UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Where did everybody go?

handsomedevil

I have been guilty of not visiting as often as I used to.  Family issues and buying a house have taken up most of my year.  I check in from time to time, but it seems like a ghost town.  Did everyone just migrate to the Facebook page?  Kinda makes me sad.  I've been around since the original AA forums and this used to be the place to be...

If anyone sees this and is an OG like me, say hi!  :)

Edited by handsomedevil
grammar edit

:highfive: There are still a lot of old-timers around and we still get new folks all the time, but I think the instant gratification crowd does most of their conversing on FB.  I just got some NYCC Battle Beasts to give away, so some folks will trudge back over for that.

Tim is still around but a lot less active.

I agree about posting pictures. It would be a lot easier if the Multiverse could host them like we did in the beginning, but server space blew up.

MPL, I am very sorry to hear about your loss.  I lost my Dad 17 years ago and I understand the hole it can leave in your life.  My sincere condolences.

Hello, handsomedevil.

Welcome back (of sorts), I do find the multiverse a great place to keep up on the news of MiniMates and to get ideas of new custom ideas for MiniMates.

I do wish it was easier to post photos to the site because when I do it appears no one can see them.

And to you MisterPL: so very sorry to hear about the loss of your father.  I lost my mother-in-law 3 years ago and it still affects my wife and I.  Just know that he will be with you forever in your heart and in your memories.  My condolences to you and your family.

I still like to crop up from time to time see if anything neat has been announced. I post occasionally but not like I used to. It feels like Minimates aren’t as important to me as they once were. I’ll grab MCU ones but nowadays that’s about it. Until Godzilla comes back that is

I suspect the ease of posting pictures on FB is part of it, though from my experience in a different FB group it's really a horrible way to run a fan community. I also have to think the rate of new releases and the general feeling that DST is focusing less on minimates is a factor.

The impression I get is that the general activity of the Minimate fandom is being dispersed between multiple outlets. Even on Facebook, there are a few different groups. It isn’t all concentrated in this one forum like it had been in the past, so it’s going to seem like things are dying down even if there is still a strong fan base out there.

For me, it feels like the strongest representation of this community is over on Instagram. That may be partially because of my own interests and the number of Minimate fans I follow over there. But I see constant/growing Minimate-related activity daily on that app

I'm not an OG, but have been on these board for a minute now.
This was THE place to get information when I signed up. I was also *very* rabidly collecting EVERYTHING I could get my hands on.
Between my mania cooling off, information coming from various other sources, and having other life priorities in the last few years, I don't get to rant in here as much as I once dd.

This is, however, still the first place I check after every Con to see what's new and what the people who share my hobby think about it.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:18 AM, handsomedevil said:

Thank you, sir!  I have a furnace repairman here now.  Good times!  hahaha!  

Great to see all the familiar names checking in!!!

Is Tim still around?  Obviously his Bomber-Mate is the highlight of my collection.

Yeah still here more or less - I don't post much these days though.
My collecting is at best sporadic these days, we don't seem to get as much of the lines I'm interested anymore and Marvel the line has been around long enough that I pick and choose what I pick up due to repeats etc. My desk is still scattered with random or QC minimates but the excitement is just not there anymore for me.

The Bomber-Mate reference gave me the warm fuzzies though, it really does seems like a lifetime ago now!

T.

p.s. Good to see the A(n)dycarter bot still checks in occasionally too!