UA-100768763-1 Jump to content
Dave

wave 77

I’m just wondering why there never seems to be any news about new Minimates anymore. I make sure me feel like it’s 2006 again... :(

Probably just in time for DST to announce they are the new home for comic minimates and a bunch of other stuff. There are definitely too many Gamestops and they'd be better off closing some. 

Not good when the biggest buyer goes out of business, the next biggest buyer is a drug store, most comic shops dropped minimates due to sales decreasing from TRU overlap and now Gamestop troubles.

Hopefully, DST was able to get into Target or starts embracing online/direct to consumer sales. There's really no other good avenues left.

Edited by fwoosheyman

GameStop isn't the only chain that's struggled due to downloading. FYE has had to diversify quite a bit to stay in the business and now they're the number one retailer for Funko Pop figures. 

GameStop has probably been watching that model and wants to mirror its success. With a lot of luck they could become the number one retailer for Minimates!

Unless the future of comic waves or displaced TRU waves resides in a big box retailer like Walmart or Target, with comparable shelf space to TRU, then I’d rather not have to chase down minimates at a small place such as Gamestop or Hot Topic with barely 1-2 pegs worth of space allotted. Walgreens has hit their wall and has become frustrating enough for most of us. I really don’t want feel that at multiple places.

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

GameStop isn't the only chain that's struggled due to downloading. FYE has had to diversify quite a bit to stay in the business and now they're the number one retailer for Funko Pop figures. 

GameStop has probably been watching that model and wants to mirror its success. With a lot of luck they could become the number one retailer for Minimates!

I used to manage and FYE many years ago (almost 20 at this point; man am I old now) and they are almost recognizable. Granted the music industry completely collapsed after I got out, but now those stores are basically pop culture merchandisers with a little bit of music in the back.

6 minutes ago, hellpop said:

I used to manage and FYE many years ago (almost 20 at this point; man am I old now) and they are almost recognizable. Granted the music industry completely collapsed after I got out, but now those stores are basically pop culture merchandisers with a little bit of music in the back.

I worked at Wall to Wall Sound and Video one summer when I got out of college and, yeah, it's changed quite a bit since those days. It's funny that FYE has quite an inventory of vinyl, both in music and in collectible figures.

Any of these:

Earth’s Mightiest Minimates

Yellowjacket / Wasp

Captain America / Moondragon

Hellcat / Scarlet Witch

Beast / Wonder Man

BaM: Jocasta

West Coast Avengers vs. Wrecking Crew

Hawkeye vs. Thunderball

Mockingbird vs. Piledriver

Silver Centurion Iron Man vs. Bulldozer

Firebird vs. Wrecker

Classic Guardians of the Galaxy

Yondu / Charlie-27

Starhawk / Korvac

Nikki / Martinex

Vance Astro / Aleta Ogard

Avengers/Defenders War

Vision / Silver Surfer

Valkyrie / Loki

Doctor Strange / Iron Man

Mantis / Swordsman

BaM: Dormammu

Jack Kirby Thor Wave

Thor / Ulik

Enchantress / Executioner

Mangog / The Destroyer

Odin / Hela

BaM: Lady Sif

Avengers Under Siege

Captain America vs. Baron Zemo

Hercules vs. Grey Gargoyle

Captain Marvel (Photon) vs. Goliath

Wasp vs. Moonstone

BaM: Jarvis

Any of those would be stellar, especially Earth’s Mightiest and Under Siege. I’d love wave 77 to be classic Avengers themed.

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

My heart wants it to be some kind of general, classic Marvel Universe wave with some weirdos mixed in with the standards (I'm holding out for a Spider-Man/Boomerang pack), but my head tells me it'll probably be a Dark Phoenix wave to tie in with the movie; Something with a Cyke, Dark Phoenix, Xavier, Lliandra, Gladiator, and Wolverine.

Fingers crossed for heart over head.

Don't speak ill of Kallark.

It might be hard to tie into a movie that keeps getting delayed.

Oh, I don’t speak ill of Kallark. Funkguerrilla’s head said that we’d be getting a Dark Phoenix wave, which I’d be in favor of if it means we get the Gladiator. Heck, I’d even take a Melvin Potter Gladiator. 

Edited by Freaqualizer

A Melvin Potter Gladiator, now you're talking!

I'll pass on the message @Freaqualizer, but I warn you my heart can really hold a grudge.  It still gets riled about the untimely cancelation of Slingers.

I really would like more Daredevil folks. Ikari, the Owl, Melvin Potter, Blindspot, Typhoid Mary, Mister Fear, Muse. More Daredevil, please!

A Dark Phoenix Saga would also be a great choice in my opinion, even if the movie’s in some kind of limbo. I’d say Dark Phoenix and White Queen are two of the most needed redos in the line, and it’d be good to see some of the bigger Shi’Ar characters.

For a Dark Phoenix assortment I'd want to see 

Dark Phoenix / Cyclops

Fang Wolverine / Gladiator

Sebastian Shaw / Emma Frost

Professor X / Lilandra 

BaM: Shadowcat

10 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

Oh, I don’t speak ill of Kallark. Funkguerrilla’s head said that we’d be getting a Dark Phoenix wave, which I’d be in favor of if it means we get the Gladiator. Heck, I’d even take a Melvin Potter Gladiator. 

Ah, that's what I get for reading too fast. Just looking out for the guy, his confidence is so fragile. Now you've got me thinking about my most wanted pack: Gladiator/Gladiator.

Whatever the theme ends up being I hope the wave is out well before the current (as of today anyway) June 7th release date for Dark Phoenix.

11 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

I really would like more Daredevil folks. Ikari, the Owl, Melvin Potter, Blindspot, Typhoid Mary, Mister Fear, Muse. More Daredevil, please!

original look typhoid mary please!  i wish the recent ML figure wasn't so darn bland.  i'd like a red three-piece suit look matt murdock w/ inter changeable "i'm not daredevil" sweater

11 hours ago, Freaqualizer said:

Amen to that. Daredevil deserves a dedicated assortment. Throw in Foggy as a Build-A-Figure.