSTZach just confirming that 2 of the 8 Walgreens mates are just Quantum suit Cap & Thor shows that DST isn’t even trying. 

I think we have evolved Minimates, but what do you think they should evolve to? We added the BAF, we've developed the advanced head-swap technology we used on the Strike Force wave and the Endgame sets... do we think adding articulation or more accessories is going to affect sales? If by evolve you mean animated series or movie deal, those are obviously very nice forms of evolution indeed. 

I personally think Vinimates are kind of an evolution of Minimates, in their own way, but I can see how that might not be everyone's favorite route. 

18 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Unfortunately I’m well aware DST is now a bust/statue company who just happens to make marvel minimates and Select figures. If Walgreens or Disney store didn’t want them anymore I’m sure they’d be dead.

I’m just not happy about and will go on voicing my opinion on it until the bitter end. 

they're actually saving us money.  if you had to buy 3 box sets to get everyone in the suit, then that would leave you with another extra war machine, an extra body, and you'd be paying $25 for those two figures as opposed to $10 at walgreens for those 2.   now the bad news is we're all thinking that this means we won't get the new outfits for cap or thor.  

anyone else here now thinking of the malibu stacey episode of simpsons where people freak out b/c she has a new hat?

10 minutes ago, Minimate said:

I'm not mad or anything... But I must say making Cap and Thor in regular suits would've been the better choice. That way, if people want those two in Quantum suits, they could just do head swaps. 

Fun fact: Cap and Thor are actually a head swap of each other! So if you want the full suit team, you'll need to buy two of that two-pack. I think that's the only other multiple buy you'll need. 

There are actually a few characters we're duplicating in silver suits AND their other suits (Widow, Tony, Barton, Rhodey, Hulk), but Cap and Thor are not them. 

Edited by DSTZach

8 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Fun fact: Cap and Thor are actually a head swap of each other! So if you want the full suit team, you'll need to buy two of that two-pack. I think that's the only other multiple buy you'll need. 

There are actually a few characters we're duplicating in silver suits AND their other suits (Widow, Tony, Barton, Rhodey, Hulk), but Cap and Thor are not them. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
i guess get ready for people bitching about having to buy 2 of those 2packs now.  and there it is though, that will now be the most sought after pack.

thanks for info!

I think DST has just been dealt a bad hand in the last few years, and it feels like everyone is giving them a bad rep more and more. For what it's worth, I feel they're trying their best with what they have going on. Sure, I want things to be better, but I'm also grateful for any kind of release we get, because it shows that this is a line that DST wants to keep going.

Back on the Endgame stuff, I quite like the uniform look of the quantum suits, I just think it's awkward to see someone like Cap or Iron Man with their regular blue or red helmets on top of the relatively drab silver bodies.

17 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Okay, I've been misunderstood. I am talking about a hypothetical scenario where Cap and Thor were not chosen to be in Quantum suits.

I'm saying if they were done in their individual costumes, both parties would be appeased. Because then it would just be simple headswaps (and two more box sets) to get Cap and Thor in Quantum gear.

34 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I think we have evolved Minimates, but what do you think they should evolve to? We added the BAF, we've developed the advanced head-swap technology we used on the Strike Force wave and the Endgame sets... do we think adding articulation or more accessories is going to affect sales? If by evolve you mean animated series or movie deal, those are obviously very nice forms of evolution indeed. 

I personally think Vinimates are kind of an evolution of Minimates, in their own way, but I can see how that might not be everyone's favorite route. 

I'd go further to say that the toy/collectibles industry has evolved away from what Minimates are, and that you guys have responded to that in pretty substantial ways.

3 hours ago, hellpop said:

At this point it's pretty clear that Minimates aren't a big priority for DST any more. I don't think it has anything to do with "doing things right" or not, but with the realities that: the figure line has been around for more than a decade; has never been more than a niche of a niche of a niche; and lost a major retail outlet with only minimal replacement. I don't want to say that we're lucky we're still getting Minimates at all, but....I don't know how else to finish that sentence.

Reality.

Having seen these all in hand, not my hands mind you, I think the assortment for Walgreens looks great. The only gripe I voiced was that we don’t get a correct-sized gauntlet. The accessories are otherwise appropriate for the characters. I love Widow’s new hair piece. The War Machine armor is nice. I can’t wait to have these in my hands 

5 minutes ago, Onyx_6 said:

Having seen these all in hand, not my hands mind you, I think the assortment for Walgreens looks great. The only gripe I voiced was that we don’t get a correct-sized gauntlet. The accessories are otherwise appropriate for the characters. I love Widow’s new hair piece. The War Machine armor is nice. I can’t wait to have these in my hands 

You’re saying that you’ve seen them?! Where and how?! Give us more details sir, please. Haha

56 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

So from what you’re saying, it seems like we might get an army builder with the cap/Thor pack? If they’re heads swap for the same body, it seems like that’s where you guys are going with it, right?

and I’m honestly excited that we’re getting the different looks for Widow, Tony, Barton Rhodes and Hulk. It means we’re getting Widow in her new spy outfit, Tony in his Mark 50, Barton as Ronin, Rhodes as bulky War Machine, and Professor Hulk. I’m just hoping for the new looks for Rocket, and Thanos. And that we get an MCU version of storm breaker. Thanks for the info @DSTZach

39 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I was going to talk about distribution, and had even started to type a response, but Fwoosheyman's last statement made my head explode (which is not an emoji, apparently). I imagine if we HADN'T finished the suited team, then we would ALSO have been accused of not trying?

