wave 77

Dave

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a more modern X-fan I would really enjoy updates to the New X-Men or Astonishing X-Men teams along with some key villains that have never been made. A theoretical Astonishing X-Men wave:

Colossus & Ord of Breakworld

Kitty Pryde (w/ extra parts for Armor) & Cassandra Nova

Beast & Danger

Emma Frost & Cyclops (w/ old New X-Men jacket, and extra head w/ de-powered eyes)

Build-A-Figure: Agent Brand of S.W.O.R.D.

*Note: didn't include Wolverine because the MvC3 version of the character is already a great representation of this costume

I don’t really have speculation, just some hopes. I hope we get some Thor stuff. I know we had a Ragnarok wave, but I want Ulik. And definitely the Warriors Three and the Wrecking Crew. I’d take a War Thor. 

I’d also like to see a random 90s wave. A Deathlok and an updated Firestar to match the  Maximum Carnage wave. Cardiac and Nightwatch. Sleepwalker and Slapstick. Some New Warriors. Darkhawk and Tombstone. 

I honestly just want another Iron Man Wave. It's been, what, 40 Waves, since the first, and last, comic based one?

Infamous Iron Man (with a healed Victor Von Doom head and hair) / Controller (Modern)

Ghost (Thunderbolts Look) / Black Widow II (Thunderbolts Look-with an extra Nat head and hair)

Zeke Stane (Fraction's Run) / AIM Scientist (with Alt-Look extras)

Iron Monger (Classic Armor; Disco Obadiah Underneath) / AIM Scientist (with Alt-Look extras)

MODOK Superior as the BAF.

-

I even made a collage!

ofCvd3f.jpg

21 hours ago, OvenproofBug6 said:

*Note: didn't include Wolverine because the MvC3 version of the character is already a great representation of this costume

It's an excellent minimate of the Avengers version of the costume but the boots and gloves are wrong compared to Cassday's art. If they did a wave like this, which I would definitely buy, I'd want Wolverine included. Not that it's likely they'd leave him out.

The only prediction I would make is that it's not going to be Guardians of the Galaxy or 90's X-Factor, though I would like those very much.

An Astonishing X-Men wave would be pretty great, but I'd definitely want Wolverine over Cassandra Nova or Ord.

I'm not very familiar with modern Iron Man comics, but classic Iron Monger and new AIMs would be nice to see. I wouldn't say no to more Thunderbolts characters, either, even if it's not my favourite era of the team.

7 hours ago, AFMcGill said:

Probably some modern dreck to go with that Marvel Rising cartoon.

That's a good guess. I was leaning toward something tying into the other new Marvel content like Legion, Runaways, X-Force, or New Mutants.

If the Fox acquisition goes through we might see another Fantastic Four assortment.

17 hours ago, stack32 said:

It's an excellent minimate of the Avengers version of the costume but the boots and gloves are wrong compared to Cassday's art. If they did a wave like this, which I would definitely buy, I'd want Wolverine included. Not that it's likely they'd leave him out.

Agreed, it's very unlikely we get any X-Men wave without a Wolverine if he was on the team. But I can see what you're saying now, he might even benefit from a shorter mask as well.

8 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

An Astonishing X-Men wave would be pretty great, but I'd definitely want Wolverine over Cassandra Nova or Ord.

Cassandra Nova might lend herself better to a New X-Men wave since that's when she first appeared.

This discussion makes me a little envious of Marvel Legends collectors. Hasbro has done an excellent job the past five years alternating among different parts of the Marvel Universe that no matter what you're into you're likely to be interested in a few figures over the course of a year and just about anything seems possible. MCU, Netflix, Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and even Cosmic characters are all in the mix. I don't want to make it sound like DST has done a bad job on that front at all, I've just found myself more consistently impressed with many of the ML lineups. That's probably biased because they've made excellent figures of a few characters I'm very interested in that DST hasn't, and doesn't seem likely to. Of course DST has also made a number of excellent minimates that don't have MLs.

Marvel Legends has definitely been firing on all cylinders lately, but that's  really only because Minimates went there first. Minimates had the character selection well before legends. Plus, Legends often hold you over the barrel with their build a figures. If I want the new Thunderbolts Venom, I have to buy 3 twenty-dollar figures I don't want, making him a 60 dollar figure. Even if Daisy Johnson had been the only character I was interested in in the latest Minimates line, she still only would have cost me $40, tops.

I doubt minimates influenced ML much, and considering the price difference for each figure I think the BAF prices are okay (though so far ML BAFs are a bigger draw), but I think I rambled on and didn't make my point. Right now if you're a Spider-Man fan you know you will get at least a wave of MLs each year. Same for Avengers and X-Men fans. Even cosmic fans can expect to see a few characters when a GotG movie comes out. I think that kind of predictability is a great thing for fans.

That's a good point with the ML envy, they've been making a lot of characters I'd like to see as minimates. I'd say, though, that ML also has an advantage with the sheer amount of product they're putting out. It's easier to touch more corners of the Marvel universe when you release around a hundred figures a year.

I sold off all of my old Toy Biz Marvel Legends and got into Minimates a looooong time ago. I just recently decided to start collecting the newer Hasbro Marvel Legends and I think I might sell them off again.  The character selection is great and I never really have any issues finding what I'm looking for but the bigger figures tend to be very flimsy and I'm not a huge fan of the weird shoulder joints on some of my favorite characters (Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc.)

Edited by MisterMiracle

I also wonder how sustainable that model is, since lots of those figures end up selling at bargain prices (just take a look at Amazon if you don't believe me). But the economics for DST and Hasbro are completely different, and I don't know if you can really compare the two. Hasbro is able to get away with releasing so many pegwarmers because they are Hasbro, and DST simply can't afford to make those kind of mistakes.

I like the approach DST has taken to some recent waves of basing them around stories with lots of characters in them. I'm surprised that they haven't gone this route with an Avengers wave, using a classic storyline like Under Siege or Operation:Galactic Storm as a way get out some cool new characters and mix in some old favorites.

I also think it's weird that they've never done comics Guardians. We've gotten numerous Star-Lords, but never a comics Star-Lord. I'd love to see an Annihilation wave (pun intended) including Star-Lord.  And of course I really want to see the classic original version of the team, if only because I expect they will just use Lobsterman's amazing customs as their designs.