Dave

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

That Miles? Shoulda been Vermin. Woulda been perfect. 

Oooh, that would have been perfect. Nice idea.

Outside of the lame Miles and lack of legs for Hydro-Man i think this wave turned out great. Prowler and Molten Man are perfect. I love the non flame hands and feet for MM, thats a nice option for those that don't want to use the flames. Even though I'm not a fan of the BAF concept I really like the Spider Slayer too. Just enough details in the right places to make it work and the size is dead-on too. I really like the finished product. He was a pain to put together though, had to run the legs under warm water to get them to pop on to the t-crotch.

As someone that was completely happy with the original versions, the Kraven and Vulture updates are far superior imo. I'll be making the switch on the display for both of them. Original Vulture will get a hood and become the Drago version.

Not sure what I'm going to do with Mysterio. Even though the new cape lacks the inner detailing of the old one I think I like the new one better. However, I like the old clear helmet better than the new silver one. With the new one being one solid piece it's an all or nothing scenario. Either way it's another nice figure from this wave.

Overall I'm very happy with this assortment and i hope we get more like it.

On 7/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, Ronan The Accuser said:

. However, I like the old clear helmet better than the new silver one. With the new one being one solid piece it's an all or nothing scenario

You can't plug a head into the old ones body with the cape on any way, so it's all or nothing on that one also. Also the new cape does have the detailing in it

Edited by Heinous

Got these figures the other day, and I echo everyone else by being really happy with this wave. I know Chuck's a Spider-Man fan, and it always seems like they go the extra mile with Spidey waves. Some thoughts:

-the original Mysterio is one of my all-time favorites, and still holds up well today. This one doesn't really improve on that one, or the second one, whose color scheme it matches. But still, a great figure. I'm surprised DST decided to make a new cape/helmet piece rather than reusing the old one, since it doesn't seem to me like they will have much cause to use it again. Makes me wonder if DST originally had planned to make Far From Home Minimates, and they were scrapped somewhere along the way after the new cape piece was tooled.

-Vulture is very nice. My one quibble: I wish they'd made him Blackie Drago, or at least included a second head.

-Kraven is perfect. Again I'm surprised at the new lionmane chestpiece, but wow is it amazing. Stellar work by the whole design team. My one quibble: in the story they are referencing with this set, Kraven doesn't wear pants! So I grabbed some bare legs and an extra loin cloth to make him more comics accurate.

-The Spider-Man rising from the grave figure is so clever; I love when DST does stuff like this. Really shows how versatile the Minimate figure is.

-Molten Man is a fine version of a rather dull character. Paint apps are great (presumably thanks to Boyd or Lobsterman).

-I may be the only one, but now that I have him in hand I think I actually like the Miles figure? Don't get me wrong, he's no Spider-Ham, but he's not a complete disaster either.

-Prowler is cool. I finished a Prowler custom (I think) the day before they announced this one, so I'm a little salty about it. But he's cool.

-Finally, I think my favorite figure is the BAF. The Spider-Slayer turned out great, and is I think a perfect use of the BAF (much better choice then the first two). I love the little JJJ screen head. In fact, I like him so much I'll probably throw together a Spencer Smythe quick custom to accompany him.

I finally managed to pick up a set of these and must say this is the best set ive got in a long time, designs are nice, accessories are great, quality control was fantastic,  and even though most are new versions of ones we already have they seem fresh and new  GREAT JOB DST!

On 7/8/2019 at 9:59 PM, Heinous said:

Also the new cape does have the detailing in it

No, I'm not seeing it at all.

The original had a slight detail pattern on the inside, the new one does not. Are we talking about the same thing?

I can't stop admiring this set. Seven villains/antagonists in one wave, that's got to be a record! I haven't even added these in with my other Spidey villains yet... I've got them by my desk in their own group. I'll keep them there for a bit.

I got these from Luke earlier in the week and finally had a chance to open them. A few thoughts:

Spider-Man: This is the kind of figure that makes minimates unique. There really wasn't much room for improvement on this version of Spider-Man so recreating a well-known scene was a great idea. The figure itself is well done too with nice detailing, the only drawback being the hole in the head.

