UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Sonic The Hedgehog

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Knuckles is in Set 2, along with Super Sonic, Cream, Cheese and I think Silver. So Shadow would be Set 3. 

That is fantastic news, Zach!  I know we've seen photos of Super Sonic, Cream & Cheese, and Silver. But I haven't been able to track down any images of Knuckles. Has he been shown anywhere?

5 hours ago, RedTiger95 said:

Sounds great. Also is there no hammer for Amy? Or is it tucked in at the bottom?

NO hammer.

3 hours ago, Donny B said:

That is fantastic news, Zach!  I know we've seen photos of Super Sonic, Cream & Cheese, and Silver. But I haven't been able to track down any images of Knuckles. Has he been shown anywhere?

NO Knuckles. Yet. Maybe in February. Not sure we'll solicit before then. 

I think I'll pick these up; I think all the designs translated really nicely to minimates. Plus DST is capitalize on my excitement for Smash on the Switch (since I play Sonic a lot). And it even brings me back to the days when I'd watch SonicX on Saturday mornings as a kid.

Edited by OvenproofBug6

• 1 month later...

Surprised nobody is talking about these, I just got mine from Luke today:

IMG_1134.thumb.jpg.a31800381dda1092b3afe5274bb8d9fd.jpg

IMG_1126.thumb.jpg.9ea94f72175de17125716aa81e7affc2.jpg

IMG_1127.thumb.jpg.9b6cb39218158b68b1a499b698589f5b.jpg

IMG_1130.thumb.jpg.e850f70cd3360de37e47f6ea8e5adcb1.jpg

IMG_1132.thumb.jpg.df9fffa38463346925aa919507f64c05.jpg

I had a lot of mixed feelings going into this box set, but I think DST did really well with what they gave us. Seeing Sonic with a printed face was awkward at first, but having him in hand is a lot better. DST must have improved whatever design they were doing for the arm-legs, because these feel a lot more solid and aren't flopping around like most Minimates that use arms as legs. The 4 extra rings are a nice bonus, but I wish there was a Chao or a Badnik accessory too, or Amy's hammer would have been a stellar addition. Also, alongside Ryu and Ken, Sonic makes the third character from Super Smash Bros to appear as a Minimate!

I'm hoping these do really well, because I want this line to have the legs it deserves. Bring on Knuckles and Shadow!

Uh.....so what's going on here?

https://news.toyark.com/2019/02/13/sonic-the-hedgehog-toys-coming-from-jakks-pacific-332368

SEGA of America Taps JAKKS Pacific as Global Toy Partner for Sonic the Hedgehog

Product Line to be Revealed at New York Toy Fair 2019

SANTA MONICA, Calif. – Leading U.S. toymaker JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (NASDAQ: JAKK), today announced it has entered into a multi-year, global toy licensing deal with SEGA of America, Inc. to manufacture, market, and distribute their iconic Sonic the Hedgehog video game brand. The entire line will be showcased at the International Toy Fair in New York February 16-19, 2019.

SEGA’s Sonic the Hedgehog franchise launched in 1991 and continues to be one of the most-popular gaming brands of all time with over 800M units sold or downloaded to date. With a methodical and organic approach, Sonic the Hedgehog has expanded its footprint across multiple platforms including games, mobile, TV, comics and other entertainment areas.

JAKKS will be showcasing its line of Sonic the Hedgehog action figures, playsets, plush, collectibles and novelty items. One item fans will speed to the store for is the Pinball Track Set. This set brings the iconic videogame to life with its customizable track. Fans simply pull the pinball launcher and shoot the Sonic Spheres through the loops and turns. The set comes with an exclusive Sonic Sphere and removable figure.

“We are incredibly excited to work with SEGA of America to bring this iconic property and character to life,” said Craig Drobis, SVP Marketing, JAKKS Pacific. “The JAKKS line of toys, role-play, and dress-up extends the ‘Sonic’ experience from screen-time to play-time.”

“As a best-in-class toy company that possesses an exemplary track record with legendary brands in the gaming space, it made perfect sense for us to enter into a partnership with JAKKS Pacific,” said Anoulay Tsai, Licensing Director, SEGA of America. “This is a great step forward for Sonic the Hedgehog as we endeavor to break barriers at the speed of sound in toys!”

The global launch (except Asia) of Sonic the Hedgehog toys will be available at retail this Fall for fans ages three and older with prices starting at $4.99.

3 hours ago, youbastards said:

@DSTZach are you able to confirm if Sonic Minimates are still happening?  With this Jakks announcement and no new Minimates shown at Toyfair, some clarification on the line would be appreciated.

Im curious too, because he told us what's in Boxset 2 but it wasn't shown and the just released set wasn't in any of the pics I've seen of Toy Fair.

JAKKS has nothing to do with us, we have new Sonic toy product on display -- static mini-figures with dioramas, which we announced with the license. And a PVC and a bank.

We'll see how the Sonic box set ultimately does, Set 2 is currently a question mark. 

Edited by DSTZach

1 hour ago, DSTZach said:

We'll see how the Sonic box set ultimately does, Set 2 is currently a question mark. 

I am in love with the Sonic Minimates that we have, and would feel a constant nagging frustration if we never got Knuckles. I do understand the whole dynamic of sales numbers, but if the worst case scenario occurs and DST decides against a second box set, would it be feasible to get a 2-pack with Knuckles and Super Sonic? Maybe as a con exclusive or Walgreens or something along those lines? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It isn’t looking likely.

There hasn’t been any official word, but Zach has been making comments that give the impression the first box set performed very poorly.

maybe if they had put Knuckles in there instead of Amy, it would have fared better ??‍♂️

Edited by Donny B

No, you’re right. If Sonic, Tails, and Eggman weren’t enough to push the set, Knuckles wouldn’t make any difference.

I guess I’m still just hurting a bit from the way it played out. As a fan of the Genesis era, I would have been perfectly content to get Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman (Robotnick). The other characters are superfluous from my perspective (I hadn’t even heard of Amy until they made a Minimate of her).

18 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

So, these are done? No Knuckles? :( 

Yeah, it sounds like the Sonic line is already dead.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:41 PM, DSTZach said:

Knuckles would have been in Sonic Series 2, we never got a chance to show the prototype. I think Series 1 was an all-star set, but oh well.