UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What the F

Mattallica

...uck has happened to my beloved Turtles!? Screw you Nickelodeon!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles/rise-of-the-teenage-mutant-turtles-pics-reveal-very-different-incarnations-of-the-heroes-in-a-half-shell-a157521

And i thought the Michael Bay ones were bad, holy shit

Edited by Mattallica

I'll give it a try though I've never been a huge fan of the franchise. The comic book is what hooked me, not the watered down 80's cartoon, so my sense of nostalgia probably goes a little farther back.

The idea of making the brothers different species of turtles is pretty cool. They've been heading in that direction for a long time now. Given that this is a cartoon aimed at kids on a network with some pretty serious guidelines, I'm not sure what good bladed weapons are to a group of crime-fighters who are non-lethal. Energy weapons that zap opponents are more kid-friendly, I suppose.

How long Raphael lasts as leader, I don't know. He's usually the one to throw the first punch but if they're drastically altering personalities... :Dunno:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, karamazov80 said:

Not for me, but I haven't cared for really any of the Turtle stuff in recent years.  The animated, theatrical film was probably the best.

I will never not love that movie. :wub:

I try not to be precious about these things because really, in the scheme of things, who care.  That said, I'm more bothered by the intent behind the show than the look of the show.  I mean, the art style isn't for me, but you could build up a fun manga-inspired action show with that look and I could see it being popular (even if it's not for me).  The part that really bugs me was TopKnot's line about "It was all so silly, it had to be a comedy" Like I get that it's cool to make fun of stuff or deconstruct concepts, but at some point you should just lean into the curve, embrace the absurd, and make it work.

Personally, I feel really bad for the kids that will grow up with this kind of show that's too ashamed of its trappings to take things seriously.  in my experience, kids like shows that take themselves seriously (sometimes, there's room for comedy too) and those are the shows that end up becoming life-time obsessions.  The reason why Thundercats is even something we still talk about is because the creators cared enough about this merchandizing vehicle to put some love into it which lit the torch in young fans minds.  This new show is going to get forgotten as soon as it's off the air.

As someone who grew up watching the 1966 Batman series, I can sympathize with ThunderCats fans who were hoping for a more faithful, less silly adaptation of the original source material.

While Steven Universe has its merits, it's not a formula that can or should be applied to a property like this. Sure, it'll have its fans, most likely kids who never watched the original episodes or the more recent remake, but I doubt it'll have the support of parents who helped put this property on the map in the first place.