UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

HasLab - Jabba's Sail Barge

MisterPL

sailbarge1.jpg

Is anyone else here drooling over this monster?

https://www.hasbrolab.com

The price tag seemed steep at first but the more I found out about it, the more I think I need it. (Haha. "Need.")

As someone who doesn't generally go after high-ticket items, I'm picturing myself regretting not ordering it now while it's ONLY $500. Of course it's moot if Hasbro doesn't reach its 5,000-unit goal. I just wish I had more time to save up for it.

After 10 days they've got 2,101 backers out of the required 5,000. The CG presentation intrigued me but seeing the unpainted prototype drew me in. Once it's painted I fully expect the number to spike.

That said, I want the damned thing to light up. I'm glad it comes with a Jabba and that poor Ithorian chained in the dungeon but I want lights, dang it.

If they do reach their goal, maybe they'll be able to mass produce more for a retailer but with some decontenting. Jabba sold separately, maybe a cheaper paint job.

It's amazing but they've ruined the 3.75" line and I have no faith they can restore it with the return of the vintage collection which is chock full of repacks.

They should have started with something not so huge and worked up to an item this big.

Edited by fwoosheyman

And see, for the $500 price tag, here I was naively thinking this was a 6 inch scale Sail Barge. That would seem worth it.... not 3.75 inch, though.

I have a select few 6", but with exception of my childhood 3 3/4" figures, I have only one "modern" figure and it is the convention 501st Stormtrooper.

I never switched to 6". I simply stopped buying the 1:18 scale when Hasbro turned most of them into Happy Meal™ premiums. Call me spoiled but I waited a long time for super-articulated action figures in that scale and I'm sticking with them.

That said, the $13 Walmart figures are over-packaged and over-priced. I pick them up on clearance when I can but otherwise I play the long game. Most everything gets reissued eventually. 

I guess we'll see exactly how many 1:18 scale collectors are still out there soon enough.

• 1 month later...

Well, I bought a boat.

Over 8,800 other sail barges are being made and one of them is mine. Space is already being allocated for its arrival next March.

It'll be interesting to see what Haslab follows this up with. Speculation ranges from the USS Flagg from GI Joe to a giant Equestrian playset for a giant My Little Pony display. If they do another Star Wars piece (and I'm sure they will) my vote goes to the Sandcrawler, another prop that could double as both a vehicle and display piece for all the droids they've offered throughout the years.

Some are speculating that the included Yak Face figure on the exclusive POTF card back with the coin will fetch a decent price on the secondary market. With so many being produced, it'll be interesting to see how much demand there is, especially considering Hasbro's planning to release the same figure on a different card.

• 10 months later...

I finally got my shipping notice this morning. My barge arrives Monday. I'm having it shipped to work since there's no room yet at home. (My son and daughter-in-law are still with us since the arson last April and my toy room has been their bedroom.) Fortunately I've got a couple barge buddies at the office who are just as stoked as I am.

Rumor has it Hasbro will announce sales into Australia and Europe soon but if you really can't wait, BBTS apparently ordered a couple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After reading horror stories about damaged boxes, missing Yak Face figures, and random broken parts, I finally opened my Khetanna last night with the help of one of my barge buddies at work.

No pics yet but it's pretty impressive. I can't imagine anything like this being available back in 1983 (the GI Joe USS Flagg comes close) so it's pretty special. It's a great choice not only because it's a vehicle and a playset but because it allows you to display almost all the main characters and dozens of Jabba's denizens.

It came triple-boxed, which I was not expecting. My carded Yak Face is unpunched and unmarked unlike others that have circular indentations in the upper left corner. There are no missing parts that I can see. I'll be test fitting parts soon.

Right now it's kind of on display at work but it makes me nervous. Even though it's in a low-traffic location, it's already gotten some attention. Fortunately my boss hasn't said anything yet.

Once it's home I'll be able to enjoy it.

• 3 months later...
29 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Cookie Monster is the X-wing of Sesame Street characters. If they wanted to go sail barge, they’d have gone with Big Bird.

I’ve seen a screen used Big Bird muppet in person. 

Cookie Monster is... more feasible.