UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Package Format

Swarm198

Why does Diamond stick to two and four pack formats for ‘mates? Would you all prefer larger packs with more figures that are more pertinent to the theme? Some examples:

Warriors Three? Three pack.

Sinister Six? Six pack.

Captain America 3 mates? One pack for Team Cap, one pack for Team Stark , and maybe another with Crossbones, some Army builders, Zemo, and Ross.

I feel like being able to buy an entire team, event, era, movie/show, or theme all together instead of slowly building these groups over time would be more enticing to fans (especially completionists who cry themselves to sleep at night thinking about their missing X-Force team members). You could even throw in an A-lister into the obscure character packs to ensure the big names are always in circulation.

Thoughts?

Edited by Swarm198

I like the current model but wouldn't mind seeing experimentation every now and then. Packaging that could double as an accessory/backdrop could be a neat way of doing it, make it a once a year convention exclusive. The Vault immediately springs to mind. 

I have a hankering for some single packs , I should however stress that these should only be used for some 'special' Minimates . I could define which 'mates I would consider 'special' & I'm pretty sure other members would have their own opinion of what they consider to be special .  Luke's current customs could be considered as a foray into a hitherto untapped 'single' minimate market & I genuinely wet myself if he decided to package future offerings .

'Shopko' singles were  IMHO magnificent  ( see MMDB,Hail Ivan ) .............. now I'm a packaging completist but even a die-hard opener surely sees the beauty of these things ? 

..............also I'm told that a singly packaged 'mate was available at a recent convention ?:devil:

Oh yeah ......vinimates are singly packed.

2 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

'Shopko' singles were  IMHO magnificent  ( see MMDB,Hail Ivan ) .............. now I'm a packaging completist but even a die-hard opener surely sees the beauty of these things ?

It's a package to me. I've never seen a package so great that I felt I need to not open it or buy a second one to keep in package. All I see the package as is a roadblock to get through to obtain the real treasure. 

It's not just about the end consumers (us). It's about the retailers.

Box sets jumped from $20 to $25 recently but only in the specialty market. TRU, which orders considerably more than specialty, has been retailing box sets and even 2-packs significantly lower than DST's MSRP. (Well, when they stock them at all.) Walgreens also comes in a couple dollars lower.

Then there are price points. If a 4-pack has an MSRP of $25 then we'd expect a 3-pack to retail for $18.75. DST might round that up to $18.99 just to give retailers some wiggle room on a discount.

Single figures have been retailing for $5.99. The popularity of blind bags varies by retailer but the window boxes seem to do well among collectors.

At the end of the day it's about convincing retailers that there's enough demand for Minimates in a wider variety of assortments. The Warriors Three seems like a no-brainer but I'm sure DST would probably justify making it a 4-pack by adding Thor to anchor it for retailers.

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

The Warriors Three seems like a no-brainer but I'm sure DST would probably justify making it a 4-pack by adding Thor to anchor it for retailers.

You make it sound like a bad thing but there's still plenty of really valid Thor variants that could fill that hole (Lord of Asgard, Destroyer Thor, Earth X, at least 3 ugly 90s costumes).

I think one downfall of single carded minimates would be the lack of an anchor character to sell like the 2-pack has. History seems to have shown secondary characters won’t sell as well after the first case(s) are sold through. Imagine a peg full of Carrions, Collectors, Aunt Mays, Klaues, Wongs, Mariahs, and Blizzards. 

As far as looks, I think it would look great if it were blister carded with a minimate render of the character next to the bubble, with “Collect them all” checklists on the back.

Edited by MrClean

I could see single-carded 'mates selling at checkouts if Marvel would allow them to be sold on blisters. The Greatest Hits characters would do fine there and maybe attract some newbies to the brand.

Unfortunately there's some kind of weird stipulation in place that requires no more than 30% (?) of the figure to show through the packaging. I think that pre-dates the Disney acquisition so I'm not sure if Marvel would even care anymore.

15 hours ago, bigvis497 said:

I like the current model but wouldn't mind seeing experimentation every now and then. Packaging that could double as an accessory/backdrop could be a neat way of doing it, make it a once a year convention exclusive. The Vault immediately springs to mind. 

A great opportunity for this was the Iron Man Hall of Armor 10-pack. If the package could have doubled as an actual hall of armor like from the movie I think that set would have sold better.

The packaging rules for Marvel minimates are one of the weirdest restrictions I've heard of for any license. Something like height restrictions I understand even if I think it's silly from a practical perspective, but who would really be worried about how much of a figure is visible in a package? How can it be a useful restriction? It's like a rule for the sake of having rules.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 9:00 PM, stack32 said:

The packaging rules for Marvel minimates are one of the weirdest restrictions I've heard of for any license. Something like height restrictions I understand even if I think it's silly from a practical perspective, but who would really be worried about how much of a figure is visible in a package? How can it be a useful restriction? It's like a rule for the sake of having rules.

People like their rules. Hell, Facebook/Instagram has the 20% rule that dramatically impacts your paid ads and in some cases makes them ineligible to show. Why? Because Mark said so. I do think that there are probably efficiencies at this point with the packaging design that are what make a change more cumbersome and problematic.

In the Toy Biz days, we couldn't have any windows at all. Seeing the toy, and not a picture, makes a big difference. Same with percentages. 

Now that Hasbro is the master toy licensee, restrictions are mostly non-negotiable. We are happy to be doing what we do.