UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Where's Namor?

MisterPL

Until recently I thought the Daredevil group was the most underrepresented aspect of this line. I'm sure Marvel probably isn't pushing the Sub-Mariner for the same reasons they weren't promoting the FF and X-Men but at least there was some demand for those latter properties. Poor Namor seems to be all but forgotten.

Has the Avenging Son of Atlantis been in any comics recently or is Marvel just letting the trademark lapse? (I'm asking for a trademark attorney friend.)

I can think of several ways to get him out again:

...as part of a Golden Age 2-pack or box set (with maybe the GA Angel, Destroyer, etc.)

...as part of X-Men Red

...in his own box set, with some combination of e.g. Attuma, Orka, Krang, Namorita, Tiger Shark, Dorma, Byrrah, Stingray, Tamara Rahn, etc.

I’ve always been a big Namor fan, but I really don’t like him being part of the X-Men now. At all. It’s like when they said Falcon was a mutant, it seemed to serve no purpose other than tying everything to the X-Men. But that being said, unless they’re going to just remake a previous look, that’s the only really distinctive territory they haven’t covered for him that I can think of, unless you count “has a beard now” as a unique look. 

Namor seems to be a character that is more significant than he is popular. That and only having 2-3 significant looks probably makes him less appealing to fit into a wave. I think the major factor though would be DST staying far away from the Fantastic Four.

He's usually a shirtless arrogant jerk in green trunks.
While he's integral to Marvel history, he's not very relatable, and hasn't had a leading role in anything since.... 2011?

I wasn't a huge fan of Marvel trying to shoe-horn him into the X-Men. 
I haven't read him much outside of his appearances in X-Men, but he comes across as one of those 'old guard' super heroes that has trouble holding currency in modern comics. He's a powerhouse, and doesn't have some of the more interesting weaknesses or character development that make modern comics deeper.

Having said that - he has gotten 3 616 figures. Falcon has 6 figures, but half of them are from film/tv appearances. Black Widow has 2 non-film/tv minimates. Wasp has 1.
I think given his standing, he's actually doing ok. 

I love this thread. Namor is a character of significance but not popularity (similar to Crystal in that way). I never cared for Namor until John Byrne's  Namor series from the 90's. They tried again during Tsunami line but that didn't go so great for them.  I have always like Namor taking the mantle of first mutant seriously and being a part of the X-Men line but  I don't like the execution. There was too much flopped and I don't think you can come back from drowning a nation.

I think part of the problem is the character and also the use of the character, and by use of the character I mean Marvel can’t seem to decide if they want him to be a protagonist or antagonist, he’s always blurring the lines between the two and while that can make for a very interesting character, the way they tend to do it makes him seem more like a plot device than a character. Seems like he’s used however the particular writer wants to use him. And as for the character himself, he’s not evil enough to be a villain, but he’s such a prick that it’s hard to really like him. Personally, I like how much he antagonizes the heroes because I think it makes for interesting interaction, but it’s hard I think for the average reader to embrace him when he comes off like a person you would hate in real life. 

We've had 3 Namors & the one in the 'Invaders' box set is one of the best Minimates ever , it's 10 years since that box set was released & its easy to forget how good that box set was .*

If you are a critical person :whistling: then you might feel that the Invaders' 'mate should have had the facial expression (mouth closed) of the Defenders' version that was produced the previous year........... you might also wonder why the hell he didn't get his trident until that awful TRU Wave 8 version ??

I genuinely feel that this 'mate is nigh on perfect .... ankle wings.....unbelievable !!!

Y'see my favourite version of the character is the one that shone off of the front cover of Sub-Mariner Issue 1 in 1968......I bought that comic when I was 13 & that cover said it all , a tall arrogant guy in a pair of Speedos proudly strutting his stuff with his trident in his hand .  :blush: 

"Imperious Rex",  Latin words from a guy whose name is 'Roman ' backwards ............Stan made things too easy sometimes.

* Check out a certain local Toy Store & luke out for a certain box set that he has up for grabs ( $12 :jawdrop:) ........ the best Namor , a good Human Torch, an exceptionally good Captain America & the only comic Bucky Barnes that you're ever going to get .                               

On 2/9/2018 at 4:10 AM, buttheadsmate said:

An Australian drowns & then they name a swimming pool after him ?  :pinch:

I mean - he's not just any Australian... He *was* the PM.

Points for knowing the story though. I'm impressed! 

I’ve almost always enjoyed Namor, his recent characterizations the exception to that rule. 

If you go back and read his early Fantastic Four appearances, his guest spot in Daredevil #7 and his subsequent starring role in 1/2 of “Tales to Astonish” you’ll see that he’s not *quite* the bragging a-hole that recent stuff seems to paint him as. Sure he can be those things... but there’s a lot more depth to him that they aren’t using. 

I’ve enjoyed him the least in the X-Men books, to be honest. It just never felt like a real good fit. His appearances in the Hickman Avengers/Black Panther fallout were nicely done. And his appearances in the newest “Squadron Supreme” wasn’t half bad either. 

He’s got different motivations but can generally be used as an aquatic Hulk, where he’s good as long as you don’t piss him off... and when you do it’ll take some time to cool him down. 

I, for one, would LOVE  to see a 4-pack with the classic green-trunks version of him, Attuma, Lady Dorma and Tiger Shark. There could be a spare robe, head, arms and legs to turn Dorma into a Lord Vashti from those great “Astonish” issues. 

2 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

I, for one, would LOVE  to see a 4-pack with the classic green-trunks version of him, Attuma, Lady Dorma and Tiger Shark. There could be a spare robe, head, arms and legs to turn Dorma into a Lord Vashti from those great “Astonish” issues. 

This times 1,000! What a box set that would be... great idea!