UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

"Avengers: Endgame" Minimates - SPOILERS INSIDE

MisterPL

It's been my impression (which could be wrong) that if DST isn't already planning movie minimates when the movie is released it's too late to reverse course and add a wave or boxset later. I think if that was something they could or were willing to do they probably would have done it once or twice with past MCU movies.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Swarm198 said:

I gotta say, I am not a fan of how this movie wave was handled.

I feel like the decision to do the quantum suits, that have minimal screen time, was more a cash-grab business decision than fan service.\

As far as I know it was neither. I don't believe they chose Quantum suits because it would be cheap or because it would be some minimally used look that fans would get a kick out of. As far as I know, these were the looks that, having made dozens of variations of the main costumes in the Infinity War and previous waves, and based on the information we had, would be the most appropriate for this wave. But sorry people are unhappy.

I believe most people would gladly trade all of those QS figures in for the epic, final battle costumes of Thor, Cap, Rocket, Pepper, etc., etc.

And I know the response will be that DST did not have access to that concept art, but I’d counter and say that I think most fans would happily wait six months for a wave that accurately portrayed the movie.

Hindsight is golden, and this movie is kind of a game-changer, but that is not true in our experience. Traditionally, fans MIGHT wait that long, depending on the product, but retailers would generally not. Sales would suffer. 

Granted, these characters may be announced down the road, but until then they just seem like massive holes in MCU collections.

I'm not aware of any more MM releases for Endgame, but never say never. 

Not releasing them has pretty much convinced me not to buy any of the movie mates because I don’t like having gaps in my collection.

You mean not going back and buying any of the previous movie mates? Or just not buying THESE movie mates? Because if that's the case, it seems like the gap in your collection would only be bigger if you skipped the entire wave.

Right now all I wanna do is find the Walgreens wave. I’ll order the box set if I do. If I can’t find them,I won’t buy any of the Endgame sets. Because frankly I’d rather have none of them than have most of the Avengers but no Thanos, Thor, and Cap. 

5 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

Boy am I disappointed. Boy do I feel like crap saying I'm disappointed. Anyways, cue the MCU fanboys telling me I have the "wrong opinion."

Allow me to go back and correct my comment earlier. To be disappointed is fine. That's an opinion, one that you're more than welcome to have. I wasn't disappointed with the movie, though I am disappointed with the Mates. However, what you said earlier was that the MCU doesn't have long term storytelling, which isn't an opinion. An opinion would be that you don't think the long term storytelling is very good. Which I don't agree with. But I was just being a dick earlier with that comment and I apologize.

The hindsight excuse (Zach's go-to when DST makes weird or disappointing lineup decisions) falls flat for Endgame when practically the first response fans had to the QR suits was "We're still getting their real costumes, right?" Not to mention we've been asking for a Thor that appears in the movie for more than 5 minutes since Infinity War came out. If anyone at DST looked at this lineup and thought fans would be satisfied maybe they should look for a different line of work.

2 hours ago, stack32 said:

The hindsight excuse (Zach's go-to when DST makes weird or disappointing lineup decisions) falls flat for Endgame when practically the first response fans had to the QR suits was "We're still getting their real costumes, right?" Not to mention we've been asking for a Thor that appears in the movie for more than 5 minutes since Infinity War came out. If anyone at DST looked at this lineup and thought fans would be satisfied maybe they should look for a different line of work.

I am ok with the Quantum Suits to be honest. Giving us the final battle would have meant spoilers galore for anyone who got the figures. Not to mention DST was able to get both the Walgreens wave (sort of) and the 4 pack out in time for the film. I get that we all want those other looks, but as long as we are still getting movie Minimates there is a chance, especially for Thor. The Q suits were unique to the film and something that did not give anything away so I'm ok with them, and happy they got them out so quick. 

And Honestly Zach is right about retailers not wanting them later even if we do. I have a hard enough time getting Minimates at comic shops in CT, my stores will order boxsets for me but not 2 packs, so I know they would never get them so far after the fact. We are such a niche market, that is dwindling by the year, I am just enjoying the ride while we can. 

15 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I'm not aware of any more MM releases for Endgame, but never say never. 

if infinity war got a second wave , i think we were all expecting the same for Endgame...feels like a huge missed opportunity both for fans and DST , especially since its already one of the biggest movies of all time

5 hours ago, kastor said:

I am ok with the Quantum Suits to be honest. Giving us the final battle would have meant spoilers galore for anyone who got the figures. Not to mention DST was able to get both the Walgreens wave (sort of) and the 4 pack out in time for the film. I get that we all want those other looks, but as long as we are still getting movie Minimates there is a chance, especially for Thor. The Q suits were unique to the film and something that did not give anything away so I'm ok with them, and happy they got them out so quick. 

And Honestly Zach is right about retailers not wanting them later even if we do. I have a hard enough time getting Minimates at comic shops in CT, my stores will order boxsets for me but not 2 packs, so I know they would never get them so far after the fact. We are such a niche market, that is dwindling by the year, I am just enjoying the ride while we can. 

I know my loving uniforms is probably why but I can’t find any fault with this choice except that I would have just packed in a Thor and Cap head into the four pack and had Rocket be a variant 50/50 split between his gotg costume and the team look packed with an army builder for Thanos. 

