UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"Avengers: Endgame" Minimates - SPOILERS INSIDE

MisterPL

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure the sash has a deeper meaning that they'll explain in sequel. It could just be fan service since Carol has always had a sash, even during her Ms. Marvel days. 

Also like how her suit is a homage to Captain Mar-Vell's suit.

180?cb=20111123125719

Edited by RedTiger95

On 5/16/2019 at 12:54 AM, darthdoughboy said:

I found two sets of the Endgame minimates in Conway, Arkansas at one Walgreens, so hopefully all of us in the middle of the country can get them soon.

I went out checking and found none in my neck of the woods, Jonesboro, AR. I may have to make a drive to Conway one week. 

Edited by Tribble_WC

My hunt is finally over too. Now I just got to get a couple of the box sets. 

Canton GA is where I found them. I cleared out that Walgreens but I can confirm they are in Georgia. 

5 minutes ago, Trekker 42 said:

My hunt is finally over too. Now I just got to get a couple of the box sets. 

Canton GA is where I found them. I cleared out that Walgreens but I can confirm they are in Georgia. 

That's good to know, I'm further down in Savannah. So I hope we get them soon.

Love that Captain Marvel's look is like Mar-Vell's and it makes her stand out a bit from Captain America with a mainly blue costume with a star in the centre of the chest. 

And man would I love a minimate form of that look. Don't have the talent to make it.

Edited by Spider-Cyam

43 minutes ago, Spider-Cyam said:

Love that Captain Marvel's look is like Mar-Vell's and it makes her stand out a bit from Captain America with a mainly blue costume with a star in the centre of the chest. 

And man would I love a minimate form of that look. Don't have the talent to make it.

I agree. That’s what frustrates me. There’s not a loose strand strand any of the men’s costumes that does not have a function or serve a purpose, even as a symbol. Yet, the most powerful person in the galaxy (who happens to be a woman) wears totally a useless, nonfunctional, gender-stereotyped item that signifies what, she needs a place to wipe her hands after she punches through a star destroyer? Makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Padrino said:

I agree. That’s what frustrates me. There’s not a loose strand strand any of the men’s costumes that does not have a function or serve a purpose, even as a symbol. Yet, the most powerful person in the galaxy (who happens to be a woman) wears totally a useless, nonfunctional, gender-stereotyped item that signifies what, she needs a place to wipe her hands after she punches through a star destroyer? Makes no sense.

It's called fashion, sweetie. Look it up. *flips hair and walks out sassy*

Also, I'd argue that fingerless gloves don't see a purpose to someone who punches through star destroyers 

Edited by Heinous

Just out of curiosity for anyone who bought the MK85 IM and Thanos pack - Who should have that gauntlet that it comes with? technically neither character had it in the movie... Is it meant to be just a random extra?

6 minutes ago, Modefan said:

Just out of curiosity for anyone who bought the MK85 IM and Thanos pack - Who should have that gauntlet that it comes with? technically neither character had it in the movie... Is it meant to be just a random extra?

I'm in the process of painting mine metallic red

I got the wave today and overall, I'm actually pretty satisfied. I have a few minor complaints, but overall, I like em!

1. Thor doesn't have the scar over his right eye.

2. War Machine, Iron Man, and Black Widow all use the same heads that came with the 4 pack. 

And 3. Hulk should have glasses.

Other than that, solid wave! Still wish we would've gotten their more prominent looks but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, Heinous said:

It's called fashion, sweetie. Look it up. *flips hair and walks out sassy*

Also, I'd argue that fingerless gloves don't see a purpose to someone who punches through star destroyers 

True to your second point. 

Way off on the first. What about Carol Danvers says, “I enjoy a fashionable hip sash”? It doesn’t fit the character at all. Steve Rogers’ first suit was fan service and they commented on how silly/useless it was. His second suit was functional and kept the spirit of the character. They went backward with Danvers. 

Found these in NJ today. It was not a store that had 0 movie mates but a store that actually had a lot and they got 2 sets.

The two stores that had 0 movie mates instead each got in a case of captain marvel that was 2x marvel/korath & 2x fury/Ronan. ? huh??

These definitely suffer from being based on promo materials with hulk’s suit being lavender, the quantum suits being silver and weird decisions by DST such as making Ronin’s sword so tiny (it’s like the tiny katana mold from long ago), Thanos’ sword being really stubby, his helmet missing gold paint on the top and Rocket not having pupils again. 

If DST hadn’t stubbornly/stupidly decided to not make anymore Endgame minimates (as it keeps raking in the $$$ headed toward being the biggest movie ever) then these wouldn’t be so disappointing since we’d get 2nd versions of characters that would be more accurate. Instead I’ve got an Endgame collection made up mostly of inaccurate Quantum suit figures. Whoop de do. ?

