UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

WWF Custom Minimate Preorder Thread

So the tag teams won't be part of a subscription, Luke?  Of course, you know that you can sign me up for any of the classic 'rasslers you've got coming.

As for the tag team speculation, my guess would be the LOD and Rockers.  Personally, I would most prefer the Hart Foundation (with Hart wearing the shades with mirror finish!) and Bulldogs, as they were my favorite teams and rivalry of the '80s.  And the non-wrestler could be Jimmy Hart!

But from a visual standpoint you can't beat LOD or the Rockers.  Demolition is another good choice, but since they are arguably a Road Warriors knockoff, I'm not sure if Luke would choose them.  Love to see how Luke would handle those faces with their tongues out, though!

Brain Busters would be a no-brainer if Luke were going with more NWA wrestlers, but they didn't make much of a splash in the WWF.  Tully screwed that opportunity up, sadly.  Midnight Express and Rock N Roll Express would be the other obvious NWA choices to me.  Imagine a Minimate Jim Cornette :drool:

If you had to choose one non-wrestler from WWF in the '80s, I would go with Heenan.  Greatest manager of all time, and one of the wittiest and funniest personalities in the history of the business.  But McMahon was pretty ubiquitous.  Not only was he a play-by-play man on many shows, but he hosted Tuesday Night Titans!  Jesse Ventura would be another great non-wrestler (though technically, he was once a wrestler. . .same goes for Heenan, and later for McMahon).  But he wouldn't be my first choice.  Matilda is another non-wrestler :D 

55 minutes ago, hellpop said:

Non-wrestler, eh? Seems like Mean Gene, Bobby Heenan, or Vince McMahon would be the leading contenders there.

Good call!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm again going to make a plea for Demolition and Mr. Fuji. At the time these figures are based off of, LoD was more a NWA/WCW/Japan act and Demolition was the WWFs answer to them. They came in to the WWF towards the end of Demolitions popularity. At least as memory serves. 

Honestly though, Luke could make the entire roster from this era and I would not complain in the slightest.

6 minutes ago, Tribble_WC said:

I'm again going to make a plea for Demolition and Mr. Fuji. At the time these figures are based off of, LoD was more a NWA/WCW/Japan act and Demolition was the WWFs answer to them. They came in to the WWF towards the end of Demolitions popularity. At least as memory serves. 

Honestly though, Luke could make the entire roster from this era and I would not complain in the slightest.

I mean... yeah, I agree. I think I'm more or less in for everyone from this line, lol. Guessing is just fun.

1 hour ago, Tribble_WC said:

I believe Luke said this "classic" run would be wrestlers who were around from the '80s through Wrestlemania 8.  If so, the Legion of Doom would fit in there, as they were around from '90 until '92 in WWF.  But it's true that Demolition were smack dab in the middle of the classic '80s WWF.  They had the titles for a really long time in the late '80s.  Personally, I didn't know much about LOD's NWA/WCW run as a kid (though I did rent "Starrcade: Night of the Skywalkers," which they featured prominently in, and rented the WCW NES game that had them on the cover) and associated them with WWF.  I had the action figures, and vividly remember them in the arcade game. 

Edited by karamazov80

It might be doable if you could use the X-Men Origins Blob.  I know those figures were going for next to nothing at one point.  For Yoko you would have to go with comic Blob, at least!

Bam Bam Bigalow and Vader would be the coolest looking super fat guy wrestling figures, I think.  With Akeem, the African Dream and Abdullah the Butcher close behind.

53 minutes ago, luke314pi said:

Later this year I will be figuring out my future releases to make sure I have the right parts set aside - who would you guys like to see from the years encompassing Wrestlemania 13-18? I am not as familiar with this era.

There too many good wrestlers but I would like to see Stone Cold Steve Austin, the rock, big show, mankind, dude love, cactus jack, Mick foley, Triple h, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, physco Sid, big daddy cool disel, Kane, Undertaker american bad ass and the phenom versions, the acolytes, new age Outlaws, xpac, Owen Hart, Ken Shamrock, shawn michaels, rob van dam, brock lesnar,Shane McMahon, Stephanie McMahon,Vince McMahon, Matt and Jeff hardy, the Dudley Boyz, edge and Christian, goldust, Chris benoit if no one is offended, Eddie guerrero, Chyna, x Pac, Val Venis. There's too many to name this was wrestling best era

Edited by lopez888

Here's my dilemma in answering this question, lol...

Wrestlemania 13 was in '97, which was pretty much the end of WWE's New Generation era ('93-'97). Wheras Wave 1 of your mates Luke has mostly covered WWE's Golden Era ('82-'93)... admittedly there's some overlap, and it's a rough spectrum...  I'd say your Bret Hart is more akin to his later, New Generation look, than his early Hart Foundation days. But still...

I feel like, were you to jump straight from your current wave 1 lineup, to the Post Wrestlemania 13 Attitude Era.. you'd be doing a disservice to the New Generation era. And that era was my childhood, so I'd had to see it glossed over.

