UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Any more best of waves?

They haven't released a new best of/greatest hits wave in a long time. I am wondering if that is something they stopped doing. I would love too see it brought back, but specific to teams/superheroes. They could give us a best of Spiderman wave with Spidey, Vulture, Scorpion, Elektro, Kraven, etc. An X-men wave with the Jim Lee era X-men - one wave be the blue team, the second wave would be the gold team. Then do the same with Hulk, Avengers, etc. The only stipulation would be that they would have to be previously released mates, but they could be updated in terms of looks. Would anyone else be interested in that? Maybe 2 releases a year? That would help out the newer minimate  collectors immensely and save them money. 

Interested? Definitely, there are a lot of minimates that I would be willing to buy updates or slight variations of. I suspect this would be too much like a normal wave for DST to do it as a "Best Of" or whatever else they would call it.

On the topic of Best Of waves, for my fellow Brits the first wave can be found in B&M Bargains. Very strange location to find ‘mates at 

The intention of these Best of/Greatest Hits assortments is to have popular characters available for retailers to stock as needed to entice new collectors. Given the absence of the Fox properties, I'd expect any future assortments to include the Fantastic Four and X-Men staples.

Then again, it's most likely they'd be comic book variations of whatever happens to be in the movies like Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I honestly wouldn't mind comic versions of the Guardians. We haven't ever gotten comic versions of the Majority of them (and the two we do have, Drax & Gamora, are pretty far removed from their modern GotG looks)

Then again, they often change modern comic looks to be more and more in-line with the movies so... the difference between the two often begins to get blurred.

Still wouldn't mind some in the blue & red comic uniforms.

Wouldn't mind any new best of's though really. These were always some of my favorite minimates. Definitive looks in bright colors. Still my favorite versions of many of the characters.

No plans to make new Greatest HIts waves, as the current ones still fulfill the purpose they were made for. And we still have some cases of Series 1 and 2 in stock.

We may make more of the existing  waves when we run out, but I think you'll continue to see the same mix of popular characters and supporting characters in future waves. 75 had Greatest Hits mainstays like Power Man and Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, etc. 76 has Spidey, Venom, Carnage, a Goblin... I haven't seen anything for 77, but some of the cancelled TRU assortments may make the jump, and they're a nice mix, as well. 

Which versions of the comic Guardians would those be? The 2008 DnA team seems to be popular here, but Star-Lord, for example, isn't really recognisable as his movie counterpart.

I think if/when we get the comic GotG they're likely to be the same movie-inspired versions as the Marvel Selects, with a few villains and supporting characters mixed in.

As for a third Greatest Hits assortment, I think even without considering the returning Fantastic Four there's enough material for a wave:

Black Widow & War Machine (completes the founding MCU Avengers, longtime MCU Avenger who hasn't had a comic 'mate in a while)

Doctor Strange & Black Panther (MCU solo movies and have older or hard to find comic figures)

Black/Yellow Wasp & Ms. Marvel (new MCU hero and completes the founding comic Avengers, upcoming MCU solo movie)

90's Cyclops & Magneto (popular X-characters with expensive figures)

2 hours ago, stack32 said:

If the GotG weren't the 2008 versions then I wouldn't care if they were made at all.

DnA or bust.  We'll soon have three releases of the MCU team plus the animated versions.  The 2008 would be killer.

Dream list:

Starlord/Mantis

Rocket/Bug

Moondragon/Phyla Vell

Vance Astro/Jack Flag

BAF Groot

With Drax/Adam Warlock(with Magus head) and Gamora/Cosmo at Walgreens.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

DnA or bust.  We'll soon have three releases of the MCU team plus the animated versions.  The 2008 would be killer.

Dream list:

Starlord/Mantis

Rocket/Bug

Moondragon/Phyla Vell

Vance Astro/Jack Flag

BAF Groot

With Drax/Adam Warlock(with Magus head) and Gamora/Cosmo at Walgreens.

I did most the whole team, have to check my Instagram for better looks at everyone though . Phylla I have planned, I'm just lazy. Still looking for ideas for Drax rocket 

While I don't think the GotG are a good fit for a greatest hits type of assortment I can't help but be amazed that we can talk about them in that context and it's not completely insane. Things sure have changed in ten years.

15 hours ago, fwoosheyman said:

@MisterPL gets it. ⬆️

A comic guardians wave is desperately needed. We have one comic style guardian (Gamora) from long ago. DST made the whole team in more expensive Select form why can we not get them as minimates?

The Disney Store does not buy Minimates. They asked for those.

I don't think all the extraneous Guardians would be good for a best-of wave at all... I think there's an argument to be made for the core five being available regularly (Star-Lord, Groot, Rocket, Drax & Gamora)... I frankly don't even think you need to argue Star-Lord and Rocket being in a best-of at this point... as they've been making more and more and more multimedia appearances since the movies took of. And would only fill one two-pack.

I think comic Drax, Rocket and Groot are easily recognizable as the movie characters. They're more stylized cartoony versions, but they're still a racoon, a tree and a green shirtless guy w/ red tattoos. With Gamora I think it depends on which look... cape and sword Gamora is less recognizable as movie Gamora than some of her more modern battle-suit looks are.

I think Star-Lord is the biggest leap, and even then, I don't think Star-Lord's comic book look is WHOLLY unrecognizable. There are similarities in the mask, so it's easy to see one is adapted from the other. He's no more of a leap than "Yellow Spandex" Wolverine is to Hugh Jackman in any case. Packing him unmasked is also an option, if they went with a Chris-Pratty face. Just put the helmet or alt-head in the tray. In any event, as long as his package said "Star-Lord" I think the point would come across. Especially if you packed him with Rocket.

After bridging from the X-Men animated cartoon to comic books as a child, I didn't initially understand why Storm had a mohawk in a lot of the merchandise at my local shop... but I connected the dots quickly enough.

In any event, I'm not insisting they be a best-of, just chatting for chatting's sake. I think they'd make just as good a regular wave (and then we could put in a couple of the more extraneous ones too). I do think if we ever got a new best of wave... you could justify putting a few of them into it.

Maybe a third "Greatest Hits" assortment would feature the Phase II & III Avengers not offered in the first two assortments.

War Machine & Black Widow

Vision & Scarlet Witch

Falcon & Wasp

Black Panther & Doctor Strange

Super-Adaptoid BAF

I'm curious which of the current "Greatest Hits" SKUs sells best.

I was just about to pay some similar thinking.  The best of/greatest hits waves seem complete, but they are missing some of the more recent popularity surges and some holes from the earlier waves.

Starlord/Rocket

Invisible Woman/Human Torch

Black Widow/Doctor Strange

Thanos/Black Panther

I could see those as evergreen characters at this point.

23 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Maybe a third "Greatest Hits" assortment would feature the Phase II & III Avengers not offered in the first two assortments.

War Machine & Black Widow

Vision & Scarlet Witch

Falcon & Wasp

Black Panther & Doctor Strange

Super-Adaptoid BAF

I'm curious which of the current "Greatest Hits" SKUs sells best.

I feel like putting a Build-A-Figure in this line is contrary to its purpose. Furthermore Super-Adaptoid in no way fits the "All-Star" nature of the line at that.