UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Most need of a redo

Heinous

14 minutes ago, Valo487 said:

At least if they released a new Hydro-Man in his super villain costume, it would be something new, and I’m sure they could add in new water power pieces that they didn’t have then, and I would at least feel like I was getting something new. Silver Sable I would argue is just as obscure and would likely look the exact same, just with an improved head. 

I can't be the only one in favor of improved head.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Valo487 said:

At least if they released a new Hydro-Man in his super villain costume, it would be something new, and I’m sure they could add in new water power pieces that they didn’t have then, and I would at least feel like I was getting something new. Silver Sable I would argue is just as obscure and would likely look the exact same, just with an improved head. 

Yeah really.

Hellpop, now I'm only teasing you... but I feel the need to point out... your entire first paragraph was to state that Hydro Man didn't need an update because he's a tertiary Spider-Man character who doesn't need an update because his biggest problem is a dated hairpiece, and then your entire second paragraph was to defend the idea of replacing Silver Sable, an arguably equally tertiary Spider-Man character whose biggest problem (by your own admission) is a dated hairpiece. :P 

Though I admittedly don't know where Hydro Man stands on the peg vs. no peg dilemma. I assume he has no peg though, because his hairpiece is one of the most prone to easily falling off in the history of this line, which is one of my biggest problems with it. It's second only to the original Unmasked Spider-Man's hair, imo

Both of them are under-detailed by today's standards. I'd argue Sable's minimate even has more detailing overall than Hydromans, making her hold up better, but then, her costume merits more detailing overall than his, wheras Hydroman's is admittedly very simple. That said, that very simple nature also plays against him, as his legs look very plain, with no texture at all. He's borderline a blank minimate from the waist down. It's a weird thing, but older mates who use plain plastic somehow look cheaper to me than newer mates who use painted plastic. Couldn't tell you why. I went and looked at a few Marty McFly mates for a modern "Blue Jean" comparison, to try to figure it out, and it's not as if Marty's jeans have much more detail, they're also plain solid colors for the most part... other than being painted blue, rather than blue plastic... but somehow they still look better than Hydro Man's to me? I dunno. It's weird. Some of Marty's jeans do have cuffs painted on the ankles, I note. i think full painted mates somehow bring the decals out more... they look cleaner and brighter. Wheras details printed directly onto plastic get lost more (look fuzzier and darker). And this apply's to both Hydro Man's legs and torso.

ANYWAY... quibbling over details aside...

There's no denying at all Hydro Man, could benefit HUGELY from some new FX parts. Wheras Sable could easily be supplemented with the 1000's of guns we already have. He originally came with clear arms... and 2 of Ryu's Hadoukens for crap's sake (which he can't even stand up with)... one need only look to a newer Sandman minimate to see how vastly he could be improved.

I'd argue the two are on even footing at the absolute least.

Personal preference taken into account, I'd still rather have Hydro Man updated (though personal preference is personal preference)

Don't get me wrong though, at the end of the day, I think they could both use the update. I'm not denying Sable looks dated, I'm just arguing that Hydro Man doesn't hold up to today's standards nearly as well as implied.

Edited by Gillbob316

Give me a 'painted' Minimate over any 'plain plastic' Minimate any day .   That beautiful 'Spot' minimate I've seen just begs to be 'painted' white......the whole essence of the character is BLACK & WHITE........sorry about the bold letters but that is the character, that's what makes it something other than 'just another minimate' .  Is it painted......I don't know ?  If it's not then it will go the way of every other 'plain white plastic' Minimate that has been released........:unsure:

A 'Thing' minimate that has a head that matches his body ............ does that warrant a re-do ?  :wallbash:

Oh another one Yellowjacket!! Really don't like that Minimate... the chest piece doesn't really cover his torso or really look particularly neat and the helmet didn't really translate well - probably should've gone for a slip cover to make the antenna pop more. Also, why aren't his eyes yellow lenses? That would've been a wiser decision with the mask like that.

Although, most the Hank Pym's are quite old. The old Giant Man and Goliath ones definitely feel we've got new pieces to beef him up since then but Yellowjacket is the only one I'd note as being disappointed with.

Which one is Pantheon Hulk? I don’t remember that name.

And, I would totally be up for a redo of Yellowjacket and Drew Spider-Woman. Especially if they each came with alternate Skrull heads.

And for mention of Army Builders, I think we could use a Greatest Hits Army Building Series:

Shield vs AIM - include an alternate female Shield chest and female head (which could be used for AIM too), AoU Fury’s jet pack, High-tech weapons 

Skrull vs Kree - Include some Alien weapons and pink and blue Kree heads

Multiple-Man vs Brood (include alternate No Name parts) OR Hellfire Guard

Hydra vs Shield Buster - Make the Buster Armor grey-metal instead, include alternate Heavy Hydra parts

Hank Pym is one of my two favourite superheroes, so the Yellowjacket we got was a big want of mine. It's alright, but I wouldn't mind an update, especially if it was the version with yellow lenses.

I'd like updates of Goliath and classic Giant-Man too, but DST hasn't really figured out a consistent way to represent growth powers.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:06 AM, buttheadsmate said:

The old Hydro-Man Minimate  breaks really easily .....in fact it is IMHO the most fragile of the entire Minimate range . I'm lucky with breakages but not with that guy......is it just me? Just asking/saying. 

I remember I got that box set unopened and the powerhouse sandman's right leg if you have the figure facing towards you like in this picture was already broken in the box. I have yet to find a replacement leg. However I have not had problems with the Hydro-Man.

Edited by Scorpion