Checked two Walgreens and found one set of the wave at one, no movie minimates at the other. My thoughts on the figures:

Ronin: One of the better figures in the wave. I think the decision to make his coat an separate piece was the right one, I just wish it fit a little tighter. The sculpt and details are nice, I especially like the hood. It's a shame there's no unmasked head and torso detailing. As fwoosheyman just pointed out, the sword does seem weirdly small.

Black Widow: For me Widow is tied with Thanos for the best of the wave and she's probably one of the better MCU 'mates that have been made, not that we're short on good MCU Black Widows. The tampos are good and it looks like all the details are present. The likeness on the face isn't especially good (or bad) but it's much better than on the Infinity War figure. Unlike most of these figures she's loaded with accessories. My only criticisms would be that the backpack harness is a little loose and her gauntlets are a bit large, the left knee is also quite loose on my figure. Still, this is my favorite MCU Black Widow and if I get around to making a non-continuity display this figure (with a hair swap) will definitely be in it.

Hulk: There's not much to praise on this figure: The tampos aren't very detailed, the colors are awful, the hair is wrong and missing any gray. I guess a smiling Hulk head is nice to have? Maybe DST had some concept art that makes this figure make sense but it's definitely not a great representation of the movie or any early art that I can find.

War Machine: Even though this is the Mk 6 this 'mate needs more bulk. I thought the Mk 4 from Infinity War was just mediocre for that armor but a similar design would have been nearly perfect for this figure. The angle the arm that holds the gun attaches to the chest piece means the gun is permanently pointed at a 45 degree angle downwards and it looks bad. Not sure there's a good way to fix this and it shouldn't happen at all. I hate the approach DST has been taking to movie armor helmets lately so I don't like this one, for what it is I guess it's okay. The Don Cheadle likeness is decent. The tampos are really excellent and I think this figure might is some of the best work DST has done.

Cap/Thor: Massive accuracy issues aside the tampos on the QR suit are very nice, I can almost imagine finding a use for it in another display since it's barely recognizable as coming from Endgame.  It's too bad this figure (or any of the QR figures) doesn't come with a QR helmet. Having an unmasked Steve Rogers head means you can get a look that's vaguely accurate to the movie. His mask was obviously part of the inaccurate reference material, mine has the A printed off center. As PrinceCuseCuse said, Thor has no scar detail which is kind of a major thing. Stormbreaker, the main draw for the set, is very nice and seems to be the right size.

Rocket: The tampo is excellent. Otherwise this figure has all the strengths and flaws (especially the creepy eyes) of the Infinity War version and feels really light on accessories.

Iron Man: I generally don't like Iron Man being just a basic minimate body but I think it works fine for the Mk 85. Another excellent tampo, I do wish the arc reactor was a little brighter. My comments about Rhodey's helmet apply to this one too. The Stark head has an appropriate expression but the lack or gray in the hair throws things off. The gauntlet ends up feeling like a waste. Like the Mk 50 this figure is decent for what's there but it's missing everything that makes the armor or scenes in the movie where it appears memorable so it ends up a big letdown.

Thanos: As I mentioned before I think Thanos is tied with Widow for the best in the wave. I think the armor looks excellent, the only criticism is the little bit of missing gold on the helmet. I find the figure articulated enough to do what I need him to do. His ridiculous lawnmower blade is undersized significantly but I do appreciate that it gets some paint. Did anyone else get two? Not sure if that is normal or not. The purple used looks different than Infinity War to me but I don't have that figure handy to compare.

Overall what you think of the wave is going to depend on how you choose to evaluate it. As a representation of the movie it's pretty poor. As a collection of minimates it has some really excellent work and some that's quite disappointing. I'll probably end up re-purposing the good and throwing the rest in storage since there's not enough here to make an Endgame display worthwhile.

1 hour ago, minimatestopmotion said:

By the way, the War Machine Gun is removable.

Interesting, mine certainly doesn't feel removable, there's no give anywhere. I'll have to carefully check again.

Update: Upon further review I can confirm the gun on mine is going nowhere without the careful application of an X-acto knife, it's definitely glued to the chest piece.

Edited by stack32

1 hour ago, stack32 said:

Interesting, mine certainly doesn't feel removable, there's no give anywhere. I'll have to carefully check again.

Update: Upon further review I can confirm the gun on mine is going nowhere without the careful application of an X-acto knife, it's definitely glued to the chest piece.

That's so odd, because when I took the chest piece off, I pushed it a little bit from the inside and it came right out. I can insert it back into the chest piece just as easily too.