UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"Avengers: Endgame" Minimates - SPOILERS INSIDE

MisterPL

7 hours ago, DSTZach said:

We showed those literally a month ago. The set was made. What sort of rapid response were you expecting? Us rushing a new set into production with probably no more reference than we had, based on a few people's disappointment?

Pretty sure the Thor we made for IW was in the outfit he wore for all but the last five minutes. I know people wanted final battle, but that was not what he wore for the majority of the film.

We work with what we have, and what we can get approved. I think it's a strong assortment, and not repetitive with what has come before, but Sorry you are disappointed.

Citing hindsight implies the demand for something wasn't clear when the decision was being made. That definitely wasn't the case here.

I think making Thor in the IW outfit would have been a better compromise, we could have still put the head on a QR suit just as easily and would have had some parts to customize the other look people are asking for. Honestly, I'm shocked this isn't glaringly obvious.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stack32 said:

I think making Thor in the IW outfit would have been a better compromise, we could have still put the head on a QR suit just as easily and would have had some parts to customize the other look people are asking for. Honestly, I'm shocked this isn't glaringly obvious.

I’m shocked you are missing Zach’s clue of “what we can get approved”. Licensing isn’t just I’ve give you money now my company gets to do what they want to. There is a structure to the deal where approvals are built in and it isn’t a negotiation. The brand can say no. You can got in and say I’m making these 7 figures out of 7 characters and they can say no you actually are not you can only make these 7 figures out of these 5 characters and if the deal doesn’t protect you then you have a wave with 5 characters. Then there are negations when  you have a deadline looming and a long production lead time so you really can’t fight it if you want to or are legally required to make the date. It’s really easy to pick apart these lines and decisions from an outsider perspective since we aren’t held to the rules of their game nor do we have NDAs or the actual sales figures at play. No one at DST wants to purposefully fail or give you a shirty product. For most people in the Toy Industry this is their dream job and they want to keep it going. They work extremely hard to get mates on shelves for us whilst also delivering ROI to keep the lights on. 

You don't think they could make a costume that was used in a bunch of marketing material for the film? That seems rather unlikely to me. I understand why spoilerish looks couldn't be made at release but that gets to the discussion of the total amount of product for the movie.

46 minutes ago, stack32 said:

You don't think they could make a costume that was used in a bunch of marketing material for the film? That seems rather unlikely to me. I understand why spoilerish looks couldn't be made at release but that gets to the discussion of the total amount of product for the movie.

I think it depends on the time line. You are assuming that the marketing materials were done before the figures got into prototype which may or may not be the case. I’m assuming that if they didn’t make that figure that that costume was off the table.

When it comes to entertainment marketing logic isn’t always available. I’ve had marketing materials go all the way to shipping before getting a frantic call that everything had to be redone because an exec decided they don’t “like” the photo. I’ve even gotten to the point where stuff was approved and up and then had to be taken down - immediately. I have even had to explain how plastic is going to absorb a colour differently and then been summoned to get lashings because it wasn’t listened to. I’ve had events where I wasn’t allowed to use a hashtag associated with a tour or even say the name of the artist. All of these decisions are made at the contract stage and sadly none of us (possibly even Zach) weren’t involved so I find it a bit of shooting the messenger at this stage and the only thing that would potentially get us another wave is this one being so financially profitable that it’s worth DST and Marvel Studios to get back to the table. 

You're willing to be more charitable than I am but I do get it and I'd probably be much more understanding if they hadn't skipped the major costumes for 2 out of the top 3 Avengers, especially given how they handled Thor from the last movie. If I thought buying these would actually cause DST to do a second wave I'd be all over it (if Walgreens would cooperate) but since they've never done that, even with genuine surprise successes let alone an expected one, I think what we've got is what we're getting and any other comments are just to shut us up in the meantime.

3 hours ago, stack32 said:

You're willing to be more charitable than I am but I do get it and I'd probably be much more understanding if they hadn't skipped the major costumes for 2 out of the top 3 Avengers, especially given how they handled Thor from the last movie. If I thought buying these would actually cause DST to do a second wave I'd be all over it (if Walgreens would cooperate) but since they've never done that, even with genuine surprise successes let alone an expected one, I think what we've got is what we're getting and any other comments are just to shut us up in the meantime.

Sorry you feel that way but unless you have a sales sheet in front of you success is just your definition of what you have deemed a success without the actual information. It may be that a wave eventually sold out but it could be a year later. That’s not a success.

10 hours ago, stack32 said:

Citing hindsight implies the demand for something wasn't clear when the decision was being made. That definitely wasn't the case here.

So you're saying because FInal Battle Thor was absent from the IW waves, we should have known to make him in a final battle look for Endgame, even though (we were not sure when or if he would wear a final battle look? (I'm fairly certain that is true, maybe I missed a very early trailer that showed him in his full costume, but I don't think I did.)

10 hours ago, stack32 said:

So you're saying that we should have done an IW look in an Endgame wave? That would never have happened, unless he wore the exact same look and we were also told that, which I imagine they would have. 

5 hours ago, stack32 said:

I'm not trying to shut anyone up, I do not think more Endgame MM are forthcoming, so discuss away. But as far as I can tell the final battle Cap and Thor looks are very similar to what has come before, are usually very heavily repeated characters, and are easy QCs. I may be wrong. Sorry if people are unhappy. 

Edited by DSTZach

3 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Sorry you feel that way but unless you have a sales sheet in front of you success is just your definition of what you have deemed a success without the actual information. It may be that a wave eventually sold out but it could be a year later. That’s not a success.

