UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

D-Formz

MisterPL

No, this isn't about the Nigerian construction company. This is about DST's first foray into super-deformed chibi figures called MiniVinimates D-Formz! Launching with Pacific Rim: Uprising, these will be available in September, hopefully just in time for the release of the home video.

0e6d3877-2fb1-4240-b41f-89b1708e526f.jpg

Aren't they aDorbzible? These blind-boxed little guys aren't Mez-itzing around! Maybe they can be Palz with your other figures.

Pre-order yours today!

Cool thread. I don't personally think they look anything like Dorbz, Mez-Itz or Palz, and I'm not sure any of those would be classified as chibi or superdeformed. If you'd worked in Egg Attack or Nendoroids or SD Gundam, you would have had a pretty good thing going.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 12:38 PM, MisterPL said:

If they'd been called anything without a Z in the brand, I might have used those other product names.

Ha! I didn't even put that together.

Well, making a brand name requires taking into account things like trademarks (still hazy on trademark law, but I BELIEVE you can't trademark "forms"), searchability (search for d-forms and you get a lot of paperwork), and competing brands in your category (a lone construction company in another country is probably the best you are going to do when creating a toy brand name that is not just random syllables).

We don't have a unique name like Funko, so searchability is important. Without "Funko," (and total market saturation) searching for "Pops" might not get you the results you want. 

With "D-Formz", at least we're on the first page. "D-forms" would likely have been pushed to page 2 by the SEC and some obscure geometric shapes.

D-Formz™ is clever enough. It does everything you said and I doubt there'll be any brand confusion with the aforementioned Nigerian construction company. If any of the Minimates aesthetic translated into these stylized figures, I'd have kept pushing for MiniVinimates.

As someone who's not fond of blind packaging, I'm hoping these will show up in a collectors set somewhere down the line, maybe with an exclusive variant. That's something that might tempt me. Otherwise I'll probably stick to the Select figures for big figures and continue pining for Minimates of the humans.

"Mass Effect." 

Again, as someone who's not fond of blind packaging, I'm not inclined to use Mass Effect 'mates as stand-ins for proper Jaeger pilots.

And as someone who craves authenticity, all I'm asking for are official Jaeger pilot Minimates. The packaging can even look like the Jaeger heads. It's not like DST doesn't already have the license.

But honestly, good luck with the D-Formz™.

• 11 months later...

How are those D-Formz performing? I've yet to see them at brick & mortar retail.

I did see Bruce Lee is getting an assortment, as well as Select figures (like Pacific Rim: Uprising) and statues (like Pacific Rim: Uprising) and Minimates (unlike Pacific Rim: Uprising). Bruce must still be pretty popular with collectors!

• 3 months later...