UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Infinity War **SPOILERS**

THE_CRIPPLER

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread here so that people don't post about the movie in the Infinity War minimates thread. I went and saw it last night and loved it. Thanos was fantastic. It was nice to have a villain in a superhero movie who wasn't so one dimensional. Steppenwolf is the perfect example of a crappy one dimensional villain. Thanos had a reason for the things he did. It wasn't just to go around conquering planets. He actually though he was saving them in the long run. 

What were others thoughts on it? I loved the return of the Red Skull, and the banter between Stark and Strange when they first met was great also. At this point I am thinking the next Avenges movie is either going to deal with time travel, or someone will get the gauntlet from Thanos and reverse everything he did. I can see Star Lord being the one to do that if that is what they do.

Can you adjust the first post so there is a giant spoiler warning? Some people may just come across this as a registered discussing excitement over the movie and not having read the mate thread where you said you would make this thread for spoiler discussion.

4 hours ago, arnim zola said:

Can you adjust the first post so there is a giant spoiler warning? Some people may just come across this as a registered discussing excitement over the movie and not having read the mate thread where you said you would make this thread for spoiler discussion.

It says right in the title Spoilers.

1 hour ago, Gmonkey2k said:

Great movie, but I will be filing a lawsuit for unwarranted emotional assualt. 

Can we all agree that NONE of what happened at the end would have happened, if Star Lord wasn't a fucking idiot?

Unless, of course, the one scenario that leads to victory is Thanos thinking he’s won. I feel like all of them on Titan knew that half the universe was going to die right then and there. Hence Stark’s “Steady on, Quill” and Strange’s “it was the only way.” They didn’t know who on Titan would die aside from Tony surviving due to the deal made with Thanos but they knew he had to get the stones. It was a big crazy charade to make Thanos think that he had unquestionably won. 

Some people are comparing it to Empire Strikes Back due to the tone of the film, and I kinda agree with that. That was a pretty dark ending,

So did Dr. Strange inform Stark of the one scenario on how to beat Thanos before he died? I am going to assume so. I am just wondering who is all going to be in the Captain Marvel movie now? I was expecting to see cameos from the Guardians of the Galaxy, but that isn't going to happen now. Maybe Nova and Adam Warlock?

The ending of Empire Strikes Back is upbeat compared to this movie. Not that I think it's a problem. It's a bold choice and I hope the audience rewards them for it. Also, it's going to be really hard to follow up but after this movie I'm just going to assume the Russo Brothers can pull it off.

I think Strange is the only who knew the scenario to beat Thanos, that's how those scenes read to me anyway.

Being the most advanced civilization on Earth you would have thought Wakandans would have heard of artillery and air support.

Thanos was an amazing achievement, both technically and how he was written. It really is his movie. The only thing that undercuts him is that his motivation is Malthusian nonsense.

That post-credits scene could have used some explanation, I'm guessing a LOT of the audience is going to be completely confused.

Two more thoughts: First, I was surprised and delighted by Red Skull's cameo. I thought the idea that he'd been transported by the Tesseract was a reasonable fan theory but too far-fetched to ever show up in a movie. I was surprised by just how much character there was in that short scene. Second, the scene between Rocket and Thor ("What else do I have to lose?") was the best acting Chris Hemsworth has ever done and it makes Ragnarok a better movie.

Strange saw 14 million possible futures, and only one where they one. As mentioned, his last words to Tony were "It was the only way." Tony needed to survive naturally, and the rest of them, Strange included, needed to ash away to possibly another dimension. Sebastian Stan still has movies left in his contract, as well as they can't do DS2/BP2/SMHC2/GOTG3 without literally everyone who ashed away. And remember what Clint said in Civil War, "In order to win this, some of us might have to lose." Also, I thought it was interesting that the survivors were the original Avengers.

