UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What are you all looking forward too?

Any minimates on the horizon your excited about?

For me the TRU spiderman wave looks pretty sweet (I know a lot of you already have it but these things take time in the colonies lol) And of course the animated waves are always pretty good. Outside marvel if anymore NBX happens that will be good.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to Marvel TRU Series 25 hitting my local shelves or TRU.com if closing stores means moving inventory to them. Infinity War will be a wallet pillager for sure.

The recent Alien assortment looks pretty promising. Hopefully we'll see another assortment or two at Toy Fair. Same with Predator.

More Gotham Minimates would be swell. I've given up on Star Trek and The Walking Dead, though. Not sure why DST bothers keeping the licenses. Hopefully we'll see more X-Files.

I guess I'm looking forward to Infinity War though my expectations are tempered because I was unimpressed with how DST handled AoU and Civil War. That and the new looks for characters, like the horrendous Spider-Man costume, don't do much for me.

I'd like to say I was excited about Alien and Predator but the last few waves have seemed particularly uninspired to me, hopefully that will change.

22 hours ago, stack32 said:

I guess I'm looking forward to Infinity War though my expectations are tempered because I was unimpressed with how DST handled AoU and Civil War. That and the new looks for characters, like the horrendous Spider-Man costume, don't do much for me.

What was wrong with AoU and Civil War? Did we miss anyone? Someone key? Or just the execution of individual Minimates?

22 hours ago, stack32 said:

I'd like to say I was excited about Alien and Predator but the last few waves have seemed particularly uninspired to me, hopefully that will change.

Series 3 and 4? Or 2 and 3? Seems like 2 and 3 (specialty and TRU) delivered a lot of needed characters and alt costumes. TRU 4 branches into three different Alien films/movies that we haven't touched before. What were you hoping for? 

Not trying to single you out, as I'm kind of used to it, just legitimately curious about those two comments. 

On 1/24/2018 at 10:47 AM, MisterPL said:

More Gotham Minimates would be swell. I've given up on Star Trek and The Walking Dead, though. Not sure why DST bothers keeping the licenses. Hopefully we'll see more X-Files.

Not sure what the status of The Walking Dead license is, but obviously we make a lot of other stuff for Star Trek, and we're not stopping anyone else from making mini-figures for either show (obviously).

Not sure if Gotham will continue, I still hope for X-Files.

I don't expect Gotham to continue unless DST shows something to retailers they can get excited about. To me that means presenting prototypes of more colorful characters from Batman's gallery of rogues like Riddler and Ivy and Firefly and Grundy and Mad Hatter and Fish and Joker Jerome. Even if end consumers don't get to see them at Toy Fair this year, I hope retailers at least get to see concept art.

As for Star Trek, obviously toy collectors aren't feeling the love. Banks might be a means to an end as a stand-in for a Minimate diorama. (Guardian of Forever bank, please?) At best kitchenware is a way to get other product into a different marketplace but I don't see Bed, Bath and Beyond stocking Star Trek Minimates at the registers. Toy collectors have no interest in the granite category. It takes forever to get one electronic ship out. Role play seems to have waned. And I'm sorry to be such a loyalist but no other minifigures are Minimates. The Star Trek Minimates in particular are what attracted me to this addiction. Nothing else satisfies so for me it's 'mates or nothing.

Fingers crossed for X-Files.

19 hours ago, DSTZach said:

What was wrong with AoU and Civil War? Did we miss anyone? Someone key? Or just the execution of individual Minimates?

Series 3 and 4? Or 2 and 3? Seems like 2 and 3 (specialty and TRU) delivered a lot of needed characters and alt costumes. TRU 4 branches into three different Alien films/movies that we haven't touched before. What were you hoping for? 

Not trying to single you out, as I'm kind of used to it, just legitimately curious about those two comments. 

Zemo is the only major character I can think of that was missing, it's more about lineups and execution. Despite having so many characters to choose from the waves/boxsets seemed stretched out, filled with unnecessary army builders and variants (suited Vision, Rampaging Hulk, Battle-Damaged War Machine). The one good army builder, the Ultron Drone, was shorted in the single packs. I was let down by the execution of a number of characters, the main ones being the Mk 45, Mk46, and War Machine Mk 3 (because it was the Mk 2 again). Not to say there was nothing good: Ant-Man, Falcon, Hulkbuster, and even Civil War Black Widow were all standouts.

Alien and Predator are more about execution and my personal taste in movies. If it's not from Predator, Alien, Aliens, or part of the Lost Tribe I'm not very interested unless the execution is very good. I was excited about the idea of Kenner Predators but very disappointed in the execution. I'm good on cloaked Predators. I have so many Xenos now that a slight color variation isn't very appealing. Briefing Dutch and Dillon were cool though. The new boxset was announced right after I posted, maybe that will have something that gets my attention.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:40 AM, MisterPL said:

As for Star Trek, obviously toy collectors aren't feeling the love. Banks might be a means to an end as a stand-in for a Minimate diorama. (Guardian of Forever bank, please?) At best kitchenware is a way to get other product into a different marketplace but I don't see Bed, Bath and Beyond stocking Star Trek Minimates at the registers. Toy collectors have no interest in the granite category. It takes forever to get one electronic ship out. Role play seems to have waned. And I'm sorry to be such a loyalist but no other minifigures are Minimates. The Star Trek Minimates in particular are what attracted me to this addiction. Nothing else satisfies so for me it's 'mates or nothing.

