UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Storyline themed holy grail

thereasonsy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a storyline themed grail... I'll take anything that gets the hole in my collection filled. 
Especially from the X corner of the universe.

I'd take a Fatal Attractions wave if it got us Exodus, Random and some Acolytes. 

I'd love a Phalanx Covenant series if it resulted in Harvest, Douglock, and Gen X minimates

It's lower on my list, but I'd eat up a zero Tolerance wave if we ended up with Reyes, Maggot, Marrow and some Prime Sentinels.

I wouldn't say 'no' to a Runaways themed wave if they could figure out a way to make Old Lace (I suspect I'd have to sub in a lego raptor though).

51 minutes ago, Trekker 42 said:

Tomb of Dracula would kick such ass. 

I've had vampire hunters on my custom to-do list for a couple of years now. I'm sure I'll eventually get to them, but this could be a sweet-looking box set if they included Dracula & Lilith (and/or Varnae), Hannibal King & Rachel Van Helsing.

It makes me wonder how that old Strange Tales box set did, because it was one of my favorites of all time and I bought a couple of them.

2 hours ago, BuffaloDelorean said:

A Korvac Saga wave would be pretty great. I'm not sure whether I'd want it to start an incomplete Guardians lineup, though, or just stick to filling classic Avengers holes.

I'd welcome starting the GOG, even if they weren't complete for a while. 

8 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

Korvac saga wave could have the original 4 GOTG, Korvac, and one more. The whole Vance is a future Cap may have some pull. 

A classic Vision re-do, surely. That's a long time coming. Basically any Avengers story pack can be rounded off with a much needed update to classic Vision.

Although, the original 4 GOTG... you'd definitely want Starhawk in the wave since he was the most prominent one in the story. Maybe in place of Yondu who you could get away with squeezing into another wave because of them all he is a vaguely recognisable name from the movies.

I was thinking Korvac Saga as well!  It is amazing when you think about it, though.  Considering how many characters were in that storyline, there aren't that many that haven't gotten a minimates treatment already.  But those ones (including the classic GOTG) are very high on my want list.  I'm a little spoiled, though, as I had Luke make me a custom Jocasta before he quit doing commissions.

Okay, after some thinking, I've got my grail and now that they've nearly all been in a movie, an Infinity Gauntlet wave that would be improving on the old boxset would be great.

• Thanos / Death
  • Nebula / Starfox
  • Drax / Pip the Troll

Thanos would be slightly bulked up ala every Thanos since the original boxset and he would also come with a gauntlet-less glove so to have a regular Thanos - something the boxset shockingly didn't.

Death would have two heads - skullface and woman - or maybe one head with the other on the reverse since a hood would be obscuring the back. I think Rachel Summers was the only figure I saw where there was a different face on the other side. Maybe two sets of hands - skeleton and human - though just skeleton would be ok as most people will already have a bare of hands to give her. 

Nebula would have hair and also come with her own infinity gauntlet that can fit any normal-sized minimate as opposed to the Thanos-sized one that comes with Thanos You can put it on Warlock, you can put it on Starfox, etc. Probably a generic blaster gun too. 

Starfox doesn't need to come with anything. Although a face with his mouth missing would be a neat story reference bonus.

Drax would be bulked up Hulk style which the boxset did not reflect, possibly with print underneath to remove pieces to have the more regular-sized Drax from pre-Infinity Gauntlet. 

Pip would come on that smaller elf body. I'm not sure Pip would be allowed to come with a cigar holding hand so I guess he comes with nothing too.

Now I really want this so can DST do it please?

• 2 weeks later...

The Dark Knight by Miller, Janson, and Varley

• Batman / The Joker
  • Robin / Mutant Leader
  • Superman / Armored Batman

But that isn't happening anytime soon...

A more realistic wish would be the Inhumans Saga

• Karnak / Gorgon
  • Crystal / Medusa 
  • Black Bolt / Maximus the Mad

...and the Kree/Skull war

• Captain Marvel / Super-Skrull  
  • Vision / Scarlet Witch 
  • Goliath / Triton

On second thought, maybe none of these are very realistic...

Regrettably, I feel like if we didn’t get the Inhumans during the great “We don’t want to market X-Men let’s replace them with Inhumans” push we never will. 

Isn’t it wild that we live in a universe where the Inhumans failed so miserably we got an Eternals movie instead?

