SDCC 2018

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, fwoosheyman said:

I find the DST store difficult to navigate,  it’s dated looking, dark, dull with small pictures of the items. There’s no advertising on what’s new in stock and new to pre-order and it’s just kinda hidden away. I believe it needs an visual/interface overall along w more advertising on the main website and social media. The new BBTS site is something I find very appealing both visually and using it. I realize it would take additional employees to have a fully functional store and amazon store. (Or Chuck can just dump it all on you ?).

Walgreens as the home of minimates scares me. Drug stores are where toys go to collect dust and be on the shelves for years. We all see them while looking for minimates at Walgreens. There’s already well documented issues with distribution and having them be the one store that carries minimates makes me fear they’ll drop minimates cause they aren’t moving and that will be the end. 

You aren’t wrong that the DST website needs an overhaul. I’m actually surprised it hasn’t gotten one. 

As for Walgreens, they are in a process of transition. They still haven’t gotten complete alignment from when they bought Duane Reade and now just bought RiteAid. Once complete you are talking about one of the largest distribution centers out there with stores in almost every single city in the US and a redesigned website that is still being rolled out. I know it’s not an answer anyone wants to hear but it was their first year and the embargo fiasco really impacted things. They are learning and will get it right. Clearly the experiences that this small group is having is not indicative of all the shoppers since Walgreens keeps coming back and even bought two comic book lines. Yes, it can be a shitty experience outside of urban areas but they are working in the online store. Hopefully Avengers BC won’t be an Alpha Flight. I don’t read the new Avengers series but hopefully someone does. 

Comic book stores are not the future.Comic book stores are a niche retail environment in an industry that is slowly turning into an IP factory. Comics as a whole lost millions in revenue last year in sales. If you want a retail giant, well Walgreens is one and their biggest threat to closing is an acquisition by another retail giant because even a Target or a Walmart can’t stop their footprint. 

@DSTZach, maybe it's time for a new DST website. One more clean, with a better store. For the store the ideal is to have product categories at the menu as well, not just the licenses as a principal filter. And only with the products in stock or with those that will have replacement, without that Archive with 1036 items at the end. It needs to be a store, not a catalog. With international shipping!

About Minimates, there are several characters that people still look for that are rare or very expensive: bulked Juggernaut, 90s X-Men in general, Rachel Summers, TRU Bullseye, etc. I remember you said that DST would not do more of the Best of, so how about The Most Wanted? Do a official poll and pick the top 8. Teams box set may also work, 5 characters.

Can you do themed dioramas? Something like Icon Heroes ThunderCats Cats Lair but in PVC to reduce the price.

Have you ever thought about letting the minimates in a battle or action position inside the packs? The figures are more dynamic and can attract new consumers, specially children.

And about the international customers, what can you do to help us too? We don't have Walgreens.

5 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Something else to consider. Hasbro is moving manufacturing out of China. I'm sure other toy companies will follow suit for the same reasons.

In the meantime...?

Considering the amount of layoffs happening today at Mattel, EA, and Hasbro and this move, it’s definitely going to impact supply.

20 hours ago, DSTZach said:

If the TRU wave is now at Walgreens, do you know how they will be distributed? Walgreens has been getting 4 2-packs. TRU was getting 3. Will Walgreens get 6 for this set? Or will different Walgreens get a second of different packs?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are aiming for online sets, but we'll see.

Only? And if so, do you know it will be a full set or individual packs?

Edited by Onyx_6
Added my original question for context

9 hours ago, thereasonsy said:

As for Walgreens, they are in a process of transition. They still haven’t gotten complete alignment from when they bought Duane Reade and now just bought RiteAid. Once complete you are talking about one of the largest distribution centers out there with stores in almost every single city in the US and a redesigned website that is still being rolled out.

Besides the website, do you think finishing the process is going to help? Walgreens doesn't seem to have a problem getting product to the pegs (embargo issues aside), they have an issue with having open pegs because old product doesn't move. It's the same thing Target and Wal-mart struggle with just more noticeable because of limited space in the store,  and it happens with all of their collector lines. If retail giants haven't figured this out I'm not hopeful Walgreens is going to be able to. Maybe the website will make this irrelevant though.

Not me, sorry.

Is anyone else lamenting the absence of build-a-figures? Having zero familiarity with Avengers 1,000,000 BC I have no idea what other character might have complemented that assortment but I really like the idea and was hoping we'd see more of it, especially in comic-based waves.

50 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Not me, sorry.

Is anyone else lamenting the absence of build-a-figures? Having zero familiarity with Avengers 1,000,000 BC I have no idea what other character might have complemented that assortment but I really like the idea and was hoping we'd see more of it, especially in comic-based waves.

Far as I’ve seen the only character they could consider “missed” is the Mammoth. 

And yes a build a ghostmammoth would be impressive but admittedly quite unlikely 

38 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Fred & Barney are owned by Wilma & Betty.

I never knew that :thumbsup: 

Flintstone Minimates .....available from your nearest BAM BAM 

22 minutes ago, RedTiger95 said:

I always thought Scooby-Doo characters would look good as minimates with their colorful and simple design.

A boulder design ?

On 7/24/2018 at 5:20 PM, stack32 said:

Besides the website, do you think finishing the process is going to help? Walgreens doesn't seem to have a problem getting product to the pegs (embargo issues aside), they have an issue with having open pegs because old product doesn't move. It's the same thing Target and Wal-mart struggle with just more noticeable because of limited space in the store,  and it happens with all of their collector lines. If retail giants haven't figured this out I'm not hopeful Walgreens is going to be able to. Maybe the website will make this irrelevant though.

The problem with the giants is that they are giants. Every decision has to be needled to death by a litany of execs and even a good idea in theory can become toxic in execution. I think if they can do the website AND the shipping then they are in a much better spot. 

9 hours ago, hellpop said:

Apropos of nothing, but I'd be down for Hanna-Barbara Minimates.

I would love the old Hanna Barbera superheroes.  Herculoids, Birdman, Space Ghost, etc.  And I think they would do great as minimates.  But given that they are more or less in production in DC comics (in their "Future Quest" line), I imagine the licensing would be a no go.  

9 hours ago, Kotter Comics said:

I would love the old Hanna Barbera superheroes.  Herculoids, Birdman, Space Ghost, etc.  And I think they would do great as minimates.  But given that they are more or less in production in DC comics (in their "Future Quest" line), I imagine the licensing would be a no go.  

As a licensing mentor often told me, "It's worth a conversation." Watchmen, Gotham, and iZombie are all DC properties and managed to get Minimates. So long as no one else has rights to the appropriate product category, there's no reason to believe that Hanna-Barbera – managed by WB, not DC – would be open to an agreement.

It would be a really good license for DST. Lots of things they can make, and with Warners pushing those characters a bit through DC and Boomerang, they might be interested.  For Minimates, it's a huge library of recognizable characters that could produce several strong waves.