I wasn't suggesting you collect other Star Trek products to fill a MInimates hole, I was telling you why we still have the license for Star Trek. We have a dozen or so items in development, mostly things that require a heck of a lot more development time than Minimates: Borg figure, Reliant, TNG phaser, other stuff I can't talk about. We haven't made Kitchenware or Granix pieces since our last batch of MInimates, I think. Maybe a Borg ice cube maker. 

6 hours ago, stack32 said:

Zemo is the only major character I can think of that was missing, it's more about lineups and execution. Despite having so many characters to choose from the waves/boxsets seemed stretched out, filled with unnecessary army builders and variants (suited Vision, Rampaging Hulk, Battle-Damaged War Machine). The one good army builder, the Ultron Drone, was shorted in the single packs. I was let down by the execution of a number of characters, the main ones being the Mk 45, Mk46, and War Machine Mk 3 (because it was the Mk 2 again). Not to say there was nothing good: Ant-Man, Falcon, Hulkbuster, and even Civil War Black Widow were all standouts.

I agree there could have been more Ultrons, and I can't debate execution with you, aside from saying that tooling space for such a massive line can lead to some design compromises. I think Battle-Damaged War Machine was a legitimate variant that got you an army-builder, whether you liked that army builder or not -- at worst, it was optional. Suited Vision got us a Scarlet Witch, which otherwise might not have happened as a single. As he was designed, Rampaging Hulk was a totally legit variant, even if he appeared less grey than green in the final cut of the film. 

51 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I wasn't suggesting you collect other Star Trek products to fill a MInimates hole, I was telling you why we still have the license for Star Trek. We have a dozen or so items in development, mostly things that require a heck of a lot more development time than Minimates: Borg figure, Reliant, TNG phaser, other stuff I can't talk about. We haven't made Kitchenware or Granix pieces since our last batch of MInimates, I think. Maybe a Borg ice cube maker. 

Given what little DST offers, the annual guarantee to CBS must be very, very low. How many Trek products were released in 2017?

I'm still bummed TMNT got axed.  I gave up on Predator after all of the difficulty of trying to track down the Minimates I wanted.  I only buy the cool looking Xeno's from the Aliens waves.  I'm pretty much just strictly Marvel comics at this point.  My wallet is enjoying the reduced work schedule but I'm hoping there are some announcements of new licenses for movies or video games.

58 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

I agree there could have been more Ultrons, and I can't debate execution with you, aside from saying that tooling space for such a massive line can lead to some design compromises. I think Battle-Damaged War Machine was a legitimate variant that got you an army-builder, whether you liked that army builder or not -- at worst, it was optional. Suited Vision got us a Scarlet Witch, which otherwise might not have happened as a single. As he was designed, Rampaging Hulk was a totally legit variant, even if he appeared less grey than green in the final cut of the film.

Execution is to some degree a matter of personal taste but I think there are at least some standards we can judge on. I think few here would say the Mk 46 is as good a minimate as the Mk 47 from Homecoming. Mk 2 War Machine was a good minimate the first two times he was made, he's not a good minimate for the Mk 3. I'd agree Battle-Damaged War Machine is a legitimate variant, but it's the second appearance of a bad minimate in the wave. Eliminate some of those and you don't need a suited Vision to pair up with Scarlet Witch.

I understand there are reasons the compromises are made and I can understand it, it still means the final product is compromised.

1 hour ago, MisterMiracle said:

I'm still bummed TMNT got axed.

I don't cherry pick Minimates. I get them all, whether I'm interested in the property or not. I just love these figures that much. "Disappointment" with any Minimates for me is a very low, minimal thing, that doesn't affect my purchasing in the slightest.

But having been THE building block of my childhood, I'm super heartbroken that the 80's Turtles were cancelled. :(

46 minutes ago, TENIME_art said:

But having been THE building block of my childhood, I'm super heartbroken that the 80's Turtles were cancelled. :(

Especially when they have shown up multiple times in the current series, including a 3 episode special with Shredder, Kraang, Bebop and Rocksteady, and the Foot. :(

5 hours ago, stack32 said:

Elimminate some of those and you don't need a suited Vision to pair up with Scarlet Witch.

If you mean we could have made her earlier, that would not have been possible. We made her when we could, no sooner. I still think Suited Vision is a fun variant, and a good pair to SWitch, but again, the movie changed. I don't remember if that was a deleted scene.

i think we've eliminated army builders at this point, so future movie lines should be all killer and no filler, but the box sets at specialty will continue.

I really don’t think those waves are DSTs fault necessarily, as much as a problem of nearly identical designs in the film as earlier incarnations, some weird choices aside I think they did fine for what they were given. Hopefully Infinity War will be different with a lot of new designs and probably not as much retreading, do we know if it’ll have two waves?

Suit Vision wasn't in the movie, but cardigan Vision was. It didn't really bother me that we got him. Plain suits are useful, and I used the head to update the AoU Vision.

More movie box sets at specialty isn't great news for me, since the price is higher, but it's good that they're working for DST.

Infinity War will need more than 12 minimates, so I wonder if we'll get a second specialty box set.

51 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

If you mean we could have made her earlier, that would not have been possible. We made her when we could, no sooner. I still think Suited Vision is a fun variant, and a good pair to SWitch, but again, the movie changed. I don't remember if that was a deleted scene.

i think we've eliminated army builders at this point, so future movie lines should be all killer and no filler, but the box sets at specialty will continue.

So no 4-armed Alien grunts in Infinity War?  :(