UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Most need of a redo

Heinous

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/16/2018 at 5:23 AM, Gillbob316 said:

Cloak and Dagger are a pair right on the cusp as well. They're not bad, but they could be better.

Funny you should mention them...

On 2/16/2018 at 5:23 AM, Gillbob316 said:

I honestly think Bishop and Jubilee's 90s looks could use an update. This isn't me saying, "they're too hard to find/expensive" I genuinely think these two weren't done to their full potential... they were mates that got designed on the cheap for parts re-use. They're not up to scratch with most other mates for their time. (Bishop moreso than Jubilee. Jubilee admittedly can be improved A LOT with parts swaps from Strike Force, quite easily)

Yeah - I thought this at the time as well. Like, they just needed a little extra sculpting to push them over the top. A bbandanna and a new mullet for Bishop and sculpted glasses for Jubes.
Agree about Polaris too. The costume is good, but I always thought she had one of those generic, pretty, blank faces that some of the earlier women sometimes got. I'd like to see more character and definition in her face. 

On 2/15/2018 at 3:42 PM, Valo487 said:

If we get Hydro Man, I’d rather get his costumed look than the shirt and jeans look again. 

I wouldn't mind getting a costumed Hydro-Man, per say. And honestly, I could probably figure out how to quick-custom a Shirt and Jeans one fairly easily if I put my mind to it, since it's basically the easiest costume ever.

That said, a big part of the motivation for me is I want to re-create the Sinister Syndicate team from the Spider-Man ride at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. As I mentioned in the Symbiote Thread, this is the same reason i really want a Scream Minimate, if we start dipping into tertiary Symbiote characters.

And that said, the Hydro Man in the ride is the T-Shirt and Jeans version. So... *Shrug* I'd be happy to get a redo of that version.

Either way, he's a minimate who could hugely benefit from some new effect parts, no matter which costume you put him in. You could cast half of Sandman's parts in clear blue plastic and use them for Hydro Man to great effect (as has been done in other toylines)

I'm sure I could make the T-Shirt torso easily, but it's not having a "water legs" base that's the real trouble.

It just seems like there are a lot of choices where the thought process is “This isn’t perfect.” And I can understand thinking there’s room for improvement, but to want a character remade just because you don’t like a hairpiece seems counterproductive when the very nature of ‘mates allows you to pick whichever hairpiece you like. The new Dagger is better than the last one, but it’s not like comparing the first Chameleon ‘mate to the one we just received. When I think of redoing a character it’s mostly characters like Leader which are not even up to the standards of the Animated ‘mates or Abomination who is literally too small compared to the way Hulks are made now. I think the last Quicksilver isn’t nearly cocky enough in his expression, but I’d rather get Clone Saga era Kaine, The Jackal, Scream, Mister Fear, Mr. Hyde, and so on instead of a more arrogant Quicksilver, if that makes sense.  

Speaking personally, from my point of view when I posted:

All the most direly in need of an upgrade characters were listed within like... the first 10 posts. As I mentioned earlier, basically anyone from the first 20 waves who hasn't already had a re-do could verymuch use a re-do.

I listed a few later figures who I freely admitted weren't desperately in need of an upgrade, but who could benefit from one all the same, for the sake of not being redundant and keeping the conversation interesting with new contributions.

Sure, Polaris, Cloak and Dagger still hold up better than some mates, but ffs, do we need a thread where 35 people post "Firestar" in a row? Why do we need to pitch a fit?

And for the record, no, I'm not posting characters I don't have, because I own this line in its entirety. There are no characters I don't have. So rest assured if it makes you feel better that every character I'd like to see upgraded is a character I'd like to see upgraded. :P

Edited by Gillbob316

I've never really been happy with Gold Spider-Man & the Thing's cigar accessory was nowhere near perfect.:D

The old Hydro-Man Minimate  breaks really easily .....in fact it is IMHO the most fragile of the entire Minimate range . I'm lucky with breakages but not with that guy......is it just me? Just asking/saying. 

As for Firestar , I can see why people clamour for a new version but actually the original has always been one of my favourite Minimates ....as for Hercules I was quite happy with him until the last post ........... you're right .:yes:

Regards wanting 'mates redone because you haven't got them is understandable but from my point of view there are some Minimates that were nigh on perfect first time around & should be just re-released rather than re-done.

Wave 28 Deadpool is perhaps the finest example of what I perceive to be a great Minimate ,  the exact figure was re-released within a year or so .....how often does that happen? I love the Minimate & it just oozes the love that must have gone into designing it & producing it ....perfect accessories ,perfect colour, alternative looks blah blah blah....it is a wonderful Minimate. It's an expensive Minimate & rightly so ....it is superb.

Do I want it redone? No, I've seen the re-dos that we have had & they all fall way short ,only the X-force Grey comes anywhere near . That's my opinion ....it won't be yours of course.

Do I want it re-done ? Yes I do , give the new fans that same glorious Minimate & give me ,the old fan , the one tiny thing that I perceive as being 'not quite right' with the original .....do away with the slip-overs, give me alternate heads & I have my perfect Minimate ........nothing else needs to change.   

Re-do or re-release ? We can surely have both & we're all winners.

42 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

The old Hydro-Man Minimate  breaks really easily .....in fact it is IMHO the most fragile of the entire Minimate range . I'm lucky with breakages but not with that guy......is it just me? Just asking/saying. 

No problem here. What breaks on yours?

It's my understanding that clear plastic can often be more brittle than opaque/solid colors. My Hydro Man is still fine, but I admittedly don't handle him with great frequency.

The first Marvel Legends Iceman is also one I've heard is prone to frequent breakage (he has an infamous exploding crotch piece, that seems to come apart for lots of people eventually)

I just want to say, as long as we're criticizing Hercules' Skirt, I have the same problem with the upcoming Uncanny Avengers Rogue we just saw the first pics of over the weekend. I don't like when they print belt details onto skirts, rather than sculpt them. Ends up looking cheap.

Hydro-Man is the type of Minimate that I am rather adamantly opposed to seeing a redo. The original figure is fine, save for the hairpiece, and even those of you that don't customize should be able to find an acceptable hairpiece if it's really bothering you. Plus, he's such a minor character that I don't think we need two of him when there are plenty of others out there waiting for their first 'mate. I like Hydro-Man, and I'm glad we got one, but that's enough.

Silver Sable is a good choice, mostly because she's got that dated hairpiece and (if memory serves, I haven't handled her figure in awhile) she had a flat headtop that prevents an easy hairpiece swap.

Wasp doesn't so much need a redo as she does a new figure. It's pretty crazy, actually, that we've only gotten one Wasp in all these years. I'd love to see the black and yellow suit she was sporting for the last few years as a Minimate.

Hercules could use an update, since he came out during the unfortunate period when Minimates were bulked up by those ugly powerhouse chestpieces with the little shoulder overhangs. The less said about those the better.

My personal choice would be Captain Britain, since I've always felt that DST erred by simplifying the details of his mask. I want a Captain Britain that looks just like Alan Davis drew him, dammit!

The winner, though, is Power Man and Iron Fist. We keep getting new pairings of them, in a variety of outfits (including the truly hideous ones coming out shortly) but we desperately need to get these guys in their classic outfits.

At least if they released a new Hydro-Man in his super villain costume, it would be something new, and I’m sure they could add in new water power pieces that they didn’t have then, and I would at least feel like I was getting something new. Silver Sable I would argue is just as obscure and would likely look the exact same, just with an improved head.