SO... in all good conscious, I have to break this up into two parts...

New Generation: Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Razor Ramon, Undertaker (Purple Gloves), Doink the Clown, Yokozuna, Sycho Sid, 123 Kid, British Bulldog, Double J, Owen Hart, Sunny, Goldust, Tatanka, Lex Luger (Bret Hart would also easily top this list, had you not already made him, lol), Vader. Hunter Hearst Helmsley would also be a natural fit for the era, but I honestly rather just hold off on him and skip straight to the later,  Triple H.

Now... admittedly, some of those guys stuck around on into the attitude era, and found greater or continued success. BUT... I do feel like I'd still love to see the New Generation represented.

As for the Attitude Era... that list is going to be LOOOOONG... as one of the hallmarks of that era is that it was a great roster from the top of the card to the bottom of the card. The jobbers were just as desirable as the headliners in some cases.

Stone Cold Steve Austin & The Rock are basically your mandatory players. Kane & Mankind are also strong cases. Undertaker yet again (He was around so long with so many iconic looks, it's hard not to put him on every list)... I feel Shawn Michaels would benefit hugely from both a New Generation (Heart Break Kid) version and a later Degeneration X version. Triple H naturally, as mentioned earlier. The rest of DX would also be great, Chyna, X-Pac, The New Age Outlaws. Jeez, too many to list... The Nation of Domination, The Godfather, Val Venis, Al Snow, Goldust again... as lopez pointed out, there's something to be said for doing Mankind, Dude Love & Cactus Jack, since that was  such an integral part of Foley's characterization in the era... but... were you to only do one, I'd easily say Mankind is the most deserving, as he was the primary persona most of the time.

And then there's the entire WCW half of the Monday Night Wars, which is a whole other can of worms... (But I'm sure many here would love to see you dig into that can, lol)

For the sake of being more concise, I'll give you my top 5 for both. These are the names I'd call most essential to each era... 

New Generation: Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Razor Ramon, Yokozuna, Sycho Sid
Attitude: Steve Austin, The Rock, Mankind, Kane, Triple H

Give or take an Undertaker on both lists.

I'm also going to personally say: For the love of god sneak Goldust in there somewhere, because I love him! lol. Not the most important person in the roster. Never a main eventer. Never held the world title. But one of the most memorable and long-lasting characters in WWE's history. (While he was a huge part of both generations, I think his Attitude Era look is the more memorable, so I'd say skip to that. His early makeup/costume were simpler and less flashy, it wasn't until the Attitude Era he really started refining his look.)

Edited by Gillbob316

1 hour ago, Gillbob316 said:

Here's my dilemma in answering this question, lol...

Wrestlemania 13 was in '97, which was pretty much the end of WWE's New Generation era ('93-'97). Wheras Wave 1 of your mates Luke has mostly covered WWE's Golden Era ('82-'93)... admittedly there's some overlap, and it's a rough spectrum...  I'd say your Bret Hart is more akin to his later, New Generation look, than his early Hart Foundation days. But still...

I feel like, were you to jump straight from your current wave 1 lineup, to the Post Wrestlemania 13 Attitude Era.. you'd be doing a disservice to the New Generation era. And that era was my childhood, so I'd had to see it glossed over.

Sorry for the confusion - after this current era I will be doing the era from approximately Wrestlemania 7-12 before I move on to later years. I just want to make sure I am holding on to any parts that I might need later on.

I responded in an e-mail to Luke about the guys who I think were most important from that era, but it echoes many of you.  Stone Cold, Rock, HHH (though I'm not a huge fan of him in retrospect), and Mankind are essential.  I would say that second tier guys, but also really important are Chris Jericho, Kane, Kurt Angle, and Big Show, who also came out in that period.   And if Luke goes no further than that period, I think Eddie Guerrero would be a terrific addition to his lineup, though he made his mark in the mid-2000s.

Owen would be great, though he's probably better as a New Generation guy (Slammy Award Winning version would be my choice!).  Vader came in right before the Attitude Era.  Would work better as an early '90s WCW guy if Luke were going to handle him, but what an amazing Minimate he could be!

Hardys and Edge/Christian are also products of the Wrestlemania 17/18 period.

On another note, this morning I was playing WWF Wrestlefest, and to the discussion from yesterday--that game had both Demolition and Legion of Doom!  You couldn't pick LOD in the tag team mode, though, as they are the champions you have to challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the feedback on the wrestlers from that era! Here is a hint for my next custom: This wrestler was team captain of the football team at at Southern Methodist University (SMU) prior to starting a wrestling career. He also is a survivor of kidney cancer. 

I gotta go with a Vince McMahon idea. Just like Duke the Dumpster Droese, Repo Man, etc. I think Russo had some pretty good ideas when he was in WWF. Once he got to WCW is when he really started coming up with some horrible ideas like Judy Bagwell on a pole match, having David Arquette win the heavyweight belt, etc.