UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Storyline themed holy grail

thereasonsy

On 12/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, TheMinimateKing30 said:

I understand Marvel wanting to use recasts in the context of flashbacks to earlier media (like the Incredible Hulk scenes in the third episode of What If... ?), but outright declaring those films non-canon in the sense of pure casting is taking the piss.

Is that Marvel's official stand or just Gao's opinion?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My read on it was that Gao was trying to poke holes in the notion of canon, fundamentally, by highlighting what she felt was hypocrisy. Definitely not an official Marvel Studios stance.

I don't think her point is relevant, the vagaries of casting have nothing to do with narrative continuity.

This isn't a storyline, but it would be really fun if we got some A-Z mates based on OHOTMU. DST could do some really creative things with the box art. 

Before they pivoted to 6-figure box sets, I had imagined this as four waves of three two-packs (e.g. "A-B", "C-D") plus an extra set to make 26 total mates. Now it could be four box sets of six each, capped off with an exclusive two-pack.

5lamtViu_0703202329471gpaiadd.jpg

3 hours ago, elhonez said:

This isn't a storyline, but it would be really fun if we got some A-Z mates based on OHOTMU. DST could do some really creative things with the box art. 

Before they pivoted to 6-figure box sets, I had imagined this as four waves of three two-packs (e.g. "A-B", "C-D") plus an extra set to make 26 total mates. Now it could be four box sets of six each, capped off with an exclusive two-pack.

This would be amazing! 

9 hours ago, elhonez said:

I second an awesome set like this!! OHOTMU mates could really open doors to the lesser and even well known mates.

That would be great but you're naively thinking it won't just be:

• Ant-Man,
  • Black Widow,
  • Captain America,
  • Daredevil,
  • Elektra,
  • Falcon,
  • Gwen Stacy,
  • Hulk,
  • Iron Man,
  • Jean Grey,
  • Kang,
  • Loki,
  • Magneto,
  • Nick Fury,
  • Odin,
  • Punisher,
  • Quicksilver,
  • Red Skull,
  • Spider-Man,
  • Thor,
  • Ultron,
  • Vision,
  • Wolverine,
  • X-23,
  • Yellowjacket,
  • Zemo

A total waste just to get another Kang and a better Yellowjacket.

I don't know if has been mentioned, but I have always thought a "1602" themed set would be pretty sweet. Some very different costumes for most of the characters...Plus its one of my favorite looks for Thor!

I'd also love a Squadron Supreme comic set.

Oh, an also something that would get me a blue Marvel!

I also love the handbook idea, there are so many cool older characters in there with awesome costumes.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:30 AM, Nervous Rex said:

I don't know if has been mentioned, but I have always thought a "1602" themed set would be pretty sweet. Some very different costumes for most of the characters...Plus its one of my favorite looks for Thor!

I'd also love a Squadron Supreme comic set.

Oh, an also something that would get me a blue Marvel!

I also love the handbook idea, there are so many cool older characters in there with awesome costumes.

Yes to Blue Marvel! I seriously doubt we'll ever get one so he's on my list of customs to do 

Another idea I had (I might have brought this up before, IDR) is an MC2-based wave. We got Spider-Girl in Wave 30... more than 10 years ago. XD

In all seriousness, tho, a whole MC2 wave, IMO, would not only offer Marvel an opportunity to have another go at Mayday Parker, but also to introduce other characters not previously seen in the Minimates' pantheon (American Dream, Stinger, J2, Mainframe, etc.). Even if it's a 6-pack, or 2 6-packs, I'd still take them.

I dunno. I'm a guy with a terrible lotta love for the MC2 imprint (I honestly think it's one of Marvel's finest, undiscovered gems) and if there can be more merch based on it, I'm for it all the way. No questions asked.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:27 AM, Heinous said:

Yes to Blue Marvel! I seriously doubt we'll ever get one so he's on my list of customs to do 

I made one a few years ago, using bits from Thor and Dr. Fate. I think he's got one of the best looks out there, and multiple configurations.

Marvel's Blue Marvel

1 hour ago, Nervous Rex said:

I made one a few years ago, using bits from Thor and Dr. Fate. I think he's got one of the best looks out there, and multiple configurations.

Marvel's Blue Marvel

People need to stop posting customs like this. I feel like I've missed an official release when I see one this good! ??

On 12/20/2021 at 7:07 AM, Nervous Rex said:

Marvel's Blue Marvel

When I do my custom, I'm going for the older version with cape. But wow that custom is great 

• 4 months later...

Not so much a story but i thought of a "theme" that could be used to squeeze out some of the odd bits and bobs I'm clamouring for, update a few much needed ones and anchor with some new variations on popular characters.

Avengers: Once an Avengers - 1960s

Iron Man (Silver Age "horned" mask look), Hulk (Silver Age look), Giant Man, Clint Barton as Goliath, Black Widow (Silver Age look), Wonder Man (Silver Age look)

Avengers: Once an Avengers - 1970s

Captain America as Nomad, Vision, Yellowjacket (70s look), Ms. Marvel (70s look), Swordsman, Mantis

Avengers: Once an Avengers - 1980s

Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel, Wasp (80s look), She-Hulk (80s look), Hercules (80s look), Black Widow (80s look), Starfox

Avengers: Once an Avengers - 1990s

Iron Man (neo-classic look), Scarlet Witch (The Crossing look), Vision (white look), Quasar, Crystal, Rage

Avengers: Once an Avengers - 2000s

Thor (Lord of Asgard look), Genis-Vell as Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers as Warbird, Hank Pym as Wasp, Wonder Man (purple energy look), Ronin

Avengers: Once an Avengers - 2010s

I'd stopped reading. Blue Marvel, Shang-Chi and whoever else people like.

• 10 months later...

I recently asked a fellow-member (US based) ,who had helped me immensely with my collection if there was anything that I could help him with . That's how it started .

He asked me to look out for a UK publication printed in 1969 , The Fantastic Four ,A Full Colour Comic Album .   Only published in the UK , the 'album' was in fact 3 Fantastic Four Stories reprinting issues 51,53 & 60 , featuring in no particular order the FF (obviously) ,Dr.Doom , Silver Surfer , The Black Panther ,Klaw & a few others.  

Asleep yet ?  Bear with me , I'm relating history here:yes: 

So this was published in 1969 , a period when many Marvel characters were being introduced to the UK via black & white reprints . So a 'full colour comic album' featuring Marvel characters was almost unique .  The cover featured the 4 members of the FF in full-colour , Sue & Reed in their Blue suits, orange-hued Thing & a fully-flamed Torch . Anybody looking at that cover in 1969, or now, just wouldn't know what lay within the book .

Wake up at the back !!!!  

Apparently the UK publishers were merely given B & W artwork & had no idea what colours the characters should be & basically came up with their own costume colours etc .   :ohmy:

I knew little of this but my copy (that is destined for the US soon) arrived today & it is bloody priceless .

You'll be pleased to know that the colourists got all the Wakandans right but Thing is purple/grey with green trunks,Doom has a yellow 'skirt-thing' with a yellow cape & his armour is blue.  The Silver Surfer is obviously  silver  .....blue & his board is .....er...green .  

The Fantastic Four of course are in their famous ....

Spoiler

Red ?

I now have a new batch of Holy Grail characters .

& quite why they got the cover right & everything else wrong is a mystery.

• 2 weeks later...