UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 77

Dave

11 hours ago, hellpop said:

I also wonder how sustainable that model is, since lots of those figures end up selling at bargain prices (just take a look at Amazon if you don't believe me). But the economics for DST and Hasbro are completely different, and I don't know if you can really compare the two. Hasbro is able to get away with releasing so many pegwarmers because they are Hasbro, and DST simply can't afford to make those kind of mistakes.

I thought Hasbro would have had to change their model two years ago for that very reason, but I guess somehow it's working despite all the heavily discounted figures and horrible distribution. I don't think DST can do the same thing (though a lot of Hasbro's choices aren't that weird, it's not all Poison and Spider-Ham) but it is interesting to compare and contrast the different approaches to similar (though notably different) product. I do like Hasbro hitting the major properties regularly and the general sense they're trying to serve everyone. Maybe they have more people involved in the character selection process? I guess I just find this stuff fascinating.

5 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Season 3 of Daredevil hits in 1Q 2019 I believe. I'd be up for a comic-based companion assortment.

I think you could do a compelling Daredevil, or street level, assortment but since we just had something like that in 75 it seems unlikely.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a little something mystical I thought of:

Dr. Strange (Modern Black & Red or Classic) & Baron Mordo

Brother Voodoo & Dormammu

Clea & Mindless One

Nightmare & Mindless One

Build-A-Figure: The Ancient One

Although I see them doing this near a Dr. Strange 2 film.

Everybody has a right to speculate & I mean no offence by absolutely disagreeing with you RedTiger because IMHO the 'damage' has been done .

The wave you suggest would perhaps be on my wish-list almost character for character BUT another Doctor Strange Minimate albeit another comic version will surely flounder in the sea of dull Doctor Strange Minimates. I'm a completist but even I have to wonder who is going to buy the Walgreens AIW  pack version that is nigh on identical to the previous movie version?

Someone who wants Thor? But you're right, that minimate needed something else, like Time Stone effects pieces, to be really worthwhile.

I think with TRU closing DST might want to play it safe with this wave and try to do something that would appeal to more fans, possibly even people who don't usually buy minimates. The first lineup that occurs to me that would check those boxes is 90's X-Men. I'm not sure what an equivalent Avengers wave would look like.

4 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

Everybody has a right to speculate & I mean no offence by absolutely disagreeing with you RedTiger because IMHO the 'damage' has been done .

The wave you suggest would perhaps be on my wish-list almost character for character BUT another Doctor Strange Minimate albeit another comic version will surely flounder in the sea of dull Doctor Strange Minimates. I'm a completist but even I have to wonder who is going to buy the Walgreens AIW  pack version that is nigh on identical to the previous movie version?

Some kid that just got into minimates after watching infinity war? Also maybe a new Dr strange would be unwelcome, but I think the majority of us would love a Baron mordo in his classic attire. Isn't that the nature of the beast with minimates? Buy A-listers over and over? 

28 minutes ago, stack32 said:

The nature of the beast isn't usually buying near re-releases.

Not only that but DST generally doesn't like to repeat the same figure, preferring to retire them in favor of another version. This Doctor Strange should have come with crossed legs and a cape that acts as a stand to simulate levitation.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:59 PM, OvenproofBug6 said:

As a more modern X-fan I would really enjoy updates to the New X-Men or Astonishing X-Men teams along with some key villains that have never been made. A theoretical Astonishing X-Men wave:

Colossus & Ord of Breakworld

Kitty Pryde (w/ extra parts for Armor) & Cassandra Nova

Beast & Danger

Emma Frost & Cyclops (w/ old New X-Men jacket, and extra head w/ de-powered eyes)

Build-A-Figure: Agent Brand of S.W.O.R.D.

*Note: didn't include Wolverine because the MvC3 version of the character is already a great representation of this costume

I would love an astonishing update.   Especially for Cyclops and Kitty.

I'd say the Infinity War Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, and Black Panther were just as much reissues as Doctor Strange. I can understand the reasoning behind the Guardians and Strange, though, since their previous versions weren't at Walgreens.

And we already have a couple of classic comic Stranges, but I wouldn't mind one that I didn't have to get on the aftermarket in a box set I otherwise have no interest in.

3 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I'd say the Infinity War Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, and Black Panther were just as much reissues as Doctor Strange. I can understand the reasoning behind the Guardians and Strange, though, since their previous versions weren't at Walgreens.

And we already have a couple of classic comic Stranges, but I wouldn't mind one that I didn't have to get on the aftermarket in a box set I otherwise have no interest in.

I really had heart for the ToyBiz version that could float because of the cape. I’d buy another Strange if there was a legs crossed piece.

4 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

Luke had those strange tales box sets on his site for a while a few months ago, pretty cheap too. I think they were $22

Edited by Heinous

On 6/13/2018 at 11:07 AM, CortherX said:

or maybe wave 77 will be tru wave 26?

I was thinking this might be an option, too.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:28 AM, Ronan The Accuser said:

I'd like to see something classic, hero or villain. Attuma would be nice. Jack of Hearts would be cool too.

I've just been playing Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 again, so I'd love an Attuma minimate. There are also some really cool minifigure designs for The Presence, Wiccan, and Hulkling, which i wouldn't mind seeing as Minimates.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:09 AM, MisterPL said:

Not only that but DST generally doesn't like to repeat the same figure, preferring to retire them in favor of another version. This Doctor Strange should have come with crossed legs and a cape that acts as a stand to simulate levitation.

And green spell effects! 

Have we heard any grumblings for SDCC? I weirdly imagine that this year’s announcements will be at NYCC as it may be too soon for announcements. My heart hurts for all of the toy industry as I am sure they all have been turned on their ear trying to figure out holiday 2018. Most of that will have to be in store by October so not much time left. 

On 6/13/2018 at 9:32 AM, stack32 said:

I would think they would have been working on 77 before the TRU closure announcement because of the lead time involved, I can imagine that making DST want to reevaluate things though.

Well, we were working on other TRU waves, but not necessarily 77. Not sure we have pinned 77 down fully yet. BUT there were TRU waves, so maybe those can be repurposed. I would like to see them repurposed. You may start to see more Marvel at other chains, also.

18 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

Well, we were working on other TRU waves, but not necessarily 77. Not sure we have pinned 77 down fully yet. BUT there were TRU waves, so maybe those can be repurposed. I would like to see them repurposed. You may start to see more Marvel at other chains, also.

Could we see a return to Walmart like in the good old days? That's where I got my first ever set! 

On 6/14/2018 at 9:37 PM, CortherX said:

@Joe Hill those Buffymates in your signature are rad. i still have all my old Buffy palz and was so bummed when the 3rd wave was cancelled.

Thanks! The Buffy Palz line was great, I wish Palisades Toys would have lasted longer.

I would also love a Dr. Strange crossed legs/levitation cape minimate.  It would make it different from the rest.

Edited by Joe Hill

1 hour ago, Joe Hill said:

Thanks! The Buffy Palz line was great, I wish Palisades Toys would have lasted longer.

I would also love a Dr. Strange crossed legs/levitation cape minimate.  It would make it different from the rest.

Same. I love your Buffy Mates and also have been making my own with their accessories.