UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buffy?

So DST's Twitter feed posted something I found interesting:

Random, right? What makes this interesting to me is that Zach mentioned that DST had reacquired a license recently, and I wonder if it might be Buffy. I've never been a fan myself, but it obviously has a still-devoted fanbase (plus a reboot in the works) and DST would be smart to get back into the Buffy business. I know they didn't do Minimates before, but I definitely think they'd be a strong seller now.

3 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

If the X-Files Minimates failed then there would be little mileage in this licence ....IMHO.

Buffy has a deeper lineup of characters though. Beyond Mulder and Scully, who is there that you really want? Plus Buffy still seems to sell merch. Not saying it's a slam dunk, but I don't think X-Files is a great comp.

I'll agree to disagree about my comp(arison?) between Buffy & X-Files ..........both shows were ground-breaking,popular & merchandise-heavyweights. If your saying that Buffy stuff still sells then OK I wasn't aware of that . X-Files merchandise still dribbles out as well but even X-Files nuts like myself realise that much of it is shite .

My thoughts on the existing X-files 'mates are over-documented so in essence I wouldn't want further ones ....that sounds either bitchy or honest ......whichever is basically where I stand on the matter. 

Buffy ? An absolute god-send for DST ,lots of black torsos,black pants & black leather jackets ....the occasional re-painted (red) leather jacket & several white hairpieces. Job-done.

I'm cynical aren't I ? That's because I've seen the X-files Minimates .

There are some custom Buffy Minimates that ......forgive me whose....often appear on this forum which are quite superb,I'd buy them (or similar) in a heartbeat but my heart (& my head) say 'keep away DST' ............unless you put your heart into this licence.

Ivan lists X-Files Palz in his MMDB . I yearn for the day when he posts pictures of them & then I'll answer your (hellpop) question about which X-Files characters I'd really want Minimated .....& I'd start off with a 'Grey' ..........who wouldn't want a 'Grey' (alien) Minimate ??  How many movies feature a version of it?

As someone who watched X-Files religiously, I'd have no problem coming up with a wishlist of recurring characters to complement Scully & Mulder as well as variants of the leads. Hell, Frank Black got his own show! If we ever get a clean Bishop in the Alien line, I'm buying an extra 'mate just to customize for my X-Files collection. 

Let’s face it DST desperately needs new licenses to replace long term ones that have run their course (NBX, Predator, Aliens)

Buffy has a following and the designs are easy to make figures/minimates for it. Also, 90s nostalgia is in now and talk of a reboot/sequel have people thinking about it again. 

I'd agree that Predator is running out of steam but the new movie could bring in more interest. I don't collect NBX but from what I've seen DST is doing a very good job of milking it. Alien has been harvesting largely from the first two films and only recently tapped into the other four as well as the Alien: Isolation video game. I'd argue there are a few more assortments left in that line.

DST does need to continue looking at properties like Buffy. However, they also need to make sure their execution meets expectations and that they can keep the momentum going so collectors don't lose interest. That's a standard for any ongoing line.

I've long thought that one of DST's biggest blindspots is in identifying properties that have remained prominent in geek culture after their peak. Sometimes they get it right (NBX, Ghostbusters) and sometimes they don't (View Askew, Kill Bill). X-Files was a worthy attempt but ultimately not something that has a whole lot of cultural cachet any more (just look at how quietly the last two tv miniseasons came and went). Buffy still does; the fan community is still very active, merch still sells, and you still see Buffy cosplayers.

To be fair, it's not like DST can just pick and choose what to make and not what to make. But I've seen Chuck dismiss things like Buffy, and Firefly, and Harry freaking Potter as being "past their time", which is just kinda nuts. I dunno, this stuff is hard and when you are small you don't have the wiggle room to miss quite like, say, Funko.

Of course, this is all more or less my own opinion. I would have thought Muppets and Spongebob would have been big hits, and they clearly were not. And I never would have thought they'd get anywhere near as much milage out of Predator as they have. I was right about View Askew though!

On 8/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, buttheadsmate said:

If the X-Files Minimates failed then there would be little mileage in this licence ....IMHO.

I hate to disagree but Buffy has been a consistent IP goldmine that continues on. It probably has been helped that Joss is still involved, the feminist movement/lgbtq community and think pieces around Buffy, SMG doing shout outs almost weekly and that Alyson Hannigan/David B diverse fan base since they have been on TV consistently since Buffy/Angel went off the air. It’s far more in the zeitgeist than X-Files. Although I think the news around a renewed license will be Watchmen due to HBO.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 3:29 AM, buttheadsmate said:

Ivan lists X-Files Palz in his MMDB . I yearn for the day when he posts pictures of them & then I'll answer your (hellpop) question about which X-Files characters I'd really want Minimated .....& I'd start off with a 'Grey' ..........who wouldn't want a 'Grey' (alien) Minimate ??  How many movies feature a version of it?

What, like this?

fig1013flg.jpg

Sorry, I'm denying everything. :)

Edited by Ivan
Improved punctuation. Put commas everywhere!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...