UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What if...?

MisterPL

After coming across an article about the time Matt Murdock became an agent of SHIELD, I was thinking about an assortment based on Marvel's "What if...?" title. Some of the costume variants are a little confusing (Daredevil's was purple and yellow on the cover but purple and blue in the pages). But even Wolverine was an agent of SHIELD. So was Frank Castle. How about Peter Parker as the Punisher? Or Jane Foster as Thordis? Or The Watcher cosplaying Marilyn Monroe?!

It might be an interesting comic-based wave.

Before Disney we might have had a chance at an official DC/Marvel toy crossover. Licensing is the reason Amalgam Minimates would be more likely offered by Luke as customs.

12 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Are you stealing my social media plan?!? Lol I have been working on a series of what ifs... for Instagram!

Sorry! Looking at the costumes there are plenty that could probably be QCs but then I thought, hey, these are popular characters. Why not an official assortment?

9 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Unless there was a pretty identifying costume, I think a What If? themed set would be a hard sell. “This says its Spider-man but it looks like a secret agent?”

You mean like Spider-Man Noir, Joe Fixit Hulk, and "Patch" Wolverine?

The "What If...?" concept fits the Minimates mix & match play pattern perfectly. 

Do you mean interesting to retail buyers or end consumers (us)? Because it looks like retail buyers will stock anything with Marvel's most popular characters in the mix, even if they're ridiculously adorned and barely recognizable.

I mean, we've gotten two WWII Wolverines. Both are generic soldier bodies with Logan's noggin and popped bone claws. In this context it might as well be "What If GI Joe was a MUTANT?"

For the most part, I'd really only be into this idea if it enabled us to get more legitimate costumes. 
I'll buy a 'What If' Wolverine is he's packed with regular Cyber. I could take a SHIELD Daredevil, if we get a regular Typhoid Mary. etc... 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

What if... I hadn't?! ?

The big deal with these new Disney+ Marvel shows seems to be that they're coming directly from Marvel Studios, not ABC. IE - bigger budgets, no network constraints, obviously the same faces (and many voices) from the MCU.

I always like the "What if..." comics.  They were one off stories just to shake things up a little and I found them fun and harmless since they were, by definition, not canon.  Fan-boys thinking out loud, if you will.