UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

WWF Custom Minimate Preorder Thread

Man's Man Steven Regal also had one of the best onscreen writeoffs, as the Godfather made his "let's have a match or you can have my ho's" offer, and he took the ho's and was never seen again. Also, Daniel Bryan pranked Regal in one of his last ever house show matches by getting the production crew to play that entrance when Regal was coming out for a match with him. 

I hated the Godfather gimmick, btw. Even at the time it was too sleazy for my tastes.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I either didn't know about that, or didn't remember it.  But that is funny as a last way to go out.

Godfather is really offensive, but at the time I didn't think much of it.  In comparison to some of the other Attitude Era stuff, it could actually be a lot sleazier!

. . .he's in the WWE Hall of Fame. . .Big Van Vader and the British Bulldogs can't make it, but Godfather can.

Recently I was watching some Mid-South wrestling, and didn't realize that Hacksaw and Ted Dibiase had a stable (with the future Doink the Clown Matt Borne), and then developed one of the most intense feuds in the territory.  It culminated in the most logical way. . .a steel cage, coal miner's glove on a pole match where both competitors wore tuxedos.

1 hour ago, karamazov80 said:

Recently I was watching some Mid-South wrestling, and didn't realize that Hacksaw and Ted Dibiase had a stable (with the future Doink the Clown Matt Borne), and then developed one of the most intense feuds in the territory.  It culminated in the most logical way. . .a steel cage, coal miner's glove on a pole match where both competitors wore tuxedos.

DiBiase is almost unrecognizable without his beard!

Love those facial expressions!  They are perfect.

You know who gave Hulk Hogan his very first WWE match at Madison Square Garden?

They had quite a role reversal a decade later.

I posted this on Facebook, but Patch Wolvie with some white pants gives you a great way to use that alternate sculpt:

RE: Godfather and the Attitude Era...

A lot of it seems worse in hindsight now that I'm an adult than it did at the time.

At the time I was a teenager raised on Beavis & Butt-Head. You're inherently more okay with being an offensive pervert as a 13 year old boy than you are as an adult man.

That said, I remember the Godfather fondly and humorously from my childhood, yet still sometimes minimize the video when watching archive footage from the attitude era on the WWE Network while taking my lunch at work.

Frankly I always loved Papa Shango too, as a supernatural character from my early childhood, when I actually believed they had the powers they had, lol.

My opinions of how women should, and shouldn't be treated/represented has changed significantly over the years.  I was never what I would consider misogynistic or anything, but I am much more empathetic now than I used to be.  I think back to the Clinton/Lewinsky issue, and at the time, I thought it was pretty crazy that we would consider impeaching a president of the U.S. over something as inconsequential as having illicit sex with someone.  Now I realize what a massive abuse of power that was, and what the emotional/psychological impact must have been on a young, impressionable female, and my opinion shifts.  Our leaders should be above that.

Godfather is a similar issue.  It's not a moralistic judgment.  But no woman becomes a prostitute out of real choice.  It's got to be a soul deadening experience, and is dangerous in countless ways.  To trivialize that for comedy isn't something I could as easily abide nowadays. . .

Fortunately, some other things in 'rasslin stand the test of time much better!  Exhibit A:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a hint for my next custom: This wrestler was a member of the original Legion of Doom in Georgia Championship Wrestling that consisted of several wrestlers, and not just Hawk and Animal. And his finishing move was created by accident when he tripped in the ring!

One of the greatest talkers and "ring psychologists" in the history of wrestling.  His story is filled with tragedy and unrealized potential, but recently he seems to have turned things around, thanks to DDP!  Nifty Netflix documentary about it.

Figure looks great!

On 9/26/2018 at 2:40 PM, karamazov80 said:

My opinions of how women should, and shouldn't be treated/represented has changed significantly over the years.  I was never what I would consider misogynistic or anything, but I am much more empathetic now than I used to be.  I think back to the Clinton/Lewinsky issue, and at the time, I thought it was pretty crazy that we would consider impeaching a president of the U.S. over something as inconsequential as having illicit sex with someone.  Now I realize what a massive abuse of power that was, and what the emotional/psychological impact must have been on a young, impressionable female, and my opinion shifts.  Our leaders should be above that.

Godfather is a similar issue.  It's not a moralistic judgment.  But no woman becomes a prostitute out of real choice.  It's got to be a soul deadening experience, and is dangerous in countless ways.  To trivialize that for comedy isn't something I could as easily abide nowadays. . .

Just wanted to say I 100% agree with everything you said here, and I think you put it very well.

I'd also probably pass on Snuka.

Jake looks great, Luke! Nice work!

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a hint for my next classic WWF custom: The championships held by this Quebec wrestler over the course of his career include the AWA World Heavyweight Championship, WCW World Television Championship, and WWF World Tag Team Championship. After he retired, he was the host of the French language programming for WCW.