UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Another eBay gripe

Polarboy

Why oh why do some sellers bother with the best offer option?

I realise this is nothing worth getting upset over, but people genuinely baffle me. Who knows maybe I'm missing something. Case in point a recent lot was priced at $20 or best offer so I put in an offer of $15 and it was declined. This is fine and all but no counter offer was given so I don't even know If I'm in the same ball park (and the seller has the option of placing a reserve so silly offers can be dealt with straight away). Anyway put in a new offer of $17 and this time received a counter offer of $19.60. Am I the only one that thinks if you want or need the $20 for some reason just don't bother with the god damm best offer option.

Ahh sometimes its good to rant lol

36 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Why oh why do some sellers bother with the best offer option?

I realise this is nothing worth getting upset over, but people genuinely baffle me. Who knows maybe I'm missing something. Case in point a recent lot was priced at $20 or best offer so I put in an offer of $15 and it was declined. This is fine and all but no counter offer was given so I don't even know If I'm in the same ball park (and the seller has the option of placing a reserve so silly offers can be dealt with straight away). Anyway put in a new offer of $17 and this time received a counter offer of $19.60. Am I the only one that thinks if you want or need the $20 for some reason just don't bother with the god damm best offer option.

Ahh sometimes its good to rant lol

I’m with you on that. If the seller counters with less than a dollar reduction, I will decline and write off the auction entirely. Seems like a pointless thing to do if that’s all they’re going to offer.

Yup. I’ve been watching a specific auction that started at 28.99 for a single pack of minimates. I offered 18.00, a fair price for a brand new 2 pack. It’s about 10.00 more than they paid in store.  I got a counter offer of 27.00. I decided to be a prick, I offered 15.00. They declined straight away. I’ve since watched the auction be discounted several times, and now it’s around 25.00. 

I was selling a Ring Doorbell that I had bought for around 200. I was asking 175. It was not sealed; however, it had never been used. I opened the box, compared it to where my current doorbell was and saw that it was too big to fit. I tried to sell it on a neighborhood website and someone offered me $100. I felt insulted. I politely declined, and they proceeded to berate me and tell me i’d NEVER get $175. And they told me when no one bought my doorbell, they’d still be there to buy it for $100. Long story short, I sold it for $175.

I said all that to say, I understand someone can feel insulted or upset when they get a lower offer than what they feel they “deserve.” I don’t understand why someone would use OBO, and not budge on the price but a dollar. Pisses me off,  and makes me avoid all of their auctions all together. 

THANK YOU.

Any time I do as a seller, I set my "auto-decline" significantly less than my asking price, and when I get an offer, I'm willing to wiggle, depending on the two different amounts.

But the last two listings I attempted to make offers on, one dude would only go down 40 cents from his $30 asking price while I was offering $25, $26, $27, and the other guy barely went down a dollar.

I was searching for the Star Wars 3-pack from SDCC this year and someone had OBO with a $62 starting bid and free shipping. I offered $55 to get things started and they countered with $62 saying that because they were offering free shipping, they didn’t feel like going below $62. I countered with $61 and they declined.

I got an eBay coupon and ended up paying $55 with a BIN from a different seller yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to play Devil's Advocate...  I sell on eBay occasionally and they are always changing up the form to sell an item.  Sometimes mine have Best Offer buttons when I didn't intend for them to.  Then I receive an offer and realize what happened and have to revise the listing.

In regard to the stories above, yes.  I have had all those things happen to me as a buyer and it's frustrating.  With the outrageous eBay and PayPal fees, I usually don't add a Best Offer option.  People either wanna buy your item for next to nothing or haggle over a buck or two.  No thanks.