Kraven: Kraven needed an update and this figure does that wonderfully. The sculpted vest is fantastic and the belt surprisingly improves on the last version with sculpted spikes. The knife and spear are excellent weapons and appropriate for the character. I like the face print, comparing it to the old shows how dated that one is, but with Kraven's Last Hunt in mind I think an alternate head with a more crazed expression would have been appropriate.

Prowler: This isn't a character I'm very familiar with despite being aware of but I think DST's done a good job capturing him. The costume is pretty simple so the tampo work is also simple but effective. The mask looks good, it would have been easy for that too get a little disproportionate. The clawed hands and gauntlets complete the look. He's a nice addition to the Spider-Man shelf.

Miles: Sometimes I wonder if I'm being too hard on DST for odd character choices, then they go and make Miles in this costume. I just don't care enough to look and see if it's an accurate rendering. What a waste.

Mysterio: Speaking of a waste, Mysterio is disappointing because he's worse than the last update of the figure. To be fair I suppose the boot detailing is better, howerver the cape/head combo is definitely not as good as the last figure and the metallic paint seems like a lame way to make him look a little more like the movie version. The effects stand is nice and the foot pegs actually fit so he can stay on it which is a bit of a rarity.

Hydro-Man: I wanted a Hydro-Man update as much as anyone so I've really been looking forward to this figure. Unfortunately I think it's just okay. The face print is excellent. The hair is obviously taken from the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #315 which is kind of an extreme look. It's also orange, which is probably accurate to that cover but not most of the character's appearances, but since DST made his hair orange last time I think they're convinced that's the right color. The water stand is sculpted well and stands up with no problems. His left water arm is a good idea, making it so straight though leaves him looking more like he's cheering than punching. The black sleeve is also noticeably glossier than the torso. The splash around his right hand is a little underwhelming, replacing it with a water hand from the last figure might help that out. As has been mentioned, he doesn't come with legs. I think the lack of extras forced by the BAF really hurt this figure. Legs and another water piece or two (check out the figure Hasbro just released) would have made this a great figure, as is it's definitely an upgrade (of course the other figure is 12 years old) but not as good as it could be.

Vulture: I'd be more impressed with this figure if I hadn't bought the nearly identical previous version 9 years ago. Obviously the plastic quality, colors, and printing are improved so I can display it without being annoyed. The body tampo is different and slightly more detailed than the previous version and we have another excellent face. This is another figure that really would have benefited from extra accessories, an alternate Blackie Drago head like others have mentioned would have really helped this figure out.

Molten Man: This figure does a nice job of capturing the comic look of the character. I appreciate the addition of the flame pieces, I just wish they were a little more orange so they stood out more from gold body of the figure.

Spider-Slayer: I'm not sure this is an exact match for any particular Spider-Slayer though it does a good job representing a classic look. I find the Sentinel gloves distracting without tentacles. I can't help but love the JJJ head. I like the figure, I probably would have traded it for extra accessories for the other figures, or dumped Miles and swapped it into that slot.

Overall, I want to love this wave since it has so many villains and minor characters, unfortunately there's only one pack that I think is great, a couple of figures that fall a little flat, and one outright wasted slot. It does help fill a Spider-Man display in a satisfying way so I guess it's a good wave, it's just a little disappointing for me personally.

1 hour ago, stack32 said:

Spider-Man: The figure itself is well done too with nice detailing, the only drawback being the hole in the head..

Spider-Slayer: I'm not sure this is an exact match for any particular Spider-Slayer though it does a good job representing a classic look.

We all have at least one symbiote spidey I'm sure, I'm displaying him with the dirt on. And the spider slayer is pretty spot on for the mark 2 version 

Finally have these in hand and I’m gonna list some stuff

1. Spider Slayer is adorable and absolutely worth getting the wave in full for

2. Miles really is kinda a dud  figure. He and Hydro Man’s lack of limbs keep the wave from being maybe my all time favorite as a unit.  ?

3. I love that if you take off Mysterio’s head/cape combo it balances on its own and makes for a cool spooky disembodied head thing. 

4. Kraven’s Last Hunt pack is godly. 

• 4 weeks later...