No I’d say that was a smart decision and they are easy quick customs by using minimates main & best feature which is parts swapping. You can’t make a Cap or Thor in their Endgame costumes. We never got Thor in this outfit in the Inifnity War waves so this is twice it’s missed. 

If there was a second wave/more releases sure go for it and make both versions. But if we only get one make the more interesting versions not the quick custom versions as a regulat release. 

As @Minimate said I’d prefer to have to buy another boxset then to not have to buy another boxset and not get Cap/Thor in street gear. DST exists to sell product make people want to buy more product. Advertise in the two packs  “hey kids! want Cap and Thor in their quantum suits check out this boxset and use minimates swapping feature to create them”. Encourage more sales not less.

32 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

No that’s not what I meant, the product is fine. Offer them in different more creative forms than just standard two packs and 4-packs. Something that makes them stand out on the shelves wether it be something like versus/battle scene packs or team packs.

How about a wolverine/Sabertooth 2pack w a little snowy cliff/ground piece they can be posed on and used to create your own little scene. Perfect for a single purchase for a desk but can be combined w others to create something larger. 

You want Jim Lee X-men here’s a team pack of something like Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean, Gambit, Rogue & Storm. Stick to we’ll known groupings and one buy packs that gives the buyer a complete team. Think of it as a new form of the “best of” minimates if stores want multipacks and not waves of 2packs.

Go beyond movies, not making product for the Spiderman PS4 game was a missed opportunity. It’s was HUGE and sold over 9 million copies. Having merchandise for it when it released could have gotten minimates back into stores like GameStop, etc.

Vinimates designs are great but they just make me want them in minimate form (DC movies especially ?).  I’m not a statue guy, I want to be able to move the collectible into a pose I want. Also I don’t have the room for them. 

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

Feel free to message me with low-cost marketing ideas, obviously there are certain restrictions we need to work within. 

Thanks for the sneaky peaky.   I think the only criticism I can make of the boxset is that maybe it should have included the Thor/Cap combo instead of War Machine, that way you could get two sets and not have extra 'mates left.  Ah well, that ship has sailed, and I trust DST had some reason for doing it the way they did it.  Interested to see what the companion wave ends up looking like.  

11 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

Vinimates designs are great but they just make me want them in minimate form (DC movies especially ?).  I’m not a statue guy, I want to be able to move the collectible into a pose I want. Also I don’t have the room for them. 

BINGO. One of the huge appeals of Minimates is their diminutive size. I can have a large collection in a small space. The few Vinimates I have (Dr. Manhattan, IronGiant, Cthulhu) are simply placeholders for larger Minimates.

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

Thanks for the sneaky peaky.   I think the only criticism I can make of the boxset is that maybe it should have included the Thor/Cap combo instead of War Machine, that way you could get two sets and not have extra 'mates left.  Ah well, that ship has sailed, and I trust DST had some reason for doing it the way they did it.  Interested to see what the companion wave ends up looking like.  

War Machine might have three different armors in this flick. Rhodey could have his own 4-pack.

18 minutes ago, fwoosheyman said:

How about a wolverine/Sabertooth 2pack w a little snowy cliff/ground piece they can be posed on and used to create your own little scene. Perfect for a single purchase for a desk but can be combined w others to create something larger. 

You want Jim Lee X-men here’s a team pack of something like Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean, Gambit, Rogue & Storm. Stick to we’ll known groupings and one buy packs that gives the buyer a complete team. Think of it as a new form of the “best of” minimates if stores want multipacks and not waves of 2packs.

Go beyond movies, not making product for the Spiderman PS4 game was a missed opportunity. It’s was HUGE and sold over 9 million copies. Having merchandise for it when it released could have gotten minimates back into stores like GameStop, etc.

No offense, but these are not great ideas.

1. Okay, a diorama scene. First, this assumes that such a scene would be allowed under the Marvel license. Second, this will require a new mold, more plastic, and new packaging, all of which pushes the price point up. Would you pay an extra $5 or $10 for such a piece? I wouldn't. There's a reason dioramas disappeared from Marvel Legends after like two waves.

2. How is this any different than DST making a wave of a team? It's the same number of figures, just a difference in packaging. And now the price point has gone up. Maybe I don't want to pay $30 for one set; maybe I want to pay $10 spread out over a couple of weeks. More to the point, maybe I'm a retailer that doesn't want to invest the money in a set at that price point. DST has tried big sets like this before, and I'm sure there's a reason they don't do them more often.

3. You assume that DST had the rights to make Minimates from the Spider-Man video game, or that they didn't try to get it.

4. Vinimates are very obviously an attempt to reach the vinyl figure market. Considering that they've managed to get figures made for licensees that are obviously not interested in Minimates, it's at least a partial success. I agree, every time I see a DC Vinimate it makes me sad. But we are a very small part of the overall market, and frankly DST caters to us more than they probably should.

45 minutes ago, Turtle said:

my assumption is that:

1) walgreens wants all of the main characters in their wave

2) walgreens wouldn't want 2 war machines in their wave

i'm sure there was a bit of mix and matching and thought that went into this.  

as for the extra cap head i will have, now i will need to go find me a cap from infinity war.  maybe just by putting this new head on the old body it will look like the new cap uniform