9 hours ago, PrinceCuseCuse said:

Allow me to go back and correct my comment earlier. To be disappointed is fine. That's an opinion, one that you're more than welcome to have. I wasn't disappointed with the movie, though I am disappointed with the Mates. However, what you said earlier was that the MCU doesn't have long term storytelling, which isn't an opinion. An opinion would be that you don't think the long term storytelling is very good. Which I don't agree with. But I was just being a dick earlier with that comment and I apologize.

I appreciate this. I really do. Now please allow me to clarify my comment. I do think that these movies tell long form stories in a narrative aspect very well. Their character arcs however? They change frequently and at the drop of a hat. Captain America goes through the same character arc twice. First in Winter Soldier, then in Civil War. Even afterwards I didn't feel like his character had changed. That's what I'm saying. They do a really good job of building a clear point A to point B adventure, but their characters are often times pretty one noted which is hidden by entrancing dialogue and quick wit. 

I too am a fan of the Quantum Suits. Like someone mentioned before me they are unique to the film and we’ll likely never see anything like it again. However I do wish we could get some of those final battle looks.

My issue is with Walgreens (as usual). I have been to 5 stores all super close to home and they all went 2 weeks without having a single Minimate on the shelf. It gave me up that they got rid of all the old ones to make room for Endgame. Then over the weekend, instead of getting a new shipment of the newest wave, they filled up the pegs with Animated wave 8 and Thor Ragnarok! Not even Infinity War! How can that even be? 

7 hours ago, kastor said:

I don't think anyone was expecting final battle looks would be released the same time as the movie, though Cap's costume was in marketing materials, we just figured they'd make it eventually. I didn't have a problem with DST making the QR suits, but as the only look for some characters they're a pretty poor representation of the movie as a whole, not to mention incomplete.

There's zero chance we see Thor in his final battle look again, I'm not sure why people keep suggesting that.

3 hours ago, minimatestopmotion said:

Wait, I’m confused. The captain marvel and ant man and the wasp minimates came out months after the movie’s release. So...

Ooooooh, got em there!

41 minutes ago, bilbofett said:

Finally saw the movie today. Loved it. Without spoiling anything, has anyone started working different looks for the mates we didn't get. I have some ideas,  but wanted to hear from others.

I made a final battle Thor that needs some adjustments. I think it’s on the previous page. 

14 hours ago, stack32 said:

The hindsight excuse (Zach's go-to when DST makes weird or disappointing lineup decisions) falls flat for Endgame when practically the first response fans had to the QR suits was "We're still getting their real costumes, right?"

We showed those literally a month ago. The set was made. What sort of rapid response were you expecting? Us rushing a new set into production with probably no more reference than we had, based on a few people's disappointment?

Not to mention we've been asking for a Thor that appears in the movie for more than 5 minutes since Infinity War came out.

Pretty sure the Thor we made for IW was in the outfit he wore for all but the last five minutes. I know people wanted final battle, but that was not what he wore for the majority of the film.

If anyone at DST looked at this lineup and thought fans would be satisfied maybe they should look for a different line of work.

We work with what we have, and what we can get approved. I think it's a strong assortment, and not repetitive with what has come before, but Sorry you are disappointed.

7 hours ago, minimatestopmotion said:

Wait, I’m confused. The captain marvel and ant man and the wasp minimates came out months after the movie’s release. So...

But we solicited them before the movies came out. That makes a big difference.

6 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

We showed those literally a month ago. The set was made. What sort of rapid response were you expecting? Us rushing a new set into production with probably no more reference than we had, based on a few people's disappointment?

Well that’s how I feel toward the X-Factor wave. I WANT THEM NOW! 

But back to the topic, I can’t wait to get the Walgreens sets. I’m probably one of the few but I still see Thor, BP, and Infinity war sets on the shelves so I’m not as bothered as to wanting x,y,z. I did find Walgreens War machine and Black widow as wasted slots but I get people wanted them. Hopefully something  with the license can be worked out and another movie wave can happen but if not then I’m grateful for the ones that I have.

I agree with the above sentiment. I’m grateful for the ones we’re getting. Once I find them of course. 

I am kinda bummed we’re not getting fat Thor if only because that version of that character means I finally have a viable superhero cosplay. But that’s okay. I may not have a toy of him but he’s in my soul either way. 

Edited by Trekker 42

I watched the movie last night & thoroughly enjoyed it . 

I'd like to thank people here for keeping schtum & not 'spoiling' but in all honesty are there that many shocks ? OK, I have a moderate knowledge of Marvel Universe ( which helps) but many of the thin threads of the fabric of this movie have been played out before.....in the comics .  

Correlating characters in the movie & what we are getting Minimate -wise , my opinion is that DST probably did quite well within the bounds of what they were probably briefed with .

Of course I can see why many people here would want Minimate incarnations of Thor etc. ..........I would be amongst them.........but that was never going to happen before the movie was launched.

Gripes ?  Not many .  I have however tired of the almost obligatory mass battle scene in most superhero movies that IMHO are becoming yawn-worthy . Sorry .....& yes I know I'm old .

A fitting end to a great series of movies & I'd be surprised that they'll be surpassed in my lifetime ............I will share with my reader that I covertly welled-up when the Stan cameo flashed by , he would have been ( was/is) proud   .

Nuff Said.