(Plus, Gunn has said he's going to do something with Gamora that not only contradicts her Nova Corps lineup rap sheet - which I don't see necessarily as a contradiction or retcon, as the police force could have just gotten some information wrong or unproven - but also makes her more than "just Quill's girlfriend," so she ain't gone, either. Gunn said "everyone will be in Vol. 3," and I doubt "everyone" is just Rocket & Nebula, lol. Source: all of Gunn's social media & interviews about Infinity War & Volume 3. Yes, directors have lied to protect twists & spoilers before, but Gunn has been pretty glib about Guardians thus far, and Rooker's Infinity War hat was an Avengers lie to protect the Guardians spoiler, not the other way around. I'm not letting my hopes make me delusional, it's just that he said those 5 characters' stories aren't done yet but will be in Vol 3, which makes the most logical sense.)

The only cameos reported so far for Captain Marvel will be Fury (with  both eyes), Coulson, Ronan, and Korath. It takes place during the 90s, so she's either frozen until present day, or her Kree powers keep her looking young, because otherwise they'll have to make Brie Larson look late 40s-early 50s when she shows up in present day, and I would hate that (not for any agist or sexist reason - just old age makeup rarely looks good, and they still haven't perfected the CG aging/de-aging, and it would be an unnecessary cost to CG her face for every future appearance). An alternate theory I heard for Nick's pager is that it didn't call Carol - it activate the unfreezing process (if that's indeed how she's going to stay young-looking). My money is still on the Kree powers keeping her from aging.

It's supposedly been reported (I don't have a source, sorry) that not only will CM factor heavily into Av4, but Ant-Man & Wasp will, as well (I liked that they acknowledged "Clint & Scott").

I loved the Black Order, but was expecting at least half of them to make it out of this. Yeah, they were somewhat of a challenge at first, but they were taken out kind of easily in the end. I really wanted to see Nebula fight Proxima Midnight.

I'm really curious to see what they do with Carol and how she'll factor in to the next movie. Feige repeated comments about her being "the most powerful hero in the MCU" has me a little concerned because it would make her ridiculously overpowered and that's a problem for later movies. Look at Vision here, they got really cheap with him so that he wasn't a threat and they sidelined Wanda for much of the movie for the same reason.

6 hours ago, THE_CRIPPLER said:

Some people are comparing it to Empire Strikes Back due to the tone of the film, and I kinda agree with that. That was a pretty dark ending,

So did Dr. Strange inform Stark of the one scenario on how to beat Thanos before he died? I am going to assume so. I am just wondering who is all going to be in the Captain Marvel movie now? I was expecting to see cameos from the Guardians of the Galaxy, but that isn't going to happen now. Maybe Nova and Adam Warlock?

But Captain Marvel is going to take place in the 90's.

Hence, the pager in the post credit scene.

just speculation on my part but Im thinking in 4 Tony remakes his suit with the help of the dwarf forge and incorporates the leftover original casting of the Gauntlet that we saw was still there, and this somehow plays into the Avengers via time travel or what have you re-acquiring the Infinity stones making Tony some kind of cosmic keeper of them and hence his big hero farewell to the MCU, Cap reforms and leads the Avengers, maybe in more of behind the scenes, less in the field type of way with someone else becoming Captain America?

Loved it. Just loved it. Not only was it a great culmination of ten years of movies, but it was an amazing tribute to Jim Starlin. Thanos was perfectly realized, and Brolin gave a really compelling performance. I'm so glad that they went ahead and let Thanos "win", even though we all know that the ending will be eventually undone. Every wrestling fan knows that you have to let the heel win sometimes to make the hero's eventual victory meaningful.

There's a lot of directions they can go in the next movie. I'm thinking a lot about the old Warlock comics from the 70s and the Infinity Gauntlet, and I have a few ideas, but for now I'm still processing all this. Can't wait 'til next year!

Really enjoyed it. Gonna see it again next weekend and try to look at it from Thanos’ perspective.

I liked seeing all the parallels to the original Infinity Gauntlet story and hope that they continue. I wonder, however, if they’ll make someone take up Mephisto’s role. That being said, I could see Red Skulletor doing it, but he seemed far too stoic and Watcher-esque to make the cut. 

