UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Black Panther movie

THE_CRIPPLER

No spoilers please. I am just wondering what others thought. I would compare it to the Wonder Woman movie by saying Hollywood totally over-hyped it. It wasn't bad by any means, but was not that great either. The cgi was pretty bad at times, especially during fight scenes. Some of the scenes were so dark it was hard to tell what was going on. Maybe that was done to cover some of the shoddy cgi? I don't feel the need to sit and watch it again. I kinda feel the same as with the DC movies. Once is enough for me. 

I wanted to like it. I wanted to like it sooooooo bad that perhaps i jinxed myself. I went to opening night here in Australia, which i never do because i generally don't like the cinema when it's packed out.
There's a lot of good in the film. The supporting cast is pretty amazing. Michael B Jordan was great to watch. Angela Bassett was great. In fact, all of the female cast were great. I wish we had had more of Danai Gurira. She's freaking fantastic. 
The film had a bit of a slower pace than I was expecting (which is not always a bad thing). I guess my problem is that I found Chadwick Boseman the least interesting/charismatic character in a movie that is all about him. 
I wish they had gone in a bit harder with the socio/political messaging, but I understand that can be difficult for a very mainstream film.
This film is by no means unenjoyable.... but i feel like about 25 minutes of character development for T'Challa could have been used more effectively. The costume design is vibrant and beautiful. The sound design is solid. The soundtrack is pretty good. The locations are amazing. I guess I just wanted to love it more. 
I would rank this above The Dark World and The First Avenger. It might need a re-watch in a less crowded cinema for me to get fully on board. 

See it, but don't believe the hype. Judge it for yourself.

Edited by Nessex

It was very good but definitely over-hyped just like Wonder Woman due to it's cultural significance. I thought it was excellent until the last 1/3 of the movie then people start acting like morons and it became kinda predictable.

I found the women characters of the film (Okoye, Shuri & Nakia) to be excellent and really enjoyed their parts. Andy Serkis was excellent (of course) as Klaue. I wasn't a fan of what they did to Killmonger. I want my bad guys to be bad not sympathetic.

I loved it, but I felt they definitely blew too many loads in one movie (could have stretched three of the characters into each of their own movies - because you know they're gonna do a trilogy, lol). 

And while I didn't have an issue with most of the CG, there were a few moments, and one of the companies that worked on it was ILM, who used to be THE name in CGI, but for awhile now have been overdoing it so it doesn't look as good as it did as it used to.

Thanos: I have an ARMY!

Tony Stark: We have the Dora Milaje.

Thanos: ... I will be right back.

Saw it yesterday. Enjoyed it. No, it didn't live up to the hype but it hit a lot of the right notes. It uses the safe Marvel formula but has done much, much better than I ever thought a Black Panther movie would ever do, and in February.