On 12/2/2021 at 10:33 PM, Trekker 42 said:

Isn’t it wild that we live in a universe where the Inhumans failed so miserably we got an Eternals movie instead?

I watched that series recently. They weren't given a chance to succeed. 
The MCU could pretend it never happened and launch them as a film franchise if they wanted to and no-one would bat an eyelid. 

21 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Blame the multiverse. ? 

I mean, the showrunner of the upcoming She-Hulk series stated that Iron Man,The Incredible Hulk, and The Avengers are only canon in the context of mentally replacing Terrance Howard, Ed Norton, and Damion Poitier with Don Cheadle, Mark Ruffalo, and Josh Brolin as James Rhodes, Bruce Banner, and Thanos, respectively, and that the Terrance Howard, Ed Norton, and Damion Poitier versions of those movies aren't canon.

TBH, I call bullshit on that, but whatever. Marvel wants consistency, which I can't really knock, but it'd be more sincere if they actually managed to keep Terrance, Ed, and Damion.

1 hour ago, TheMinimateKing30 said:

I mean, the showrunner of the upcoming She-Hulk series stated that Iron Man,The Incredible Hulk, and The Avengers are only canon in the context of mentally replacing Terrance Howard, Ed Norton, and Damion Poitier with Don Cheadle, Mark Ruffalo, and Josh Brolin as James Rhodes, Bruce Banner, and Thanos, respectively, and that the Terrance Howard, Ed Norton, and Damion Poitier versions of those movies aren't canon.

(Don't forget the Abomination and Fandral!)

Hey, I think it's adorable that the showrunner of She-Hulk has an opinion. Someone needs to explain to her that those films are very much canonical and that she should think of recasts the same way comic readers look at a change in pencillers. Yes, the characters might appear different but it's the same character?

On 12/10/2021 at 1:10 PM, MisterPL said:

(Don't forget the Abomination and Fandral!)

Hey, I think it's adorable that the showrunner of She-Hulk has an opinion. Someone needs to explain to her that those films are very much canonical and that she should think of recasts the same way comic readers look at a change in pencillers. Yes, the characters might appear different but it's the same character?

Abomination is played by the same guy, Tim Roth. Hell, he provided the vocals for Abomination's cameo in Shang-Chi.

On 11/18/2021 at 1:46 PM, AFMcGill said:

Okay, after some thinking, I've got my grail and now that they've nearly all been in a movie, an Infinity Gauntlet wave that would be improving on the old boxset would be great.

• Thanos / Death
  • Nebula / Starfox
  • Drax / Pip the Troll

Thanos would be slightly bulked up ala every Thanos since the original boxset and he would also come with a gauntlet-less glove so to have a regular Thanos - something the boxset shockingly didn't.

Death would have two heads - skullface and woman - or maybe one head with the other on the reverse since a hood would be obscuring the back. I think Rachel Summers was the only figure I saw where there was a different face on the other side. Maybe two sets of hands - skeleton and human - though just skeleton would be ok as most people will already have a bare of hands to give her. 

Nebula would have hair and also come with her own infinity gauntlet that can fit any normal-sized minimate as opposed to the Thanos-sized one that comes with Thanos You can put it on Warlock, you can put it on Starfox, etc. Probably a generic blaster gun too. 

Starfox doesn't need to come with anything. Although a face with his mouth missing would be a neat story reference bonus.

Drax would be bulked up Hulk style which the boxset did not reflect, possibly with print underneath to remove pieces to have the more regular-sized Drax from pre-Infinity Gauntlet. 

Pip would come on that smaller elf body. I'm not sure Pip would be allowed to come with a cigar holding hand so I guess he comes with nothing too.

Now I really want this so can DST do it please?

Now that we're not getting waves, we're getting 6-figure boxsets... there's no good reason at all this can't be one!! An improvement on the old one that also offers some of the major missing characters from the story.

43 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

But he looked so different! Maybe she'd be happy if Ruffalo looped over Norton's dialogue. 

He looked different, yeah, but it's still Roth.

I'm not a supporter of it. I think it's a tad ridiculous. I understand Marvel wanting to use recasts in the context of flashbacks to earlier media (like the Incredible Hulk scenes in the third episode of What If... ?), but outright declaring those films non-canon in the sense of pure casting is taking the piss.