In wondering how this all will close, I’m hoping that Strange takes up the Adam Warlock role as he seems to be the most cosmically knowledgeable out of all of them. Perhaps Cap and the original Avengers finds a way to take the Gauntlet with Captain Marvel’s help and after returning everyone from wherever they were sent to (I’m thinking maybe inside the Soulgem?) Strange pics up the Gauntlet and delivers the infamous “let the conflict end!” 

I thought the pacing was brilliant and everything flowed together. However, I should say that the final fight scene on Titan right before Thanos gets the time gem was a bit gratuitous. While it was neat seeing all those characters get together, if Strange knew that the only way they’d survive was if he gave Thanos the gem, I’d much ratherd a well put together argument between Quill, Strange and Stark than that huge beatemup. Also woulda shaved off about ten minutes, but I digress. 

At the end of the day, I loved it and can’t wait for the thrilling conclusion!

2 hours ago, NerdyTrev said:

I thought the pacing was brilliant and everything flowed together. However, I should say that the final fight scene on Titan right before Thanos gets the time gem was a bit gratuitous. While it was neat seeing all those characters get together, if Strange knew that the only way they’d survive was if he gave Thanos the gem, I’d much ratherd a well put together argument between Quill, Strange and Stark than that huge beatemup. Also woulda shaved off about ten minutes, but I digress. 

I think that it wasn’t just that Thanos had to get the Gem. Thanos had tog eat the Gem, believe that he won it fairly so he wouldn’t be suspicious of their motives, AND there had to be a bargain for Stark’s life. In any other scenario Stark would have died either from fighting or Gem Kill. 

I think for Strange’s plan to work all three of those had to happen. That’s why the fight went on so long. It had to be a pain in Thanos’s purple ass to get this thing. 

The only successful outcome out of 14 million has to be Cap and Iron Man fighting side-by-side, not at odds. Divided they fell, united they win.  Avengers Assembled! The originals are remaining, so it’s time for the band to get back together. And somebody please get that man HIS shield! Where is it? For some reason I think it has to factor in for the win.

I think the key to defeating Thanos is one of two things: Tony Stark being alive, and the Vision's mind being in tact when Thanos took the Mind Gem. I think those factors are what Strange saw in the one future where the Avengers win. Their fight with Thanos was never winnable; he was already too powerful. The only way to win was to set up Round 2. With Tony, I think he's the only one smart and creative enough to devise a way to beat Thanos. But ultimately, I think that Vision is going to be the key. They are setting him up to basically take the role Adam Warlock has played in Thanos' story, as a synthetic man wrestling with his place in the universe who is deeply connected to the Infinity Gems. In the original Thanos story, Warlock dies but his soul lives on within the Soul Gem (at that point the only Infinity Gem); at the end of the story, he appears as a fiery avatar of himself and turns Thanos to stone. I expect something similar to happen next movie. I think that, if Shuri had managed to detach the Vision from the Mind Gem, it actually would have been the worst thing possible, because I think that his consciousness has fundamentally reshaped the Mind Gem, and will allow him/it to resist Thanos. But we shall see I guess...

I do like that idea of Cap and Iron Man needed to fight together and put aside their differences being important to the story. If you notice, all the originals survived (including presumably Hawkeye), so I presume that this is the big finale for the first wave core Marvel heroes. Plus Captain Marvel I guess.

48 minutes ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to have liked it, but it was a fun movie.

Keeping the original Avengers around makes sense, but I'm more curious as to why War Machine, Rocket, and Nebula weren't turned to dust.

For practicality, well, Nebula is still there because presumably Tony will need someone to pilot the Guardians ship back to Earth(it should still be on Titan), plus she may have a bigger part if the original comic mini series is any indication. Rocket is their intergalactic space-tech connection and not to be too blunt, but killing War Machine and Black Panther would not be too PC.