Movie successes, like Guardians of the Galaxy. I totally disagree that we can't criticize without complete information but that's not what I was talking about.

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

So you're saying because FInal Battle Thor was absent from the IW waves, we should have known to make him in a final battle look for Endgame, even though (we were not sure when or if he would wear a final battle look? (I'm fairly certain that is true, maybe I missed a very early trailer that showed him in his full costume, but I don't think I did.)

So you're saying that we should have done an IW look in an Endgame wave? That would never have happened, unless he wore the exact same look and we were also told that, which I imagine they would have. 

I'm saying that a final battle look (whoever it might be for) being something the fans would want isn't an issue of hindsight, it's just a given. It feels worse for Thor because of the lineup DST released last time. As for the IW Thor costume, um, you've seen Endgame, right?

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

I'm not trying to shut anyone up, I do not think more Endgame MM are forthcoming, so discuss away. But as far as I can tell the final battle Cap and Thor looks are very similar to what has come before, are usually very heavily repeated characters, and are easy QCs. I may be wrong. Sorry if people are unhappy. 

If you can point me towards a Cap torso with scaled a chest and shoulders that matches the CW or AoU figures I'll stop complaining about him. As for Thor, some people have done a commendable job here trying to piece something together but personally I find those wanting.

1 hour ago, stack32 said:

If you can point me towards a Cap torso

Battle damaged/ mud covered cap from the second Civil War assortment is what I'm using. The dirt covers up enough to make it okay. Not perfect, but better than nothing!

There’s no point in trying to argue w @DSTZach he’s a DST employee and it’s his job to represent the company and defend them. He’s not going to say publicly his boss/co-workers made bad decisions or are wrong even if he personally felt that way. 

Although he should probably stop getting into arguments w people here on a fan forum. I know he’s just passionate and cares but the “Chuck-like” responses he’s allowed to give won’t satisfy most people. Unless he’s willing to take people’s concerns/ideas to @DSTchuck it’s just best to stick w telling us news/info/hints.

As for a custom Endgame Cap there’s nothing out there that can be used to make it. The AOU uniform is close by overall design but along w the scaled chest, there’s difference w the arms/legs and the shade of blue isn’t close. Civil War is closer by design/color but still off. The IW Cap is the right shade of blue but the uniform design doesn’t match and there’s no helmet. I might try painting a Civil War Cap I think that’s the best that can be done.

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I mean, the IW costume has been on all the Endgame marketing material since (at least) February. I'm fairly certain that costume was marketed before the QC suits. And the Thor you gave us isn't in the movie at all...

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

So now is the time when minimates decides to shy away from heavily used characters/costumes?

Also, I read "are easy QCs" as, "We don't want to give you the minimates you wanted, you make 'em".

It is truly baffling to me that a toy company that has provided toy lines for a movie series for 10+ years doesn't bother to have ANY plans to release the most pertinent figures from the epic conclusion of a 22 movie saga that just grossed $1.2 billion in four days.

Like, throughout all the meetings and paperwork, etc., etc., no one ever raised their hand and said, "Okay, well, what about when we don't have to worry about spoilers?"

Wow.

Sheesh. This place is super toxic lately. I get everyone is passionate, but at the end of the day they’re just toys. I don’t think there’s been a single thread in which there’s not SOME complaint about something released. I get it, we’re the consumers, we voice our opinions. Some civility and kindness would do wonders to help make sure, what used to be, our little slice of heaven stays fun for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Freaqualizer said:

Sheesh. This place is super toxic lately. I get everyone is passionate, but at the end of the day they’re just toys. I don’t think there’s been a single thread in which there’s not SOME complaint about something released. I get it, we’re the consumers, we voice our opinions. Some civility and kindness would do wonders to help make sure, what used to be, our little slice of heaven stays fun for everyone. 

I'm with ya, bro. I don't wanna leave the forum anytime soon, but it is bringing me down lately. I miss happy things.

9 hours ago, fwoosheyman said:

There’s no point in trying to argue w @DSTZach he’s a DST employee and it’s his job to represent the company and defend them. He’s not going to say publicly his boss/co-workers made bad decisions or are wrong even if he personally felt that way. 

Although he should probably stop getting into arguments w people here on a fan forum. I know he’s just passionate and cares but the “Chuck-like” responses he’s allowed to give won’t satisfy most people. Unless he’s willing to take people’s concerns/ideas to @DSTchuck it’s just best to stick w telling us news/info/hints.

Agreed on both counts and I should know better but some of these statements are pretty tough to take. However, we rarely get any satisfactory explanations for the head-scratching decisions DST sometimes makes so there's no reason to expect one now. Unfortunately I think they're underestimating the damage they're doing to the MCU brand at a time when they really can't afford to make product less attractive.

One thing I have learned to accept over the years is that the companies making the stuff we like to collect are in the game to be profitable and they can't always talk about the hows and whys of production/decisions.  I think they often want to, both because they are usually fans and because they would feel better by clearing the air on what is usually presumption and/or misunderstanding.  This is not always fact, but is generally true.  More and more, owners of IP are restricting what producers can do and talk about openly.

I am not taking sides. Its simply that I used to get very aggravated with situations and lack of explanation that I felt I was somewhat owed as a fan.  Ask questions and hope for answers, but try to expect little.  Its how I get by in this passion.  Zach and Chuck have been pretty good to us considering how much they interact with us.

Folks have a right to be upset by things they are passionate about and discussing them here with civility is part of what makes this hobby fun.